Board logo

Last service for my Up, do it myself?
Mr Whippy - 15/9/20 at 11:31 AM

Hi,

I have an Up, it's on VW finance and I'm returning it next June as it's not required (the contract prohibits me returning it early or I have to pay them money to do so). Last year I got the local garage to service it as I was not sure if I'd keep it or not but I am now thinking of just doing the service myself and keeping all the receipts as proof and sticking to all the recommended oils, parts etc. I have the actual VW service manual. If I do that it would only cost me £60 instead of the £120 the garage want.

Is there any issue do you think that VW would have with this??

Thanks

computid - 15/9/20 at 11:49 AM

Just FYI, if you bought your car using personal contract purchase or hire purchase then you’re allowed to hand it back to the finance company if you have already paid off 50% of the loan, including any interest and fees. It's called voluntary termination.

If you’ve not paid off 50% of the loan then you have to make up the difference if you want to hand the car back. Equally, if you’ve paid off more than 50%, you won’t get that extra money back if you cancel the contract and return the car.

If you lease your car through a personal contract hire (PCH) scheme then it’s a lot more difficult to hand it back to the finance company. You can return it, but you’ll probably have to pay back any remaining money you owe on the contract, so if you still have a year left, then the lender will expect a year’s worth of fees up front.

cliftyhanger - 15/9/20 at 12:01 PM

having heard horror stories about charges made when cars are handed back at teh end of contacts, I would be reading teh T+C's very carefully. I would expect the car will need to be serviced by a VAT registered garage.
Break the agreement in any way, and expect to pay dearly (chap I know got hit for alternative make front tyres, still premium, but different brand. That was the most outrageous one in a list of costs. Others included a scuff on an alloy, small chip in windscreen, the list went on.)

Mr Whippy - 15/9/20 at 12:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by computid
Just FYI, if you bought your car using personal contract purchase or hire purchase then you’re allowed to hand it back to the finance company if you have already paid off 50% of the loan, including any interest and fees. It's called voluntary termination.

If you’ve not paid off 50% of the loan then you have to make up the difference if you want to hand the car back. Equally, if you’ve paid off more than 50%, you won’t get that extra money back if you cancel the contract and return the car.

If you lease your car through a personal contract hire (PCH) scheme then it’s a lot more difficult to hand it back to the finance company. You can return it, but you’ll probably have to pay back any remaining money you owe on the contract, so if you still have a year left, then the lender will expect a year’s worth of fees up front.

yeah that's why I'm returning it in June as that's halfway through the loan. I can't see me getting for another car from a dealer tbh or one financed by VW etc it's just not worth it due to the restrictions they place on you. Much better getting a personal loan you can pay off early with no penalty or conditions. Like I did for the Robin Hood.

[Edited on 15/9/20 by Mr Whippy]

nick205 - 15/9/20 at 12:42 PM

I'd check all Ts & Cs to make sure you're not doing anything they've said you shouldn't be doing. Whilst I've not personally bought a car on finance from a main dealer I'd be very surprised if they're not basing the cars value on having a full service history with accredited garages.

A few years back I had a string of company cars and lease terms were very clear that the cars had to be main dealer serviced to the manufacturer's schedule and all paperwork kept up to date and returned with the car. If it wasn't my employer (and me in turn) faced financial penalty.

Check first and don't get caught out!

femster87 - 15/9/20 at 01:51 PM

Just pay the extra £60 and avoid the potential pain

ReMan - 15/9/20 at 05:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by femster87
Just pay the extra £60 and avoid the potential pain

Agreed. Against all priciples but not worth the potential costs for £60

cliftyhanger - 15/9/20 at 06:47 PM

There is a local garage to us who regularly do Groupon deals. £60 for an MoT and minor service, which ain't bad. (in reality most of the service mirrors the MoT checks, so all you really get is an oil change and a stamp in the book)