Board logo

Lotus Europa
femster87 - 15/9/13 at 03:55 PM

Does anybody have a Lotus europa that I can have a look at? I am interested in one but havent seen much around

beaver34 - 15/9/13 at 04:12 PM

few and far between!

a good touring car though, surprised they didnt sell that well

thats if we are talkign about the modern ones?

femster87 - 15/9/13 at 04:14 PM

Nope the older ones S2

Volvorsport - 15/9/13 at 04:29 PM

Renault or ford?

femster87 - 15/9/13 at 04:33 PM

Not too bothered. Just always wanted one. I might be looking for a project for winter.

Volvorsport - 15/9/13 at 04:36 PM

Ill have a word tomorrow

femster87 - 15/9/13 at 04:45 PM

Thanks, is it to look at or a potential sale? project or finshed?

big_wasa - 15/9/13 at 04:48 PM

I know there where there is/was one sat in a car port at a local pub been there years. Always wanted one. I did sort of ask one of the guys there but didn't get far.

Doubt I would fit anyway

[Edited on 15/9/13 by big_wasa]

femster87 - 15/9/13 at 04:54 PM

Picture I have been looking at since yesterday

Europa
Europa

mookaloid - 15/9/13 at 05:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by femster87
Picture I have been looking at since yesterday

Europa
Europa

Is there a sort of drooly damp patch down the front of your shirt?

Thought so - can't blame you that looks really cool

Volvorsport - 15/9/13 at 05:35 PM

Look at one , lots of bits .

try banks Europa too

britishtrident - 15/9/13 at 05:48 PM

The early ones had Renault 16 engines -- very prone to difficult to solve head gasket problems, S1 had fixed side windows.

The Twincam versions have a money pit of an engine ...........the engines need constant care and are easy to damage and the worst bit is they are very expensive to repair.

Then there are the electrical niggles..................................

femster87 - 15/9/13 at 05:51 PM

If I have one, its going to have the a zetec in it and rewired. Am not a purists. Just like the look of the car

Volvorsport - 15/9/13 at 05:53 PM

well , the one my colleague is building has a zetec in it , is also a lotus 67 replica bodywork.

the early ones have a droopy front , the later ones arent as droopy at the front ...

coyoteboy - 15/9/13 at 05:54 PM

A friend of mine is restoring a Renault one currently, by far the most difficult/expensive thing so far has been finding things like light clusters and original interior parts. Plus the body will need a full resto and respray. Box and engine are not quite original IIRC, but not far off and there's a world of misinformation on what engines were actually used.

Fun to drive though, and looks really nice!

femster87 - 15/9/13 at 06:06 PM

Yeah I am thinking it might be better to find a finished one. And carry out an engine transplant

britishtrident - 15/9/13 at 07:23 PM

quote:
Yeah I am thinking it might be better to find a finished one. And carry out an engine transplant

Any engine transplant will destroy the future value.

femster87 - 15/9/13 at 07:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:

Any engine transplant will destroy the future value.

It does not matter, when it comes to sell, ill put the old engine back in. Quite a few out there with vauxhall engine thanks to Banks. And they seem to retain a decent value

smartracer - 15/9/13 at 07:58 PM

It was always my boyhood dream to have a Europa or the 'squashed bread van'
It looked best in the racing gold leaf colours. my be one day............

scootz - 15/9/13 at 09:21 PM

I've had a couple Femi.

One thing to remember... they are absolutely TINY inside. Find one nearby and try it for size before committing.

This was the last one I owned a few years back

femster87 - 15/9/13 at 09:46 PM

Scotty, You have owned every car on my list. The plan is to track one down this week. And get rid of the R6 and purchase one. How is your engine swap going?

coyoteboy - 15/9/13 at 10:05 PM

quote:

One thing to remember... they are absolutely TINY inside. Find one nearby and try it for size before committing.

This is true, Im' just over 6'1 and not built lightly and I could barely operate the controls, pedals etc were all a bit cramped.

[Edited on 15/9/13 by coyoteboy]

femster87 - 16/9/13 at 04:12 PM

Been in one this afternoon. . If fitted. Quite comfortably.. i see what you mean about tiny though.

David Jenkins - 16/9/13 at 04:15 PM

They've always had a reputation for being a bit 'fragile' in almost every respect, IIRC...

T66 - 16/9/13 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I've had a couple Femi.

This was the last one I owned a few years back

scott - You never mentioned the Europas

Thats a very sexy garage picture btw.

Slingshot showed me a pic the other day of a gorgeous home built Europa, he needs to post it up.....where are you?

slingshot2000 - 16/9/13 at 04:42 PM

quote:

Slingshot showed me a pic the other day of a gorgeous home built Europa, he needs to post it up.....where are you?

Ivan,
I am busy trying to re-learn how to post photographs, I also think the readers of this thread need to see the yellow beauty!

Regards
Jon

jacko - 16/9/13 at 06:07 PM

Stop it now i want one too but i have no chance so stop talking about them
O go on then lets see the photos please
Jacko

T66 - 16/9/13 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
quote:

Ivan,
I am busy trying to re-learn how to post photographs, I also think the readers of this thread need to see the yellow beauty!

Regards
Jon

The site doesn't seem to like my iPhone - so upload the pics to photobucket, get the app. And then share the link from that site to this one....

Wife spotted the hob nobs today, 6 of them cancelled out the run I did this morning....

scootz - 16/9/13 at 11:49 PM

You might recognise something on the pallet in that pic Ivo!

femster87 - 17/9/13 at 10:48 AM

Another picture
Europa
Europa

ReMan - 17/9/13 at 12:47 PM

quote:
Another picture
Europa
Europa

That's even better!
I'm another .long time fan, just that bity different dfrom classic sportscar shape.
I worry too though that I would not fit one, i'm only 5'10 but quite wide.

femster87 - 2/11/13 at 10:18 PM

Finally got some time and made my trip to see Richard at Banks Europa, he was welcoming and he was very genuine and nice. I have taken some pictures of his toys

Banks
Banks

Banks
Banks

Banks
Banks

Banks
Banks

The one with the smart brabus running gear is quite nice. Richards said that was the best conversion he has done. I am really tempted as I have a Smart Brabus at the moment

[Edited on 2/11/13 by femster87]

designer - 2/11/13 at 11:08 PM

I had an S2 many years ago.

As said, tiny inside, and small doors, but an excellent car for long distance drives.

They need constant attention to keep on the road, and the secret is knowing the source of all the bits used; Ford Anglia front bumper (fitted upside down), Hillman Imp rear wheel bearings, along with assorted bits from the Spittfire and Marina.

Wonder how much my ex-car would go for today?

ReMan - 3/11/13 at 12:39 AM

The trike is proper. I remember seeing one in 86 in that style at a show in Birmingham, amid all the late 70s reliant ended stuff and being hooked, I can feel a build coming on, just need more space