Board logo

Brake caliper repaint
mikeb - 27/5/21 at 04:20 PM

I've refurbed the front calipers on my tin top. Involved a complete strip down, wire brush, degrease, some kurust stuff.
I then did 5 coats of brake caliper paint. Finish looks ok and when cold a week later the paint has cured and is dry to touch and not soft. After a drive with some decent braking, the paint feels a bit tacky, just feel they are going to be a dust magnetic! What have I done wrong or just bad paint.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08WBYQPJN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was Jenolite caliper paint.
I have the rears to do so if I've done something wrong I want to do it better for the rears.

I note some people laquer as well?

snapper - 27/5/21 at 04:42 PM

5 coats, paint is to thick.
If the tin recommend 2 coats then apply first coat and follow instructions for second coat.
I have recently done my calipers used high temp engine primer 2 coats 15mins apart allow to dry overnight. Then next day 2 coats of standard rattle can red again with time between coats as recommended on the can. Paint will be soft unless left for another night indoors

mikeb - 27/5/21 at 05:07 PM

surely it should cure in the end though? well it is cured when they are cold. I'll try high temp primer first on the rears.

Mr Whippy - 27/5/21 at 05:16 PM

Yeah 5 coats is 3 coats too many. I only use the Halfords one and never had any issues. You do need to let each coat fully cure overnight.

steve m - 27/5/21 at 07:48 PM

I know it may seem a stupid reply, but i used a paint kit designed for calipers about 5 years ago, and they still look the same today

its in the garage, so when i go out there tomorrow, i will find it and post a link

Normal paint does not work, ive tried