Board logo

Death of an Aston/ April Fool anatomy of a wind up
jollygreengiant - 31/3/13 at 10:34 PM

Just to whet all your whistles a little bit, hear is a photo/scan of a magazine article that one or two of you might have heard me waxing lyrical about over the past few years at some of the shows. I have finally found it and I thought that it MIGHT create some interest for the next 6 and a half hours.

ENJOY

[Edited on 1/4/13 by jollygreengiant]

Macbeast - 31/3/13 at 11:07 PM

I want to know what were the questions in the September quiz

NigeEss - 31/3/13 at 11:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
I want to know what were the questions in the September quiz

I missed that part of the article.

Shame about the car though

Westy1994 - 31/3/13 at 11:17 PM

You have invented a new game Macbeast, give the questions to the answers provided, lol..
I daren't give the questions as I fear it will be severely filtered out by the software

Shame on the demise of such an iconic car ;( , but she's up there now ( where ever that may be!) telling all iher fellow car mates of all the races she won R.I.P.

rusty nuts - 1/4/13 at 08:52 AM

Reminds me of a newspaper article that's on the wall at work about Donald Campbell crashing Bluebird through the perimeter fence at what is now Carver barracks in Essex.

jollygreengiant - 1/4/13 at 12:00 PM

Well. I suppose that this should really have been in the 'mad house' section. My apologies that it wasn't, but. I suppose that now I had better give you the back story to the the 'article', which does relate to real events and a real car.

Back in 1992/3 I was unemployed and found myself on a training course doing city and guilds motor mechanics. Anyway we had a lad on the course who was absolutely useless and should NEVER have been let loose on a spanner let alone a car. One day he bought his opel 3.0 in to the course to change the antifreeze, whilst doing so he decided that the ignition was wrong and decided to correct it by loosening the distributor (despite advice against it) and re-arranging the firing order. Suffice to say it didn't run again for a little while even though we told him what the firing order was.
At the time of this I was running a 3.5Litre Rover P5B. Towards the end of the course, some toe rag one night broke into my car and tried to steal it. They couldn't pick a 26 year old door lock (broke a quarter light to get in) or a 26 year old ignition lock (they broke the barrel out of the bakelite housing and then tried to work out how to hot wire the faded cotton covered cable, with out success) and the also removed the krooklock by breaking and bending the steering wheel. Now the quarter light was easily fixed as was reconnecting the switch to its wiring and I had a spare binnacle front for the gauges and switches. However the steering wheel I had no spare for, so I had to repair it. This involved putting it in a press to straighten it then cutting out and widening the cracks so that I could back fill them with plastic filler. sanding the filler smooth and then getting a mate of mine to respray the wheel with twin pack epoxy paint and job was a good'un.

However, the sanding of the steering wheel took several days and I used to do little bits while I was on the course during tea breaks and lunch.

One day while I was sitting doing the sanding this lad (mentioned above) walks up to me and says "Is that the wheel of your Rover?."

To which I replied sarcastically as everyone KNEW it was of my Rover "Nope it's the steering wheel of my Aston Martin."

This elicited his reply of "Cor you got and Aston Martin, that must have been expensive?."

My even more sarcastic reply was "Nah not that expensive, it only cost me £20!."

"Cor" he says, "how come it was that cheap, it must still be worth a lot, what type is it?."

So of the top of my head I tell him it's a DB4 Zagato Convertible and I bought it off a mate of mine after he was working on it and a tree fell on it and crushed it's roof. I also told him that it had a cherished number plate but that I didn't like it and was going to sell the number plate of TW1T. TO this he replies that he might be interested in it but he wanted proof. So I said that I might have a magazine article about it and I would try and dig it out over the weekend. That weekend I'm at my sisters place and between me and her partner we cobbled together the article as at the header of this posting. We did try make it as SPURIOUS as possible some blatant some subtle.

So starting at the top :-

Auto Classics did exist but ceased publishing some moths BEFORE 26th November 1992.

Great racing driver Sterrling Mos. - Close but NO banana cos of spelling.

Chassis number - who knows or cares.

Car know as 'Betty' after the owners wife. Come on now folks we are talking about the nineties here, Some Mothers Do Have Them, Frank Spencer, 'Oh Betty I think I've Done a Whoopsy', or something like that.

The millionaire owner Ivor M uney, come on now do I really HAVE to spell it out.

The owners mechanics were Larry and Mo with the owners nickname Curly. Come on now Larry, Mo and Curly, the Three Stooges.

The Car was described as a 'soft top convertible' and a tree fell on it crushing its metal roof.????????????????

The story line was by A W Yndup. HELLO.

The Picture by Drof Edsel, allegedly at Oulton park. Ok Drof backwards is FORD so that makes Ford Edsel, one of the biggest piles of motoring poo to EVER cme out of Detroit.

As for the answers to the September Quiz, the winner of a years supply of WHAT exactly. and the winners name A V Bighern and as for the address, the MEWS, ISHAM. do I really have to spell it alll out for you.

As for that lad I showed him this sheet and and he went off showing EVERYONE at the course all about this car that I had. The trouble was that everyone EXCEPT him knew it was ALL bogus, but we just didn't have the heart to let him know it was all bogus, I never did have the heart either to take the £20 off of him for the reg number TW1T.

So IF any of you got taken in by the above Death of an Aston post......................................................................................................

Sorry, but APRIL FOOL.

clairetoo - 1/4/13 at 01:34 PM

You deserve to die a slow and painfull death...........

Westy1994 - 1/4/13 at 01:44 PM

Not really in the 'true' spirit of the 1st of April , being posted on the 31st, but nice one all the same...

I did suspect , on seeing the name on the Sept quiz, that is was odd, but after a bottle of red I was prepared to accept it

Completely aside, my mate has just taken possession of a P5B, not seen it yet but hoping to next month, 'seems' a decent car, but we will see....

Westy1994 - 1/4/13 at 01:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Reminds me of a newspaper article that's on the wall at work about Donald Campbell crashing Bluebird through the perimeter fence at what is now Carver barracks in Essex.

There was a good docu on TV in the last few days about him, very informative - worth a watch if you like your history.