Board logo

It's Chris Evans
JC - 16/6/15 at 07:06 PM

Just announced as the new Top Gear host......quite like the sound of this, particularly after last weeks TFI !

Wonder who will be the rest of the team? Johnny Vaughan and Denise Van Outen

JoelP - 16/6/15 at 07:13 PM

I think he's an excellent choice for the job. Might even make the show better than it's ever been, writers permitting.

Simon - 16/6/15 at 07:14 PM

Let's see who we over expose on telly and radio and use him. That should irritate a few people.

ATB

Simon

bi22le - 16/6/15 at 07:27 PM

Yup, high up on choice list.

I want to see a "tame racing driver" put to use in actually reviewing cars. Plato style.

I think then rolling guest presenters would be good like;

All of the other "good" presenters (Guy Martin, Andy McNish, Jenson Button, Carl Foggerty, Leon Haslam, Jay Leno, JK. . . )

matt5964 - 16/6/15 at 07:51 PM

Good news, think JK is a good shout as they are good friends and also Plato

CNHSS1 - 16/6/15 at 07:52 PM

Plato and Evans are mates anyway so i suspect Plato will jump ship from 5th gear and join TFI Top Gear

matt5964 - 16/6/15 at 08:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
Plato and Evans are mates anyway so i suspect Plato will jump ship from 5th gear and join TFI Top Gear

Very true, and he was not in the last few 5th gears

Ugg10 - 16/6/15 at 08:19 PM

James Martin would be worth a couple of quid bet for one of the other chairs, already on BBC contract. Also writes a car column for a Sunday paper iirc.

[Edited on 16/6/15 by Ugg10]

JC - 16/6/15 at 08:54 PM

I think the BBC might go with Jody Kidd as one - she was awful with Quentin in that classic car show though...

INDY BIRD - 16/6/15 at 09:05 PM

what about Sabine Schmitz

she can drive a car pretty well?

and is a little crazy

AntonUK - 16/6/15 at 09:13 PM

Guy Martin would be awesome.

perksy - 16/6/15 at 09:34 PM

Anybody bar Jody Kidd

bi22le - 16/6/15 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
what about Sabine Schmitz

she can drive a car pretty well?

and is a little crazy

Yaw Fanzi ze Germin!

(I suggest that because she has not bine (!) mentioned yet)

Hodor - 16/6/15 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ugg10
James Martin would be worth a couple of quid bet for one of the other chairs, already on BBC contract. Also writes a car column for a Sunday paper iirc.

[Edited on 16/6/15 by Ugg10]

The chef guy? God please no.

Get Zig and Zag on.

morcus - 16/6/15 at 10:48 PM

Didn't a certain radio 2 and One show presenter say in march he wouldn't be a top gear host?

I'm with the above, please don't let James Martin on, the mille miglia program he did a few year back was awful and TopGear Magazine ran an article agreeing with me on this one.

steve m - 17/6/15 at 08:10 AM

"Let's see who we over expose on telly and radio and use him. That should irritate a few people.

ATB

Simon "

Another reason for me not watching TG again, I can not stand people who shouts, to make themselves heard,
And Chris Evans does like that idiot James Corden

steve

SJ - 17/6/15 at 10:08 AM

quote:

like that idiot James Corden

I really don't get why he has been a success. I'm sure he's a nice guy but just comes across as a bit boring and talentless.

pekwah1 - 17/6/15 at 11:34 AM

Brilliant in Gavin and Stacey, sh*te in EVERYTHING else...
Good example of something who thinks they're funnier than they are.

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

like that idiot James Corden

I really don't get why he has been a success. I'm sure he's a nice guy but just comes across as a bit boring and talentless.

SJ - 17/6/15 at 11:37 AM

quote:

Brilliant in Gavin and Stacey,

You are right, he was, but playing a character who was fairly boring and talentless.

pekwah1 - 17/6/15 at 11:39 AM

That actually just made me chuckle slightly!

Irony - 17/6/15 at 12:03 PM

I like Evans. I just hope they choose some decent co-hosts and change the format as I thought Top Gear was tired. I think I would rather the hosts from Chop Shop than Jodie Kidd.

tegwin - 17/6/15 at 12:46 PM

I really don't like Evans and his whiney voice.... But as others have said the format was tired and dull...

