Board logo

Mac Tools delivery franchise
liam.mccaffrey - 9/6/15 at 08:08 AM

My buddy is sick of his job and fancies doing something completely different.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how the Mac tools franchise thing works. I know you have to front up a load of cash and I've heard its insane hours.

Anyone know?

bart - 9/6/15 at 11:42 AM

mmmmmm how long do you have !
snap off , mac , all the same
I had an independent van ( all makes )
biggest problem is how much money is owed to you and getting it paid back.
after trading for 6-9 months you will easily be owed 60-90 k
you will have to write of 10% per year in bad debts

remember you will be lending money to people who cant get credit most places
a lot of mechanics are transient and seem to think if they leave a place ( they wont tell you by the way )
that there account no longer has to be paid .

all I can say is don't do it

there was a figure a few years ago . most snap on sealers go under in 18 months - and usualy all for the same amount 60 to 70 k

Rosco86 - 9/6/15 at 12:33 PM

chap on my road has just started with a new van etc, two months later had the roof cut open and all his stock nicked!

HowardB - 9/6/15 at 01:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
chap on my road has just started with a new van etc, two months later had the roof cut open and all his stock nicked!

Leicester for ya,.. !!

ReMan - 9/6/15 at 02:00 PM

Pssst!
Wanna buy some tools cheap?

Rosco86 - 9/6/15 at 08:32 PM

Haha

bart - 9/6/15 at 08:36 PM

Psst psst
Want buy a giant tin opener

adithorp - 9/6/15 at 09:05 PM

But he did sell a plasma cutter the day before...

Alan B - 9/6/15 at 11:04 PM

I've heard very similar things over here in the US too.....it's easy to sell a lot of stuff, but ever getting paid is the challenge..

Fatgadget - 10/6/15 at 10:28 AM

Used to be fairly profitable years ago though didn't it?...My local Snap On man back in the 80s certainly wasn't short of a bob or 2!..I guess these days the bragging rights of owning snap-on, facom,britool, blue-point, king dick! etc doesn't hold much water what with cheap Chinese tools capable of doing the same job just as well..

Fatgadget - 10/6/15 at 10:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86

And Id imagine getting insurance is a mare. When I used to work mobile; car alarms, mobile phones and stuff.No one would touch me insurance wise...One company said for me to be covered,Id have to be with the van at all times!