Board logo

What's your daily drive?
Strontium Dog - 13/4/11 at 12:03 AM

What's your daily drive?

Do you succumb to the bland and cheap to run or do you just have to drive something interesting?

Do you actually use a kit as every day car?

Here's my daily drive for the last 6-7 years, 16yrs old and still going well!

Ninehigh - 13/4/11 at 01:20 AM

I've been aching for something interesting for years, however...

Miks15 - 13/4/11 at 01:43 AM

Triumph tt600 for me

[Edited on 13/4/11 by Miks15]

[Edited on 13/4/11 by Miks15]

Bare - 13/4/11 at 01:49 AM

erm.. Nice 'wing'

Ninehigh - 13/4/11 at 02:16 AM

Actually there's one of them for sale near me, is that your one in the pic?

matt_gsxr - 13/4/11 at 03:19 AM

Daily ride (fixed)

Much quicker than car if you live near Oxford.

[Edited on 13/4/11 by matt_gsxr]

froggy - 13/4/11 at 05:06 AM

My Luxo barge currently awaiting a solution to the gearbox smashing 500hp 500lb/ft holset vgt turbo it's running . Doesn't do corners but fully loaded with toys and will whup pretty much anything on 4wheels as long as it's in a straight line and above 70mph

[Edited on 13/4/11 by froggy]

flak monkey - 13/4/11 at 06:07 AM

A mixture of this when I feel like it:

And this when I dont:

ianclark1275 - 13/4/11 at 06:28 AM

this is it - not with stuff on roof all the time.

Description
Description

and this was , until i converted it, the doors didnt open after!

Description
Description

whitestu - 13/4/11 at 06:48 AM

Nothing interesting for me unfortunately - I have a Toyota Prius [but only beacuse it's free!]

Stu

speedyxjs - 13/4/11 at 06:55 AM

I have been using a 97 Jag XJ for the last 5 years but she is going to have to go in the next couple of weeks Need a cheap economical (read boring) driver

Benzine - 13/4/11 at 07:11 AM

'89 740.

DD will be an amazon when I've finished restoring it ^_^

chrisxr2 - 13/4/11 at 07:28 AM

No to bland daily drives, 03 leon cupra R, and a Suzuki ignis sport, both bloody great fun.

Jimbob - 13/4/11 at 07:33 AM

Mazda RX8 or 79 mini for me although mazda is gonna have to go soon

scootz - 13/4/11 at 07:37 AM

Freelander...

lsdweb - 13/4/11 at 07:40 AM

Audi S6 - 5.2 V10 Quattro.

swanny - 13/4/11 at 07:48 AM

bland all the way for me. 1.3 2005 corsa diesel. and a 1.6 diesel focus cmax.
only two things that keeop me sane is the knowledge that a v8 petrol kit car sits in the garage, and the fact that both oil burners do approaching 60mpg.

r1_pete - 13/4/11 at 07:51 AM

Dont know whether mine's bland, boring or what, 06 Mitsubishi L200 Warrior, still makes me smile, especially at £125 PA Road Tax, and a reasonable 33mpg.

hobbsy - 13/4/11 at 07:53 AM

Was a very sideways E39 M5 but now a diesel A3, only for a few months then possibly a 400bhp ish Evo maybe

b16mts - 13/4/11 at 07:56 AM

Currently a 2.0 twin turbo 280bhp subaru legacy estate.

seems to be a little thirsty though, so shall soon be changing to a big diesel estate ( something to cope with my wife, child and 2 great danes), something sensible like a Chrylser 300c touring CRD

Triton - 13/4/11 at 07:59 AM

Quite slow but very amusing VeeDub T25 camper

bi22le - 13/4/11 at 08:47 AM

Focus Estate 1.6 TDCI company car on 59 plate.

Does everything I need it to do and its free use and petrol (after paying the pax man for the privilage!)

Also handles quite well but again the only reason I am content with it is becasue I know I have something to enjoy when Im not working.

Biz

Liam - 13/4/11 at 08:49 AM

Old luxo-barge for me - cant resist em. A truly pimpin Vauxhall Omega Elite saloon in BRG with cream electric heated cow - mm mmmmm. 3 litre V6 and RWD = great fun. Worth absolutely nothing . I think I want an old merc S-class next - may as well do pikey-prestige properly Double glazing - mmmmmm

Mad Dave - 13/4/11 at 08:59 AM

My daily drive is an RS4 B5. 2.7 V6 twin turbo with 440 bhp

RS4 Leaving Ginetta
RS4 Leaving Ginetta

But now the weather is getting better I'll be using my Bandit 1200

Description
Description

Dave

Dangle_kt - 13/4/11 at 09:03 AM

I have the deep privilege of slipping aboard a T reg fiat brava every day for 75 mile round trip to work.

Who needs a kit car when you have the looks, the drama and racing pedigree of my italian powerhouse.

carpmart - 13/4/11 at 09:49 AM

E39 530i Sport for me! In Black with lots of black interior! ooks like a drug dealers car (apparently!)

mookaloid - 13/4/11 at 09:56 AM

Description
Description

mcerd1 - 13/4/11 at 09:57 AM

boring mk1 Focus for me.... 1.8 blacktop was enough to put a grin on your face, but nothing special

only now its hit 110k and I've run out of clutch, the brakes have gone spongy, the suspensions keeps braking on the pot holes, its got a vacume leak and the heatshields keep falling off

I'm going replace it with something alot simpler and cheaper next time.......

I caught myself looking at a 1981 fiesta the other day
and I know what they are like to drive, I had one as my daily driver for 4 years not that long ago - and I really miss it sometimes
(or if mango still had my old 106 I'd buy it back)

[Edited on 13/4/2011 by mcerd1]

Mr Whippy - 13/4/11 at 10:09 AM

usually it's my bike but if the weather is really awful then I use the Bluebird, once the Falcon is on the road the Bluebird will be taken off the road and stored

The bike is great though, amazing fun and very cheap to own, looking at taking it to Orkney in a couple of weeks time for a long weekend

dlatch - 13/4/11 at 10:17 AM

i am poor so i drive £500 worth of the finest french diesel

citroen ZX td estate

in many ways i love having a banger, with the state of the roads its not really worth having anything decent to use everyday imo

chris_harris_ - 13/4/11 at 10:26 AM

My current daily drive. Not overly exciting but i do have covert blue lights fitted to mine.

White Q5
White Q5

Strontium Dog - 13/4/11 at 10:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
I've been aching for something interesting for years, however...

Yes that's my old girl. It's a bit more beaten than the pic shows, who said a photo never lies?! If you are interested in the one local to you get someone that knows them to have a look as they have there quirks. GTFourDC is a good techy cforum for them.

And Bare that is the standard WRC wing! Lol Something like 100kg downforce at 70mph IIRC

[Edited on 13/4/11 by Strontium Dog]

FASTdan - 13/4/11 at 10:53 AM

Currently a 54 plate Mondeo ST TDCI - sort of boring sporty, I like it a bit too much though, it does most things well. I lust after something more exciting.

I also have a mk2 XR2 turbo which was my daily for about 8 years Would like to get that back on the road this year.

Keep looking at E39 M5's though lately, dont think my other half will agree though with house number 2 on the way.

[Edited on 13/4/11 by FASTdan]

coyoteboy - 13/4/11 at 11:24 AM

'Four for me too, or a 306 diesel, but you knew that (OP)

norfolkluego - 13/4/11 at 11:43 AM

Ferrari F430...
but with the shopping dings from Sainsburys car park it look remarkably like a 1.4 Civic

David Jenkins - 13/4/11 at 12:00 PM

General-purpose Ford Focus... not in the least bit exciting, but I get my driving thrills in the Toy Car!

A1 - 13/4/11 at 12:00 PM

the mk for me

loggyboy - 13/4/11 at 12:07 PM

Volvo C30 Rdesign

Its the 1.6D DRIVe which aludes to giving 73mpg - but ive only ever managed 55 trying and 45 average!

Is £30 road tax though, which is a nice feeling come renewal time.

[Edited on 13/4/11 by loggyboy]

Moorron - 13/4/11 at 12:14 PM

This but its now got a bit of rust and the rear wheels have pitted.

range rover daily drive
range rover daily drive

parkyparkinson - 13/4/11 at 12:19 PM

My daily drive 9000 miles this year and counting!

Winter Kit
Winter Kit

Winter Kit 2
Winter Kit 2

mrwibble - 13/4/11 at 12:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Volvo C30 Rdesign

Its the 1.6D DRIVe which aludes to giving 73mpg - but ive only ever managed 55 trying and 45 average!

[Edited on 13/4/11 by loggyboy]

whats that like to drive, been looking at those for a little while.

karlak - 13/4/11 at 12:32 PM

Needed to go a bit more sensible as the wife now has a 2+2 seater. so,

Audi A4 3litre tdi quattro, loads of toys on it, with a remap

coyoteboy - 13/4/11 at 12:35 PM

quote:

I get that from a 2001 2litre Tdiesel estate!

djtom - 13/4/11 at 12:45 PM

An old Volvo V40 t4 estate - 200bhp for £500.

Dents on every panel, scratches all over it, but goes like a good 'un.

Bit thirsty though, 25-27mpg is typical, and that's getting a bit too expensive.....

loggyboy - 13/4/11 at 12:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mrwibble
quote:
Volvo C30 Rdesign

Comfortable, quick enough, quiet (for a petrol let alone a diesel), very well built. My only gripe is the blatant over inflated MPG figures. If when I triedhard I could get within the worst they quote (60something) then I would be less annoyed.

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

How much more and on a computer or calculated on mileage and amount of fuel purchased? I tend to find the computers are unreliable (ususally to trick people in to thinking their getting the figures that were originally quoted!)

chrisxr2 - 13/4/11 at 01:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Quite slow but very amusing VeeDub T25 camper

Defiantely the two furthest poles apart so far, and i include the pushbike in that

mrwibble - 13/4/11 at 01:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Nothing interesting for me unfortunately - I have a Toyota Prius [but only beacuse it's free!]

Stu

lies... you flower sniffing, jesus sandle wearing hippy.

morcus - 13/4/11 at 01:58 PM

At the moment it's a Panda but I'm having to get rid of it because my lodger has moved out (It's leased). Hopefully I'll be getting something bigger and RWD, Maybe a 5 series or something simillar.

In my experience drug dealers actually tend to have pretty boring cars, the two I know of both have French cars in the form of a Xsara and a 505 estate.

coozer - 13/4/11 at 02:50 PM

This is mine, anyone want it?

cadebytiger - 13/4/11 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
usually it's my bike but if the weather is really awful then I use the Bluebird, once the Falcon is on the road the Bluebird will be taken off the road and stored

The bike is great though, amazing fun and very cheap to own, looking at taking it to Orkney in a couple of weeks time for a long weekend

That is very nice - what is it (sorry don't know anything about bikes)

DRC INDY 7 - 13/4/11 at 03:30 PM

The daily drive at the mo is a MK2 ford focus 1.6tdci 110bhp 46mpg........... bored of that now, should have a vauxhall corsa VXR in the next 2 weeks much better

eccsmk - 13/4/11 at 03:37 PM

my daily drive was an old vito 108cdi
now a combo 1.7cdti

CraigJ - 13/4/11 at 04:30 PM

My work hack is a 98 ford Ka. But at the weekend i get on the bike

2009 Kawasaki Z750

The Mrs takes the Leon Cupra. still cant sus how i got stuck with the Ka.....

Alan B - 13/4/11 at 04:38 PM

Sensible for me...good economy (for the US)...enough toys....and ok looking...IMO

Alan

Dangle_kt - 13/4/11 at 04:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cadebytiger
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

That is very nice - what is it (sorry don't know anything about bikes)

looks like a virago 535 to me.

My first bike. I had the flat bars on mine - felt like I was strapped to a missle first time I went out! the peg mounts got ground to %%%%, so I sold it for a cbr.

Mine was cream. I bet that is a joy in the highlands and islands up your way whippy!

[Edited on 13/4/11 by Dangle_kt]

Ninehigh - 13/4/11 at 05:20 PM

Well we have my mondeo, not this exact one but the right shape and colour

It's been a cracking car, no problems, fits everything in (including 6 foot big blokes) and is pretty good on the fuel.