So shake up the show, have Evans, Guy Martin and Sabine and do something a bit different...

But its the beeb...they will play it safe and keep the same format and get in "generic" presenters who will tow the party line.... They should have left it a few years first though!

David Jenkins - 17/6/15 at 12:57 PM

Guy Martin may not be a great choice - he admitted recently that he finds it very difficult to relate to people, and sometimes needs to spend time alone. His publicity people usually limit his interview time to 30 minutes or so because of it. (They did say what his personality disorder was - Asberger Syndrome, a form of autism).

Benzine - 17/6/15 at 01:07 PM

Who's that @ 7:38?

micksalt - 17/6/15 at 01:29 PM

It's funny, the general public seem aghast at the choice of Chris Evans to replace Jeremy Clarkson, yet here on this forum, we welcome it. Then again, anyone that builds their own cars is a bit nuts.

myke pocock - 17/6/15 at 05:03 PM

How about Suzi Perry as a guest presenter occasionally. She has a very good presenting style and knows her stuff (or does her research well) I imagine they will change things a bit but still kep the essence of the show in place. After all it is a big money spinner for them.

morcus - 17/6/15 at 05:20 PM

The news is saying there will be a woman on the team and Jodie Kidd is high on the list. Am I the only one who's hoping its gonna be the return of Angela Rippon? Maybe with Adrian Charles to make up the numbers?

Daddylonglegs - 17/6/15 at 06:09 PM

Nah! Sorry, not for me I'm afraid. Never been a fan of old red head, he's too far up himself for my liking.

No more TG for me then.....

Just my opinion you understand

Fatgadget - 17/6/15 at 06:28 PM

Just goes to show how 'celebrity' obssesed this country has become....The presenters are now the 'news not what they are actually presenting. Call me an old foggy and all that,but I used to love motoring programs when they were about cars not about the clown behind the camera be it Chris Goffey.or Chris Searl or,Stanley Baxter or that biggest of all the tossers ....GRRRRRRRrrrrrrr

[Edited on 17/6/15 by Fatgadget]

SJ - 17/6/15 at 06:36 PM

quote:

Just goes to show how 'celebrity' obssesed this country has become....The presenters are now the 'news not what they are actually presenting. Call me an old foggy and all that,but I used to love motoring programs when they were about cars not about the clown behind the camera be it Chris Goffey.or Chris Searl or,Stanley Baxter or that biggest of all the tossers ....GRRRRRRRrrrrrrr

I agree with you but TG is a now a light entertainment show, not a motoring programme.

Texan - 17/6/15 at 06:44 PM

I don't count, but I'd prefer a no-name presenter with no baggage to interfere with just deciding if you liked the new presenter and the show.

How 'bout one of you guys?

While the show has continuously moved away from being a true car show, I thought this last season was the best on yet, but apparently I'm in the minority.

Xtreme Kermit - 17/6/15 at 07:45 PM

It's been an entertaining entertainment show for some time and I've enjoyed seeing cars taken to parts of the world I've not been to.

I'm a fan of Chris since he's been back on the rails and not only runs a fun breakfast show but does loads for charity.

Good on him is what I say.

02GF74 - 17/6/15 at 08:48 PM

Does it really matter?

We all will still watch then moan about it later. ..... so nothing new there then.

TG was head and shoulders above the other dross like tight rope walking dogs.

scootz - 17/6/15 at 09:47 PM

Guy Martin? Interesting guy and good to watch, but he comes across as a bit of a lone-wolf. He's great when it's just him with a single-focus, but he seems to get lost in a crowd. Would be great in a weekly 'features' spot (bike related or nutter challenge piece?)

Sabine Schmidt? She's mad, she can drive, and she's very likeable. Yes, please!

Suzi Perry? Not for me. Good facts-based presenter, but she's lacking in charisma for a crossover show like TG.

Jodie Kidd? Seems she's a shoe-in. I've no real opinion on her. Could be great, good, or crap... time will tell.

Seen Dermot O'Leary's name crop up in a few places. Decent likeable guy and I think he could turn his hand to anything really. Why not!?

