Board logo

Urgent.. Horn MOT requirements
tegwin - 15/3/10 at 10:54 PM

The TVR failed last week on the horn not working..

There must be an earth issue somewhere inside the column housing... I dont have time to fix it..

So need to hook up a temporary button on the dashboard..

What are the requirements for the horn button in terms of location, size/ visibility and does it have to be labeled?

Have to retest tomorow so Im a bit pushed...

blakep82 - 15/3/10 at 10:57 PM

just has to work and the button reachable

http://www.ukmot.com/6-2.asp#Text_top

deanwelch - 15/3/10 at 10:58 PM

+1

tegwin - 15/3/10 at 11:00 PM

Will two wires protruding from the dash be sufficient?

blakep82 - 15/3/10 at 11:02 PM

try and incorporate some kind of switching device which can be activated with 1 hand and you're on to a winner

Peteff - 15/3/10 at 11:15 PM

I used to have an air horn operated by a toggle switch and it passed MOT without a label.

mediabloke - 15/3/10 at 11:20 PM

I'd have thought that you only have a permanent 12v and switched return.

Once you know which is open-circuit, use 2 scotchbloc connectors to splice a new wire as a temporary measure to get your existing one working. You'll need to run some new wire anyway, for the workaround button on your dash.

If it turns out to be the switch, you could splice both wires to your switch on the dash.

Then you can sort it out proper-like when you've more time. HTH

[Edited on 15/3/10 by mediabloke]

[Edited on 15/3/10 by mediabloke]

austin man - 15/3/10 at 11:28 PM

the switch has to switch to of when you release the pressure so the horn cannot be left on continuosly

britishtrident - 16/3/10 at 09:00 AM

If you have a Triumph Herald steering column the fault will either be at the carbon brush in steering rack that earths the rack pinnion or the earthing accross the flex coupling at the rack.

Usuall quick fix to get through MOT is to run an earth wire under the dash to the "D" clamp that allows the column length to be adjusted. Use a thin wire long enough to wind round the column whenthe steering is turned.

tegwin - 16/3/10 at 11:25 AM

There is a bit of flop in the top half of the column, so I guess thats where the earth is not conencting..

I have mounted a little momentary button on the dash for now... it should do the job until I have time to fix the actual horn..

scudderfish - 16/3/10 at 12:24 PM

Just wire it into the washer motor so the horn blows whenever you wash the screen

tegwin - 16/3/10 at 03:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Just wire it into the washer motor so the horn blows whenever you wash the screen

Haha.. do we recon that would pass lol

rusty nuts - 16/3/10 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
If you have a Triumph Herald steering column the fault will either be at the carbon brush in steering rack that earths the rack pinnion or the earthing accross the flex coupling at the rack.

Usuall quick fix to get through MOT is to run an earth wire under the dash to the "D" clamp that allows the column length to be adjusted. Use a thin wire long enough to wind round the column whenthe steering is turned.

In the dim and distant past I remember using an expansion spring around the lower column and attached to the body to get a horn working on a Herald to get it through the MOT test

David Jenkins - 16/3/10 at 10:36 PM

Maplin will sell you a nice big push button that'll handle a decent load at 12v... I use one to operate my starter solenoid.

Yours for £1.99p.