Board logo

Ford KA Engine Problems - Acceleration
Miks15 - 19/11/13 at 07:19 PM

Hi All,

Been a while since I've been on here (moved house and job etc so my project car is sat under a sheet at my parents house until I get some time and money to continue). But i have another car problem and you guys have never let me down so I'm back for advice.

The girlfriend recently bought a Ford KA as a cheap little run around. Shes been complaining about the car chugging a bit when trying to accelerate. I've kind of dismissed it as her driving in the wrong gear at low speeds, but I got round to taking it for a little drive today and it seems she was right. Anyway the symptoms...

All starts fine and idles fine. Sets off fine in first and drives normally 95% of the time. When you come to a round about or junction etc, so fairly slow speed, in 2nd or 3rd gear and put your foot down to join the road, its does start to chug, and jerks around quite a bit until the revs have picked up a bit and then it drives normally. Its not just hard acceleration, even just accelerating a little it can do this. Its not very comfortable to drive. I first thought would be plugs or fuel filter/injectors maybe, but has anyone had this problem before on a KA or other car can help?

I had the bonnet up, and revved it at the throttle body, and as you rev it a little bit, it sounds like it blows a blast of air from somewhere instantly, and then half a second later the revs pick up. Its not really reving on command like I'd expect. Could this be related to the above issue?

O its a 52 plate with the 1.3 endura engine.

I appreciate any advice.

Cheers All!

ian locostzx9rc2 - 19/11/13 at 08:10 PM

Maybe an air leak spray the engine/inlet manifold/ pipes etc with carb cleaner or wd40 and see if the revs increase if they do thats where the air leak is... coil pack leads and s plugs all common s/plugs do sieze in head and snap so be careful..

[Edited on 20/11/13 by ian locostzx9rc2]

MikeRJ - 19/11/13 at 08:28 PM

Worn spark plugs are quite a common issue on the Ka, they very often seize in the head so people don't bother changing them. Be careful taking them out, they can snap off relatively easily.

General driveability problems like this can also be caused by dead or dying exhaust oxygen sensors.

me! - 19/11/13 at 08:31 PM

My mums golf used to do a similar trick, a new set of leads solved it. Might be worth a go, can't be very expensive on a KA?!

britishtrident - 19/11/13 at 08:32 PM

Idle control or EGR valve clogged/sticking are also common causes.

Miks15 - 19/11/13 at 08:33 PM

doing a bit of readin on other sites, it seems other have had success with changing plugs and leads so will give that ago. Cheers for the warning Mike, will proceed with Caution.

And thanks for the tip Ian, will give that a go.

mcerd1 - 20/11/13 at 10:46 AM

yeah watch out for the spark plugs shearing off - it happened to me with my fiesta (more or less the same engine)
it was a real PITA to sort it
(mind you my plugs had been on the car for 21 years )

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
....or EGR valve clogged/sticking are also common causes.

I don't think the old KA has an EGR valve

[Edited on 20/11/2013 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 20/11/2013 by mcerd1]

RichardK - 20/11/13 at 11:07 AM

Try unplugging the maf sensor on the air filter box next time it happens won't run as good but should be driveable.

Cheers

Rich

adithorp - 20/11/13 at 02:51 PM

Before getting into exotic diagnosis sort the basics. Filters, plugs, leads, valve clearance, clean the throttle body and idle control.

Miks15 - 20/11/13 at 10:03 PM

Thanks guys, going to give it a full service this weekend and clean the bits I can get to and see what it does.

tegwin - 20/11/13 at 10:11 PM

The plastic inlet manifold has a silicone type "O" ring seal...... they fail causing an air leak...Took me months and a full top end rebuild to figure out that was the issue!

perksy - 20/11/13 at 10:57 PM

Echo the comments above regards changing the plugs, Be really careful as these are famous for breaking.
iirc the Ford dealers have a special tool to remove the remains

Give them a good soaking of Plusgas (not wd40) and take it easy.

The problem could be a few things to be honest, Don't suppose by any chance its bringing the fault code light on ?