Did someone really mention Jay-Kay!? Please no! That man is an arse!

Also seen Phil Glenister's name being touted and although I suspect he would be alright, I do wonder if that's just because folk can see him in the Clarkson-grouch role (one which I hope is not reprised!)? Let him do it, but no role-play please!

Wadders - 18/6/15 at 07:30 AM

I'm surprised VBH hasn't been mentioned for the female presenter, seems an obvious choice.

Previous car show experience, decent presenting skills, enthusiastic and quick driver, perky norks

micksalt - 18/6/15 at 07:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
I'm surprised VBH hasn't been mentioned for the female presenter, seems an obvious choice.

Previous car show experience, decent presenting skills, enthusiastic and quick driver, perky norks

I'd second Vicki Butler-Henderson too

AntonUK - 18/6/15 at 04:17 PM

VBH is nice, past her prime though.

She has already worked for top gear though...

sonic - 18/6/15 at 06:21 PM

Lets hope it not Jody Kidd............... that show she did with Mr pompus Wilson she was awful, so wooden and pig ugly.

I would like to see bikes featured on TG, even karting etc

David Jenkins - 18/6/15 at 07:06 PM

It's funny - I got to detest JC and his arrogance, so haven't watched TG for several years (I used to be a big fan). Now I think Chris Evans can be exceedingly annoying - but I'll give it a fair chance when it comes on, as I think it could be a good laugh. One thing CE has is tons of experience in front of the camera, together with a love of cars (how many classic Ferraris has he got?) and remarkably little arrogance, considering how rich he is. Could be fun...

RichN - 18/6/15 at 08:02 PM

What about Mark Webber to be the tame racing driver? Or a presenter for that matter.

Ninehigh - 18/6/15 at 11:25 PM

I think it would be amusing to have the other Chris Evans on too and confuse the shite out of everyone.

For an april release of course

MikeRJ - 19/6/15 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Guy Martin? Interesting guy and good to watch, but he comes across as a bit of a lone-wolf. He's great when it's just him with a single-focus, but he seems to get lost in a crowd. Would be great in a weekly 'features' spot (bike related or nutter challenge piece?)

Absolutely agreed, a top bloke in many ways, but this isn't a role he'd fit into easily. He actually suffers from some kind of Aspergers which doesn't surprise me

quote:
Did someone really mention Jay-Kay!? Please no! That man is an arse!

No argument here

quote:
Also seen Phil Glenister's name being touted and although I suspect he would be alright, I do wonder if that's just because folk can see him in the Clarkson-grouch role (one which I hope is not reprised!)? Let him do it, but no role-play please!

He was superb in Life On Mars and Ashes to Ashes, but it's only since he's appeared on other stuff that I realised his performance was so good because Gene Hunt and Philip Glenister are pretty much the same characters. The London wideboy persona grates pretty badly for me.

swanny - 19/6/15 at 11:46 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Stretton

matt5964 - 19/6/15 at 02:53 PM

http://www.rebeccaracer.com/about-rebecca

Rebecca Jackson has done some presenting and racing.

Or what about Chris Harris...

Staple balls - 19/6/15 at 04:00 PM

Chris barrie could be, fun, proper petrolhead and it might stop dave making another terrible series of red dwarf.

Simon - 19/6/15 at 05:40 PM

quote:

Seen Dermot O'Leary's name crop up in a few places. Decent likeable guy and I think he could turn his hand to anything really. Why not!?

We refer to him as Dermot O'Dreary. Dullest man on telly, possibly!

ATB

Simon

gremlin1234 - 19/6/15 at 06:25 PM

can't we have the project binky boys? - might make a good 'occasional' segment.

davidimurray - 19/6/15 at 09:28 PM

I'd like to see Paul O'Neill on TG. His enthusiasm on the touring cars is fantastic and his commentating really brightens up the races. Nice to see someone screaming and shouting at the action rather than clinically describing what is going on then offering a dull opinion!

BenB - 19/6/15 at 10:14 PM

Wouldn't argue with you about Paul O'Neil. Very personable and engaging. Could be a good choice. Carrie Byron is good at blowing up cars