Board logo

Wheeler Dealers Caterham
Hellfire - 9/9/15 at 07:28 PM

Did anybody else watch it?

I'm struggling to understand how Mike Brewer buys a 3 year old Caterham which had previously been used as a drift car demonstrator (track car, no registration) sticks a few bits on it such as lightened flywheel, uprated ECU etc and manages to end up with a road registered car on a 64 plate.

No mention of IVA costs in the summary either

Phil

kj - 9/9/15 at 07:33 PM

Got it on planner, its a mystery that one.

motorcycle_mayhem - 9/9/15 at 07:42 PM

Well, at least a 64 plate isn't going to be 'just' another 'Dutton'...

...tax exempped wiv awsum breaks..

trextr7monkey - 9/9/15 at 07:54 PM

" Lissten Guv. I'm not bull shitting you but this car is so fast you can't even see the number plate! "

JoelP - 9/9/15 at 09:02 PM

Technically, if you bought a kit to build and spent a few yearsassembling it, then tracked it a few times to test it, then finally put it through an iva, you'd rightly end up with a new plate. That's pretty much what's happened. Small issue of receipts, nothing major!

will121 - 9/9/15 at 09:35 PM

If caterham have a manufacturer type approval and if car was factory built do you need iva for each car?

CosKev3 - 10/9/15 at 06:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Technically, if you bought a kit to build and spent a few yearsassembling it, then tracked it a few times to test it, then finally put it through an iva, you'd rightly end up with a new plate. That's pretty much what's happened. Small issue of receipts, nothing major!

But surely a couple of minutes explaining the IVA test and how strict it is wouldn't have hurt?

Irony - 10/9/15 at 07:57 AM

I am a avid Wheeler Dealers watcher. I even don't mind Mike Brewer. Most people seem to find him irritating. I think the series is great. However the series was never based on reality and my brother constantly harps on about them not taking Edd Chinas time into the profits! The gaps in the work seem to get bigger bigger and the series have progress. Now I think they do all sorts of stuff they don't even mention and take into account. They did a hot rod ford pop not long back and completely redid the dash and Edd China simply says 'and we redid the dash'.

gaz_gaz - 10/9/15 at 08:15 AM

Look. no handed doughnuts!!
what a boring program it's turned into!!

ianhurley20 - 10/9/15 at 08:19 AM

If caterham have a manufacturer type approval and if car was factory built do you need iva for each car?

I think that is the point. Caterham have invested in type approval so can just register their cars as a manufacturer. And primarily this is entertainment, ok they did this task with this car so don't repeat it with every car is their way forward. I enjoyed the program and it helped my build no end by 'the boss' seeing just how much these cost and how little I am spending (cough) on mine!!

snapper - 10/9/15 at 08:41 AM

Ian

My respons to "How much did that COST!? Was always "it's a fiver off eBay luv"

[Edited on 10/9/15 by snapper]

scootz - 10/9/15 at 10:21 AM

£5k to spend... and they blow it on the likes of a naff looking exhaust guard and paint!

Why not leave it black, polish it, and open the chequebook to Jenvey and Nitron!

SteveWallace - 10/9/15 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I am a avid Wheeler Dealers watcher. I even don't mind Mike Brewer. Most people seem to find him irritating. I think the series is great. However the series was never based on reality and my brother constantly harps on about them not taking Edd Chinas time into the profits! The gaps in the work seem to get bigger bigger and the series have progress. Now I think they do all sorts of stuff they don't even mention and take into account. They did a hot rod ford pop not long back and completely redid the dash and Edd China simply says 'and we redid the dash'.

Maybe heresy to many on here, but I much prefer Wheeler Dealers to Top Gear. I did actually learn stuff by watching Ed China on the earlier series of WD that I put to use when building my kit. I can safely say that I have never learnt anything useful from TG.

It is a little bit irritating that they now seem to be loosing the original ethos of the program, which was to do up old cars for little money and sell them on - I can even accept not including labour costs as I know people who have adopted exactly this model to make a bit of extra cash in their spare time. However, as Irony has pointed out, the things that they are not including in the costs seem to be getting bigger and, in this particular episode, there is no way that Caterham would have sold them the car for that price if it wasn't for the publicity that they knew that they would get.

l5tuy - 10/9/15 at 11:39 AM

Loved the Kwak green even though it came with a 1.5k price tag.

Stu

chillis - 10/9/15 at 05:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony

He narrowed the front end as well but nothing on the steering rack or connections to the column

For the money they spent they could've built a base model new - not an episode that made much sense, indeed most of the recent series seem increasingly more unlikely.

Hellfire - 10/9/15 at 07:01 PM

Yeah but how can a 3 year old Caterham be registered as new? It doesn't matter that Caterham have type approval, it's just wrong. All the components on that car are at least three years old.....

Anyone can turn a quick profit by buying a 3 year old track car and registering it as new, however I'm not sure anyone would be able to do it....

I still find Wheeler Dealers quite entertaining though but find there's usually loads of stuff they forget to include in the costs when they total it all up at the end.

Phil

BTW, the Kawasaki green respray was worth every penny.....

[Edited on 10-9-15 by Hellfire]

dan8400 - 10/9/15 at 09:54 PM

I too like wheeler dealers.

Echoing some comments already and adding my two pence. They almost always fit new tyres and never mention it.

Just an observation. I do like the show, however, this episode made no sense. He could have turned any other kit around for a profit. Suppose it had to be something most people had heard of.

I like how they came back from the break and the car was magically painted!!

Thanks
Dan

Rossmcleod - 10/9/15 at 10:17 PM

Can someone post a link please a haven't seen the episode

Hodor - 10/9/15 at 10:39 PM

Glad to see I'm bang on trend

Description
Description

I paused the show at the end and called the missus through to come and see what they had done to the car (as she'd gone off to watch something else) and she thought I'd doctored the tv with a computer to put my car on it.

Mind you, she has her moments. I was browsing Google Earth one time and told her to go out into the garden and wave at the satellite. I had to call her in.

maccmike - 10/9/15 at 10:40 PM

In an interview the irritating toe bopping Mr Brewer said they dont include Eds time so to replicate you or I doing up a car and selling it on.

Adamirish - 10/9/15 at 10:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hodor
Glad to see I'm bang on trend

Description
Description

I was browsing Google Earth one time and told her to go out into the garden and wave at the satellite. I had to call her in.

tul214 - 11/9/15 at 06:11 AM

I watched it here

SteveWalker - 11/9/15 at 09:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
In an interview the irritating toe bopping Mr Brewer said they dont include Eds time so to replicate you or I doing up a car and selling it on.

And to be completely fair, Ed's time probably is actually free as he and his (mostly hidden) assistants are likely being paid per episode to take part in the programme, not per hour for working on the car, just as many actors are paid.

anthony1 - 11/9/15 at 11:09 AM

An interesting programme , also caught the Morgan version this week , if we all added up the number of hours spent "tinkering"our cars would cost millions!! but that for me is a passion I have had all my life........the future's Kawasaki green.......glad my car is that colour....