Board logo

Top Speed
Barkalarr - 28/3/15 at 07:44 AM

Social media reports this morning that Clarkson, May and Hammond are in talks with Sky to make a new TV programme called "Top Speed" which will be based on the "Top Gear" format.

Is anyone surprised ?

I'm more surprised it's taken 3 days since he's been unemployed for this to come out.

loggyboy - 28/3/15 at 08:19 AM

Believe it when I see it.

maccmike - 28/3/15 at 08:23 AM

Funnily enough I was thinking about this last night, when all 3 rejoin, what will the name be. I wont be surprised if it happens, makes too much money. And as contracts havent been renewed, I suspect there are no clauses.

CosKev3 - 28/3/15 at 08:41 AM

I can't see them using 'Top' in the title, or using any format of Top Gear, as the BBC will be watching.

But then again Sky are probably big enough and hard faced enough to take on BBC in a legal battle!

hizzi - 28/3/15 at 09:50 AM

i wonder if the whole thing was a stunt to get away from the bbc, clarkson sold his 30% stake in top gear back to the bbc which will be a pretty penny, he would then be tied to some kind of contract but if the bbc sacked him he wouldnt have broken his deal, free agent to take up a big deal elsewhere.

iank - 28/3/15 at 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hizzi
i wonder if the whole thing was a stunt to get away from the bbc, clarkson sold his 30% stake in top gear back to the bbc which will be a pretty penny, he would then be tied to some kind of contract but if the bbc sacked him he wouldnt have broken his deal, free agent to take up a big deal elsewhere.

BBC didn't sack him, they just didn't renew his contract (which only had a few months to run anyway). I can see lawyers in the future whatever happens next.

CosKev3 - 28/3/15 at 01:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hizzi

8 million they paid for his share apparently.

coozer - 28/3/15 at 03:19 PM

David Jenkins - 28/3/15 at 03:59 PM

At least I won't have to worry about it (although I wouldn't) - I don't have Sky.

I shouldn't be at all surprised if the Beeb made life very difficult for Sky, if this ever came to pass...

[Edited on 28/3/15 by David Jenkins]

BenB - 28/3/15 at 04:46 PM

I'm just hoping they get Tori, Kari and Grant (all recently available for employment) to host Top Gear.
Now that would be fun

Simon - 29/3/15 at 12:56 AM

Those three probably have more common sense/tech ability etc etc in one of their toes than the top gear trio ever did, and they can make bigger bangs

ATB

Simon

serieslandy - 29/3/15 at 07:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I'm just hoping they get Tori, Kari and Grant (all recently available for employment) to host Top Gear.
Now that would be fun

I hope not. I've actually been watching this series of myth busters as the aren't on it.

kj - 29/3/15 at 08:46 AM

Just got rid of sky so would not watch it, never watched it for a while now.