Board logo

Fault code reader volvo
001Ben - 1/6/13 at 06:54 PM

I have an emissions warning light on my 2005 xc90 that I could do with plugging in a fault diagnostic tools, does anyone local to me have one that I could please borrow?? I livr in ellesmere port. Alternatively any recommendations on which one i should buy?

britishtrident - 1/6/13 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 001Ben
I have an emissions warning light on my 2005 xc90 that I could do with plugging in a fault diagnostic tools, does anyone local to me have one that I could please borrow?? I livr in ellesmere port. Alternatively any recommendations on which one i should buy?

The hand held scanner market changes vey quickly so difficult to recommend a specific model good budget brands are Autel or Memoscan no need to spend a fortune entry level OBDII scanners are very cheap but you want a scanner that shows live data and pending codes and covers CAN bus.

An Autel Maxiscan MS 310 fits the bill soEbay search on that, check it is a UK seller with UK stock. for example ebay item 200843988197.

perksy - 1/6/13 at 07:44 PM

Bought an Autel Maxiscan MS509 on the recommendation of Britishtrident and it has worked on everything i have tried it on so far.
Does live data. Sensor outputs, Graphing facility etc
Even has a recording function that you can play back to help fine intermitant faults.
Bought mine from the UK Autel agent as i wanted a pukka one with a warranty (cost about £70)

001Ben - 2/6/13 at 08:14 AM

Brilliant, thanks for the info guys. I was thinking that It would be a lot more expensive than that. A friend has offered to lend me one for the weekend for now but I will definitely get one on order.

britishtrident - 2/6/13 at 09:04 AM

The first scanner I bought was a Memocan U480 -- basic but a good quality little tool but it cost me nearly £90, a year later upgraded to Memoscan U585 which reads live data and sold the U480 via the forum for istr £40 it now sells on ebay for about £15.
These days I have accumulated a variety of scanners and dongles

Reading live data is a great help particularly when looking for sensor problems that don't always throw up a fault code that points directly to the cause of the problem.

[Edited on 2/6/13 by britishtrident]

McLannahan - 2/6/13 at 09:10 AM

Have you tried using your DIM to see if there's any errors (DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes) logged?

DTC readout:
* Press and hold "READ" on the indicator stalk
* Press rear fog light button twice, in rapid succession
* DIM-screen will list a readout of DTC codes (skip through by pressing READ)

Some of the categories will show "Checking" but may never update, this is not necessarily indicative of a problem.

This works on most modern Volvos with a DIM ( Driver Information Module)

Cheers

Aaron_n_Sim - 2/6/13 at 09:32 AM

I have the memoscan that BritishTrident mentioned £15 off eBay does the job fine!

001Ben - 2/6/13 at 10:20 AM

I have tried the one my friend has lent me and it doesn't work, anyone else local have one that I could borrow today for a few hours?

001Ben - 2/6/13 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The first scanner I bought was a Memocan U480 -- basic but a good quality little tool but it cost me nearly £90, a year later upgraded to Memoscan U585 which reads live data and sold the U480 via the forum for istr £40 it now sells on ebay for about £15.
These days I have accumulated a variety of scanners and dongles

Reading live data is a great help particularly when looking for sensor problems that don't always throw up a fault code that points directly to the cause of the problem.

[Edited on 2/6/13 by britishtrident]

It was the u480 that I tried it just failed to connect .

001Ben - 2/6/13 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
Have you tried using your DIM to see if there's any errors (DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes) logged?

DTC readout:
* Press and hold "READ" on the indicator stalk
* Press rear fog light button twice, in rapid succession
* DIM-screen will list a readout of DTC codes (skip through by pressing READ)

Some of the categories will show "Checking" but may never update, this is not necessarily indicative of a problem.

This works on most modern Volvos with a DIM ( Driver Information Module)

Cheers

Sounds good, will give that a try later on :-)

Volvorsport - 2/6/13 at 12:34 PM

i bought the u480 off BT...lol

we did use it , to interrogate the canbus of a few bus/trucks at work , with mixed success ...

it works fine on my s70 tho...