Board logo

How many of us have MX5s?
morcus - 5/8/12 at 08:36 PM

Just curious as in the last 5 months or so loads of us, myself included have bought or are buying MX5s.

lotusmadandy - 5/8/12 at 08:53 PM

Had mine about a month and its not a bad car, well
put together and it can be left out/driven in the rain.
It handles very well but just needs a bit more go.

Andy

Surrey Dave - 5/8/12 at 09:01 PM

I haven't got one yet!

[Edited on 5/8/12 by Surrey Dave]

zilspeed - 5/8/12 at 09:08 PM

You missed out an option for "would have one in a minute".

NigeEss - 5/8/12 at 09:09 PM

Not technically mine but the wife has one.

coozer - 5/8/12 at 09:18 PM

TOO MANY!

ReMan - 5/8/12 at 09:33 PM

4 mx5 threads on the front page!
hair
hair

morcus - 5/8/12 at 09:37 PM

I'd love a sticker like that on the car.

A guy at work has "Hooning is not a crime" on his car and I wanted to get one that said hairdressing isn't a crime. Not normally into stickers but as the car has dents already it wouldn't bother me.

BigFaceDave - 5/8/12 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
4 mx5 threads on the front page!
hair
hair

5 If you count the topics with the most recent activity!

Humbug - 5/8/12 at 09:46 PM

Had mine for absolutely ages ...June last year

Mk1 BBR Turbo so 150bhp

bigdrew - 5/8/12 at 10:02 PM

Sold the kit, bought a 5

chillis - 5/8/12 at 10:47 PM

On my second NA (MK1) which I've had for six years and about to buy another! and the current kit car has an MX5 engine and box too

Wadders - 5/8/12 at 11:17 PM

Are you going to start a self help group once enough people have come forward.....

franky - 6/8/12 at 05:56 AM

I had one for about 6 weeks, dog slow and just not powerful enough to be fun in the dry.

clairetoo - 6/8/12 at 06:35 AM

Maybe its time for an Mx5 section !

theconrodkid - 6/8/12 at 07:03 AM

just had the insurance renewal for mine (£138) so it must be a year.
fun car that took me to Le Mans and back with no probs and my weekend ride,i will prob get another when rust kills this one

whitestu - 6/8/12 at 07:13 AM

I quite like them but would have a decent 90's hot hatch in preference every day.

Stu

motorcycle_mayhem - 6/8/12 at 08:31 AM

I am *actually looking* for one at the moment (that'll shock what few friends I have left).
SWMBO's (not a hairdresser) MK1 Mundaneo is coming up for disposal (MoT date)... we can't afford a great deal these days, so looking at replacing the Mundaneo with old MX5 as a single do-it-all car (work/track/etc.)
There are so many around for sale, particularly the early cars (1.6) at an affordable outlay (£500-1000).... it's only the usual doubts over the motivations of the sellers that inhibit me. Thing is, I hear continually how reliable these things are, my doubts are becoming a lesser bearing.

OK, must get back to bathroom and my male grooming products...

phelpsa - 6/8/12 at 08:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
I quite like them but would have a decent 90's hot hatch in preference every day.

Stu

There was only one decent 90s hot hatch, and you'd pay significantly more for it than for an MX5

richardh - 6/8/12 at 09:14 AM

picked one up the other day.
mk1 eunos roadster in silver
pretty good nick inc spare wheel and most tools.

pop-ups work and its got over 10 months tax on it

was gonna use it as a daily drive but mrs said ive got too many toys and it will have to go

was gonna look at an exocet kit but shes put her foot right down on that as ive still not finished my 4x4

it needs taxing

has 4 v good tyres

seats are not ripped

new hood back in 2010

looks like new exhaust rear end too

eleccy windows

has its old stereo and an aftermarket one in it

has an AC button too

pewe - 6/8/12 at 09:23 AM

Two Mk1's fell into my lap within 2 weeks of each other late last year at the right price so it seemed rude not to.....
The resto one is a reference point and spares source for the road car (fortunately both are Classic Red).
The road car is the original Moss demonstrator on which they developed their supercharger kit.
I've added a Torsen diff and some Bilstein shocks and springs which came up on fleabay.
With 161 at the wheels and weighing in at c.850kg it's one of the best cars I've ever driven (repeating my quote about my Mk1 Golf GTi on "The Car's the Star".
Build quality is typically Japanese and as above any excuse to drop the hood and take it out for a spin or blat.
So far we've done three Autosolos (huge fun) and SWMBO and I did France and Italy storming up the passes and frightening Porkers along the way.

Cheers, Pewe10 (i.e. 2x5's - gettit?)

PS I have a "delivery mileage only" Mini supercharger for sale if anyone's interested - yours for £240 i.e. what I paid for it.
U2U me if interested - will be going on fleabay next month so let me know in the next couple of weeks.

Proby - 6/8/12 at 09:28 AM

Morcus, I've got a vinyl cutter if you want one making up for beer tokens? I've always thought of he MX5 as a hairdressers car, but then I owned an MGF VVC many years ago so who am I to make judgement! lol there is a guy at a client I go into has a supercharged MX5 with some trick suspension, I think it's running 260ish which I imagine is fun! A drive of the could quite easily change my opinion!!!

steve m - 6/8/12 at 10:00 AM

Coozer got it right

Surrey Dave - 6/8/12 at 10:55 AM

They seem great value, get a late nice one for £2 - £3k.

