Board logo

chain riveting
theconrodkid - 20/9/10 at 08:57 PM

i want to replace the timing chain on my new steed,i have borrowed a tool to push the old pins out and break the chain but have no fittings to bell out the ends of the pins on the new chain,any recommendations for a tool,dont want to spend a fortune as i only intend on doing it once

interestedparty - 20/9/10 at 09:21 PM

I thought bike chains had a special clip that held the joining link in position, they did when I was a lad anyway.

Dingz - 20/9/10 at 09:43 PM

Centre punch, then ball pein hammer

clairetoo - 20/9/10 at 09:45 PM

Back when I used to work on bikes , you could buy timing chains which came with a split link - although the proper way was always a complete engine strip............

Mal - 21/9/10 at 04:40 AM

On modern pedal cycles the pins are held in place by friction alone. The pin pushing tool has to be used carefully to centralise the pin.
I don't know if it is the same in other chain applications.

theconrodkid - 21/9/10 at 06:44 AM

no 3 piece link i,m afraid and i cant hit it as it will be on the engine
proper ones that will bell the ends over are about £80

MakeEverything - 21/9/10 at 07:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
no 3 piece link i,m afraid and i cant hit it as it will be on the engine
proper ones that will bell the ends over are about £80

And not always effective. I changed the chain on my old motorbike, and the spur just bent over and didnt mushroom the end of the pin.
Tool cost me £60 i think.

I put a small cut in the end of the pin, followed by a centre punch and hammer. You can hit it with it in place, you just need a dolly of some description to hit against.

pewe - 21/9/10 at 10:04 AM

Official method on my classic m/bike chain was to give it a few good p*ssers with a hammer!
Needs something solid behind it - can you not slip a piece of thick chequer plate or similar behind it - then peen over with a ball-pein?
Cheers, Pewe

Mix - 21/9/10 at 04:13 PM

Hi

I thought the method was to rivet the chain off the engine and then fit in conjunction with the sprockets - or have things changed?

Regards Mick