Board logo

Steam Trike
RedAvon - 16/6/16 at 05:01 PM

Interesting build, doubt it will pass IVA !

http://englishrussia.com/2016/06/12/russian-guy-makes-steam-engine-powered-bicycle/#comments

Sam_68 - 16/6/16 at 05:50 PM

Love it!

The front 'upright'/stub axle arrangement seems to have been copied from the MEV Eco-Exo - nice to see that British engineering is still having a global influence.

Right, I'm just nipping down to B&Q for three hot water cylinders and a soldering iron. I feel a project coming on...

morcus - 16/6/16 at 05:53 PM

love it but it does look super dangerous.

Would it definitely be unregisterable as the Trike version of IVA is different. If you did you don't have to pay road tax on steam powered vehicles.

Wadders - 16/6/16 at 05:56 PM

Hope the boiler welding is better than the rest looks like a Russian pigeon has been let loose on most of it

sprintB+ - 16/6/16 at 06:12 PM

Bit like the later Dutton set up, designed by Bodgit and co. On a serious note, its hard to believe these were (are?) a super power. Great inventor though probably on his way to the war head factory now.

softfeet - 16/6/16 at 07:16 PM

UK steam car:

Reliant Fox Steam car

softfeet - 16/6/16 at 07:20 PM

Or, if you want a steam three wheeler:

erics steam robin

David Jenkins - 16/6/16 at 07:56 PM

That Russian thing is so scary, in so many ways! Disregarding the rubbish welding, and total lack of engineering design, I wouldn't want to be within 100 yards of that boiler when it lets go... and I mean "when", not "if".

I used to run a 5" gauge model steam locomotive - roughly 1.5 gallons of water at 150psi. When you look up the tables, that's about 600 gallons of superheated steam if let loose in one go... just imagine how much water he's got boiling in that monstrosity....

I've ridden on a reproduction Stanley steam car, and the acceleration up to 50mph was astonishing. Unfortunately the steering mechanism was just too scary at higher speeds.
However, that was a flash steam boiler that probably only held about 1 pint of water at any time - just like that Reliant Fox shown above - a lot safer if it lets go (although it's not likely to as the steam is held in a continuous small-bore tube).

[Edited on 16/6/16 by David Jenkins]

Adamirish - 16/6/16 at 10:36 PM

Good god and I thought my welding was messy!

It is properly cool(or hot). A properly built one would be great fun!

LBMEFM - 18/6/16 at 04:36 AM

As mentioned above, wouldn't you just like to take it to an IVA test station to see the look on testers face.

Benzine - 18/6/16 at 09:26 AM

From MSVA application form: