Board logo

topgear at 8 looks interesting
will121 - 4/3/12 at 07:55 PM

Looking at the programme guide topgear has potential to be good,

bi22le - 4/3/12 at 07:57 PM

It always has the potential . . . . . .

Ill be watching as usual to watch the monkeys perform!

Jamster1233 - 4/3/12 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by will121
Looking at the programme guide topgear has potential to be good,

o yes abit of kit car i see

mookaloid - 4/3/12 at 08:11 PM

Morgan 3 wheeler hahahahah

Ninehigh - 4/3/12 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

This one?
How does that pass IVA/type approval with an exposed engine? Wouldn't like to be hit by that!

scootz - 4/3/12 at 08:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

This one?
How does that pass IVA/type approval with an exposed engine? Wouldn't like to be hit by that!

It's classed as a Trike, so comes under the MSVA requirements.

PS - are there any vehicles that you would like to be hit by?

Ninehigh - 4/3/12 at 08:50 PM

True, but a lot of the newer ones are being designed with "hitting a pedestrian" in mind, in fact I think it now forms part of the NCAP rating... The bonnets are being made "bouncier" so you don't crack your skull and the like

Antnicuk - 4/3/12 at 09:05 PM

watching top gear made me realise how good the stylus is/was (now sold) its quicker than all of them and when i drove back from the MOT station in the rain yesterday, popped the half hood on and i didnt get wet or cold!

bi22le - 4/3/12 at 09:11 PM

I feel like writing in saying that you can get a car as good for half of the cheapest of the 3.

As close as TG will get to kit cars for a while I think.

myke pocock - 4/3/12 at 09:11 PM

And it just reinforced how pig ugly the KTM is. Mind you, it DID have a Clarkson in it as well which doesnt exactly enhance the image. Thats just my opinion anyway in case someone takes exception to it!!!!

HowardB - 4/3/12 at 09:18 PM

that was great fun, and made me laugh a lot,...

dlatch - 4/3/12 at 10:00 PM

the KTM is just plain ugly with little or no charm

loved the R500 and morgan though

morcus - 4/3/12 at 11:27 PM

That Bentley replica was amazing, I'd deffinitly put my name down for one if I had a spare half million.

plentywahalla - 4/3/12 at 11:30 PM

Yet another WW2 V12 Rolls Royce engined car is paraded around with images of Spitfires and Hurricanes evoking memories of the magnificent Merlin engine.

But just like John Dodds Capri based car of the 1970's it was powered by a low tech, derated, wet sumped overweight tank engine called a meteor. It delivered just over one third of the horsepower of the Merlin as it had to be understressed because it used cheaper iron castings and sub-standard components from the Merlin production line.

A decent engine it may be ... but it is NOT a Merlin.

At least May attempted to set the record straight at the end.

alister667 - 5/3/12 at 01:42 PM

Was it really beyond them to put on a motorbike helmet and maybe a pair of decent gloves when driving cars with no windscreen about on the road in winter?

Criticising something like an R500 because you fail to wear appropriate clothing is just dumb.

I'm also in the KTM is really ugly camp.

I'd have loved to have seen Clarkson's original choice The BAC Mono.

Antnicuk - 5/3/12 at 02:57 PM

That looks very nice but the main downside is you couldnt show it off to your mates unless you just handed them the keys!!

myke pocock - 5/3/12 at 10:15 PM

Yeah, but miles better than the KTM and probably do-able with a bit of thought and redesign as a 2 seater.

JoelP - 5/3/12 at 10:22 PM

shame that May didnt press the r500 round the corner properly, but a good episode all the same.

Antnicuk - 5/3/12 at 10:26 PM

i was shocked that the R500 was 10 seconds quicker than the XBOW, i thought the xbow was quicker than that! Although with the VAG turbo engine there is plenty of scope for more power.