Whats the problem apart from 'k' series head gasket stuff?

richardh - 6/8/12 at 10:59 AM

not a good option for an exocet / mnr donor etc!

pewe - 6/8/12 at 11:01 AM

Regarding TF's a mate of mine is on his 3rd and speaks highly of them as a cost effective buy.
Must have something to do with them having MX5 components - most obviously the hood mechanism, throttle pedal etc.
He has a tame specilaist near Windsor who fettles the head gasket issue once and for all for c.£400.
Cheers, Pewe10

stevegough - 6/8/12 at 03:51 PM

Sorry, guys (and girls) this forum is called 'LOCOSTBUILDERS'. and if that isn't clear enough for you, its all about peeps building, driving and fettling their home - built creations.

Now MX5s are things you nip to the local car dealers for, part with readies and drive away. Nothing big and clever about it, its just another mass produced box - everyone and their dog has one.

May I draw your attention to " http://www.mx-5.com/Forum/ " which is a forum for all you hairdressers.

40inches - 6/8/12 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Sorry, guys (and girls) this forum is called 'LOCOSTBUILDERS'. and if that isn't clear enough for you, its all about peeps building, driving and fettling their home - built creations.

Now MX5s are things you nip to the local car dealers for, part with readies and drive away. Nothing big and clever about it, its just another mass produced box - everyone and their dog has one.

May I draw your attention to " http://www.mx-5.com/Forum/ " which is a forum for all you hairdressers.

Blimey! I find myself agreeing with Mr Gough, must go and have a lay down!!!

Irony - 6/8/12 at 04:27 PM

Not really a valid poll. Sorry Why would you click on the link if you've never had a MX5. All owners and previous owners will click the link skewing the results.

Kind Regards

Nit - Picker

Steve Hignett - 6/8/12 at 04:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Not really a valid poll. Sorry Why would you click on the link if you've never had a MX5. All owners and previous owners will click the link skewing the results.

Kind Regards

Nit - Picker

Quite bizarre then that the current results are heavily in favour of the result you state won't get ticked at all!

(i think!)

richardh - 6/8/12 at 04:47 PM

that's the point (i think)

its been a bloody long day but that's how i read it. lol

silky16v - 6/8/12 at 06:10 PM

Here is my toy and the Wife's MX5

2006 NC 2.0 with some mods and had the front bumper smoothed out, totally awesome car and i borrow every chance i get
the MK3 shape can be bought now for under 5k, but make sure you go for a 2.0 as they have LSD as standard

[Edited on 6/8/12 by silky16v]

TimC - 6/8/12 at 06:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony

Kind Regards

Nit - Picker

It's called non-response bias.

Anyhoo, I've had one and my Fiancée has one. Incidentally, if anyone has £3100 burning a hole in their pocket and wants a 50k mile 10AE in lovely condition (no rusty sills here) please let me know. It may not get up the steep forestry commission track to our new house. Will consider a swap for a tidy 4x4!

whitestu - 6/8/12 at 07:49 PM

quote:

There was only one decent 90s hot hatch, and you'd pay significantly more for it than for an MX5

What would that be then?!

Stu

vanepico - 6/8/12 at 08:07 PM

My bro wants one, any tips on what to look for in one? I know they are 10 to the penny so spares should be cheap.

franky - 6/8/12 at 09:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
My bro wants one, any tips on what to look for in one? I know they are 10 to the penny so spares should be cheap.

Rust, A missing 50bhp and hair clippings

vanepico - 7/8/12 at 05:20 AM

Haha I'll be sure to pass that on

IMO MX5s have lost all that made them fricken awesome, since those bloody EU laws preventing flip up headlights, there will never be a cool car again

silky16v - 7/8/12 at 11:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
Haha I'll be sure to pass that on

IMO MX5s have lost all that made them fricken awesome, since those bloody EU laws preventing flip up headlights, there will never be a cool car again

what a sweeping statement The Current model is the best of bunch with the correct engine output what the MX5 always never had

I've driven the MK1 and thought it was gutless and very clunky the MK2/2.5 was better but lacked the engine power
The current model with the 2.0 engine is superb handling is superb once correctly setup and the standard 4x4 springs are replaced with the correct height they where suppose to come with.

but each to own i've maybe got the best of both world got the MNR for all out fun and blasting around and the wifes MX5 when i want the comfort and luxury coupled with awesome handling and a decent engine that makes it go like it should

kipper - 7/8/12 at 11:57 AM

silky .you have smoothed the front bumper out too much? you've rubbed the front number plate away
Denis.

silky16v - 7/8/12 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kipper
silky .you have smoothed the front bumper out too much? you've rubbed the front number plate away
Denis.

lol exactly how it should be and how they where designed to be, its just stupid euro regulation make you have front numbers plates and had to have all euro MX5 MK3 raised by 25mm

even Mazda offered the bilstein lowering kit to all new mk3 mx5's bought to make them sit right

there is now a front number plate on the car cut down and fixed using plastic bolts in the honeycomb of the front grill

D Beddows - 7/8/12 at 01:29 PM

It's because a lot of us don't have the money we had 5 or so years ago the MK1 is the one to have as it's the simplest and has the pop up headlights, as standard they are a bit underwhelming but spend a couple of grand on it and it will perform and handle as well as your average kit car and you'll still have at LEAST a couple of grand in the bank over even the cheapest decent kit. If I had the money I had before the world went wrong and my little lad came along would I have one? nope - I'm I happy with it considering? 110% yes

Oh and Steve - MX5Nutz for the locostbuilders type mx5 site

Jubal - 7/8/12 at 04:06 PM

I have the other hairdresser's car, a mk3 MR2. It's a TTE turbo so maybe about 200bhp. £3k gets you into one, with track mods I'm now into low end kit car budget but it's a formidable toy, refined in comparison and still good to hustle around the track. Dry when it rains too! I still hanker after another kit which I why I pop into the for sale forum every day but nothing has taken my fancy.