Board logo

DRLs
myke pocock - 15/6/21 at 07:30 PM

I want to fit DRLs to my Mk 3 MX5. I have the small light units that will fit into the lower air intake but need the operating unit that will turn them on when the ignition is turned on and then dim them when the headlights are turned on. can anyone recommend a suitable unit please? I have seen various on ebay but am not sure they will do what I want and am wary of ebay stuff.

adithorp - 15/6/21 at 09:18 PM

Do they need to dim, couldn't they just go off?
You could achieve that with an ignition switched feed to put them on and a relay triggered by the sidelights to turn them off.

40inches - 15/6/21 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
You could achieve that with an ignition switched feed to put them on and a relay triggered by the sidelights to turn them off.

That is exactly what I did, doesn't need anything more complicated

cliftyhanger - 16/6/21 at 05:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

I think you use a 5 pin relay to do that? about £2 a pop.

However, on my spitfire and the boss's MX5, the DRLs are just fed from an ignition live. Not mentioned at MOT time.

adithorp - 16/6/21 at 09:40 AM

Yes need a 5pin

Mr Whippy - 16/6/21 at 11:14 AM

Personally I prefer the headlights to come on when the ignition is turned on. DRL are a stupid idea that just causes people to drive in the fog with only those on! On my Up they are LED and so bright it wouldn't be the first time I've went off down the road at night forgetting to even turn my lights on! My Nissan is much better with the headlights coming on automatically but tbh they should just come on regardless.

myke pocock - 16/6/21 at 11:04 PM

Thanks for the replies but I would need a wiring diagram to do that. I can do the wiring no problem but the technical design bit is beyond me!

nick205 - 17/6/21 at 02:38 PM

Once you've got your DRLs sorted will you be moving on to some of those snazzy indicator strips that swoosh along the car (instead of a good old blinking indicator)?

gremlin1234 - 17/6/21 at 03:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
Thanks for the replies but I would need a wiring diagram to do that. I can do the wiring no problem but the technical design bit is beyond me!

if using led running lights, and the rest of the system uses conventional bulbs, it would be possible to 'ground' the running lights via the side lights. so side lights on means running lights off.
I don't recommend this solution because people will find it difficult to fault find,
however a similar was method used on some cars for the indicator dash repeater.

myke pocock - 17/6/21 at 04:11 PM

nick205 wash your mouth out with soap and water!!!! Strobing indicators are an invention of the Devil. My reason for fitting DRLs is that I intend to tour through Holland, Germany and Austria and just wanted extra protection when driving on the continent.

adithorp - 17/6/21 at 05:49 PM

Not a bad move. I wasn't a big fan of DRLs but when I switched to LED headlights they can with them. Once fitted it was immediately noticeable how much difference they make. Far fewer cars pulling out or turning across in front of me.

They're also more visible in daylight, from a greater angle than if you use (the focused) dip beam headlight.

nick205 - 18/6/21 at 10:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
nick205 wash your mouth out with soap and water!!!! Strobing indicators are an invention of the Devil. My reason for fitting DRLs is that I intend to tour through Holland, Germany and Austria and just wanted extra protection when driving on the continent.

Noted - strobing indicators are indeed the work of the devil

DRLs - a better idea.

JeffHs - 20/6/21 at 08:09 PM

I fitted DRLs after I drove in convoy with my wife up the A6 in Derbyshire. It was a bright sunny day but there is a lot of shade in parts. She said I disappeared when in shade. I used a standard 5 pin relay and it works a treat but I've never managed to crack the clever trick of switching the DLRs off when the indicator flashes