Board logo

Transfer/Selling a car registration number
hughpinder - 15/10/12 at 10:46 AM

I have an old tractor, which is road registered, and my cousin want to buy the registration number to go on his classic car. How do you go about doing this and any ideas what its worth? The reg number is XFU 5.

Thanks for any assistance
Hugh

monck - 15/10/12 at 10:51 AM

i thought they somehow stopped people doing this i could be wrong but im pretty sure its the case .. sorry i cant give any more info mind...

loggyboy - 15/10/12 at 11:04 AM

Both cars need to MoT'd, (unless you just plan to retain it rather than transfer, in which case only the source car needs an MoT.
Fill in this form, http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_069390.pdf
Send off all the docs and pay the £80 fee (£105, if you want to retain it) and Roberts your mothers brother.

Humbug - 15/10/12 at 11:06 AM

This[/url] has general info about transferring but it says "...both vehicles must be ... of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate"

and this says "Types of vehicle that do not have to take an MoT test.

a Motor tractors ..."

so it looks like it won't work.

hughpinder - 15/10/12 at 11:48 AM

It looks like he may be out of luck then. The form loggyboy linked to certainly says both vehicles need to be of a type that needs a MOT, and tractors certainly don't fit that.
I'll let him know and he can persue it with officialdom if he wants.
Thanks chaps!
Hugh

owelly - 15/10/12 at 02:14 PM

I have a few agri vehicles and the V5s state 'not transferable'.