Then there's the missus's one:

Gets about the same mileage

What I take to work depends on what's first out on the drive

Pezza - 13/4/11 at 07:50 PM

Running a tuned redtop lump muchos fun!

loggyboy - 13/4/11 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pezza

OMG I WANT - NOW - GIMME

hobzy - 13/4/11 at 08:18 PM

Mazda 6 diesel estate (boring but good workhorse and drives lovely even after 130000).

and this is the next project for winter daily driver once I've rectified the accidental (read my f@ck up) damage to the indy:

Andybarbet - 13/4/11 at 09:40 PM

Our 11 year old trusty, slightly juicy on petrol SAAB 95 TANK with more leather & gadgets than i can use on my daily commute

SAAB 95
SAAB 95

Andybarbet - 13/4/11 at 09:45 PM

And my wifes Mini

Ok, i've just realised that i have now shown you all a picture of my wifes mini !!!!

MINI
MINI

ReMan - 13/4/11 at 09:46 PM

One for every day of the week (including the MK)
A fast one, a reliable one, an economical one and a cheap one.
You decide?

mcerd1 - 13/4/11 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
....A fast one, a reliable one, an economical one and a cheap one......

....and a corsa B

HowardB - 13/4/11 at 09:59 PM

mines a wrx, you don't need a picture really. FUN in all weather,..but not as much fun as the Fury!

:-)

NigeEss - 13/4/11 at 10:21 PM

Nice........ Always like the A.

My daily is a 2001 Toyota HiAce van.

quote:
Originally posted by Pezza

[Edited on 13/4/11 by NigeEss]

austin man - 13/4/11 at 10:32 PM

A golf Mk4 GTI 1.8 turbo with a bit of jiggery pokery to the ECU

Simon - 13/4/11 at 11:07 PM

Renault Grand Espace. Compared to running costs of my old ZT 260, this works out as a free car. What more could you want

ATB

Simon

Ninehigh - 13/4/11 at 11:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
And my wifes Mini

Ok, i've just realised that i have now shown you all a picture of my wifes mini !!!!

MINI
MINI

And she can barely see over the wheel!

nick205 - 14/4/11 at 12:10 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mrwibble
quote:
Volvo C30 Rdesign

Comfortable, quick enough, quiet (for a petrol let alone a diesel), very well built. My only gripe is the blatant over inflated MPG figures. If when I triedhard I could get within the worst they quote (60something) then I would be less annoyed.

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

How much more and on a computer or calculated on mileage and amount of fuel purchased? I tend to find the computers are unreliable (ususally to trick people in to thinking their getting the figures that were originally quoted!)

Just taken on a V50 Drive co. car - same chassis/engine/interior etc.

First 1500 miles from new and I'm getting 57mog average without overly trying - which is great.

BUT - I'm seriously seriously disappointed with the car, in particular the interior which IMHO really is shite.

- Very poor plastics with lots of cheap and nasty sharp mould lines everywhere
- Poor fit and finish with horrible gaps around dash display and console LCD
- Terribly positioned ignition key slot (hidden behined indicator stalk)
- No foot rest for left foot
- Lack of space around pedals
- Very poor door pocket space
- Rubbish stereo (boomy bass and absolutely no midrange - I really can't listen to it)
- Unbelievably badly designed steering wheel with hard plastic inserts where your thumbs rest
- Glove box like a rabbit hole (deep, narrow and dark)
- Useless cup holders
- Stupidly positioned 12v power socket
- Stupid "floatingconsole" with pointless storage tray behind it
- Wires hanging out from under the dash
- Cheap, nasty and very likely to fail rear load cover
- Non removeable front head rests
- Noisey climate control

If I'd bought it with my own money I'd be selling it very quickly and looking for the Octavia I now wish I'd chosen instead

Ben_Copeland - 14/4/11 at 06:27 AM

Most days during the week a company van Mercedes Vito new shape which is surprising nice to drive.

My own car is a Mondeo Estate Ghia X 2.2L TDCI. 155bhp same as the ST but full leather and few more electrical bits.

Only done 36K and thinking of selling as I don't use it enough.

Ford Mondeo
Ford Mondeo

martin1973 - 14/4/11 at 06:44 AM

the same as mr Triton

vw t25 camper
t25
t25

[Edited on 14/4/11 by martin1973]

JoelP - 14/4/11 at 07:36 PM

vauxhall vivaro but they say its not what you got, its how you use it!

Benzine - 14/4/11 at 07:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205

- Very poor plastics with lots of cheap and nasty sharp mould lines everywhere
- Poor fit and finish with horrible gaps around dash display and console LCD
- Terribly positioned ignition key slot (hidden behined indicator stalk)
- No foot rest for left foot
- Lack of space around pedals
- Very poor door pocket space
- Rubbish stereo (boomy bass and absolutely no midrange - I really can't listen to it)
- Unbelievably badly designed steering wheel with hard plastic inserts where your thumbs rest
- Glove box like a rabbit hole (deep, narrow and dark)
- Useless cup holders
- Stupidly positioned 12v power socket
- Stupid "floatingconsole" with pointless storage tray behind it
- Wires hanging out from under the dash
- Cheap, nasty and very likely to fail rear load cover
- Non removeable front head rests
- Noisey climate control

Yeah i agree with most of those (my parents have one, they put me on their insurance a while back to drive them to the airport and back) I stalled it so much when I first started driving it, you've got to give it some or it just dies. I've had my 740 next to one and the boot space is dire on the newer volvo compared to the 740. I quite like the looks of them though and I'd certainly use the engine in a project

Ivan - 14/4/11 at 08:17 PM

Subaru Forester XT 2007 model - and I love it - gives me a smile every time I drive it - today I returned from a 3000 km trip in and around the Richtersveld - did about 600 km on gravel/stone roads and sand tracks in the desert - never faltered or got stuck, in a few days time I leave on a 2000 km 4 day round trip to the Eastern Cape and am looking forward to every km of them.

Have no idea what the fuel consumption is (high I think) and don't care but I enjoy the power and handling, that is surprisingly good for it's height, and brings a smile every time I leave so called hot hatches and others behind on the twisties.

I just dread having to replace it one day.

focijohn - 14/4/11 at 08:58 PM

Now with modulars and special tracks

Edit: The picture mummy hasn't seen...shhhhhh

[Edited on 14/4/11 by focijohn]

tegwin - 14/4/11 at 09:33 PM

LOL... did she not notice the hole in the drive :p

My daily drive. 2001 VW Polo GTI. A fairly rare beasty, even rarer in 3 door flame red.

Had a host of oddities as standard including VVT, Xenons, BBS split rims and a crude form of traction control.

Every part on it is totally OEM, VW. Drives like a brand new car

[Edited on 14/4/11 by tegwin]

hillbillyracer - 14/4/11 at 09:49 PM

51 reg VW T4 Transporter, an ex AA bought straight out of the disposal auction 4 years ago, resprayed blue. Just nudging 160,000 now & I've no plans to replace it any time soon, built like a tank, enough power & not too bad on fuel if you drive it right.

As a run-about, taking my mates to the pub etc I've got a mk4 Golf 1.6 which I bought for scrap value as the head gasket had gone & MOT ran out, it also had hand painted flowers & "All you need is Love & Wisdom" painted on the boot! Which I've removed! This replaced a Clio which was bought in similar non-running state, fixed, ran a few months & sold for a modest profit

Richard Quinn - 14/4/11 at 10:05 PM

Ford Mundane Titanium estate (co car at mo). Changing jobs and should hopefully have an A4 Allroad in a couple of weeks.

Richard Quinn - 14/4/11 at 10:05 PM

Ford Mundane Titanium estate (co car at mo). Changing jobs and should hopefully have an A4 Allroad in a couple of weeks.

Badger_McLetcher - 14/4/11 at 10:05 PM

A clapped out mk1 1.6 Focus which hasn't been through the car was for a while and thanks to my mates now has a variety of comedy penis' and "HELP" drawn on it!

RazMan - 14/4/11 at 10:18 PM

Toyota / Lexus Soarer (I call it the Lexota) 2.5TT - 380bhp and loads of fun ...... and it's up for sale too!

stevebubs - 14/4/11 at 11:10 PM

Had an F10 beemer delivered a month ago...company car, though.

Doctor Derek Doctors - 15/4/11 at 11:45 PM

1998 406 DT.

262k on the clock, covered in dents and holes from the air rifle, mis-coloured panels, seats stained with oil and filth, smokes like a tyre fire.....

......best car I've ever had.

Starts every morning, runs on veg oil, costs virtually nothing to insure, run or maintain and no stress worrying about if it gets stolen, vandalised, or blows up.

DavidW - 16/4/11 at 11:35 AM

Depending on the weather, what I'm doing or how far I need to go, one of these two....

530i

or

1986 2.5l Petrol 90