Board logo

Kit car friendly MOT Garage near Henlow, Beds?
ChrisL - 7/10/16 at 12:59 PM

As the title, any suggestions of kit car (and old MX-5) friendly MOT garages near Henlow, Bedfordshire?

Cheers
Chris

AndyW - 7/10/16 at 03:56 PM

That reminds me, mine due its first MOT so could do with knowing this too!!

Toprivetguns - 8/10/16 at 05:58 AM

It's a little bit up the road from you, but Jacks hill motors in Graveley are a good bunch of blokes.
Straight to the point and honest as they come.
It's first come first serve so turn up early.
Open from 8am on Saturdays.

Andybarbet - 8/10/16 at 09:23 AM

I only used jacks Hill once, they failed my car mot on one headlight being out of alignment which is fair enough, they wouldn't adjust it for me whilst I was there, then told me I would need to book the car in another day to adjust the headlight, obviously pay for the adjustment, then bring the car back another time for the retest. It seemed a lot of hassle etc for something that I was willing to pay a for whilst my car was there. I took it home, parked it facing my garage door & adjusted it to match the other side, took it elsewhere & it passed.

I'm a real easy going guy, I prefer using local smaller companies for most things aswell but they just seemed to want to be awkward, obviously this is just my opinion, maybe they were just having a bad day but I haven't & won't ever use them again.

Good luck with the hunt for a local garage, I know of one really good, honest, trustworthy garage but it is in Ware/Hertford so a bit of a run from you.

Dingz - 8/10/16 at 12:48 PM

Iv'e taken mine to Pitstop in Bedford for many years, friendly lot.

mk1storm - 8/10/16 at 12:52 PM

Hi Chris,

Have a look at this thread....
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=204992

I've taken my Rush to Marshall Peugeot of St Neots for the past 3yrs with no problems. Friendly and professional. Also allowed me to adjust my handbrake cable (to fix a potential fail) on their ramp last year.

Cheers,
Gary

Toprivetguns - 8/10/16 at 01:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
I only used jacks Hill once, they failed my car mot on one headlight being out of alignment which is fair enough, they wouldn't adjust it for me whilst I was there, then told me I would need to book the car in another day to adjust the headlight, obviously pay for the adjustment, then bring the car back another time for the retest. It seemed a lot of hassle etc for something that I was willing to pay a for whilst my car was there. I took it home, parked it facing my garage door & adjusted it to match the other side, took it elsewhere & it passed.

Bugger, that is a shame. Sorry to hear that.

scudderfish - 8/10/16 at 03:48 PM

I always go to Predator Motorsport in Welwyn Garden City, but that's about 20 miles from you.

ChrisL - 9/10/16 at 08:38 AM

Thanks for all of the responses. I had seen the Bedford MOT thread but was wandering if there is someone closer.
I'm going to try William Rutter with the MX-5 and see how they go...

Cheers
Chris

Dingz - 9/10/16 at 09:14 AM

Ha my MX5 goes to Pitstop too!
I thought there was a bit of deja vue about this topic!

[Edited on 9/10/16 by Dingz]

ChrisL - 13/10/16 at 09:21 AM

Just had the MX-5 MOT'd at Bedford council's MOT station, passed with usual emissions close shave. I've booked the Tiger in for next month...

ChrisL - 20/11/16 at 03:35 PM

So Tiger passed on the second go. Failed the first time on a wheel bearing, which was actually my fault for not torquing a hub nut up properly.
Anyway it's a thumbs up from me.