Board logo

Franschoek Motor Museum near Cape Town
Fred W B - 13/10/11 at 06:16 PM

If you are ever near Cape Town the Franschoek Motor Museum at L'Ormarins wine farm is well worth a visit.

They have 80 cars on display (a further 300 are stored separately) in 4 large purpose built halls. Very classy with tiled floors and classical music playing in the background.

When I visited last week Hall 1 displayed prewar cars (including 3 Bugattis) , Hall 2 was various Mercedes through the ages, Hall 3 was some more ordinary post WW2 war family and sports cars (Jag, Austin Healy etc) and also newer sports cars including examples of Mclaren F1 and M6 GT.

Hall 4 displayed some very significant sports and race cars including an ex Fangio Maserati 250 F, ex Jody Scheckter F1 Tyrrell, no less than 10 Ferraris, an ex Le Mans Jag D type and an ex Le Mans GT 40.

And with wine tasting and good food in a Deli even the wife will enjoy the visit.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 13/10/11 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 13/10/11 by Fred W B]

chrsgrain - 13/10/11 at 11:13 PM

Aaargh - visited recently, went to Franschoek and didn't know it was there!!

Chris

PS - Any CANAMSA updates?

FASTdan - 14/10/11 at 06:19 AM

I too went recently, I even knew it was there - but from the flyer it looked like nothing special so didnt bother.....bugger lol.

Amazing region

Ivan - 14/10/11 at 06:49 AM

Had a special day there a while back with the Cobra Club - the Curator took us around the museum an gave us a talk about many of the exhibits, explaining their history, quirks and what they are like to drive etc, he started up the D Type Jag, the 289 Cobra, Jackie Stewart's Mclaren F1 with it's tartan badging and others - also took us through their maintenance workshops where their engineer had some interesting titbits of information. Overall a great day was had by all.

Once a year they have a "Track" day where our top racing drivers get a chance to stretch the legs of some of the cars on their own track - always worth seeing and hearing - although nothing like the Goodwood day I am sure.

Fred W B - 14/10/11 at 04:34 PM

Hi Ivan, lucky for you to see / hear all that

Hi Chris, I haven't been able to get in the garage for a month now. The usual life, universe and everything getting in the way at the moment.

Cheers

Fred W B