Board logo

Seat fitting
Acac - 24/5/22 at 08:46 PM

Looking to install some grp seats but noticed that there is no bracing under them to fit them too , have people made and or fitted there own frames or just bolted straight through the ali floor ??

Thanks for any help/advice given .

obfripper - 24/5/22 at 09:20 PM

I made frames so i could put the seats on runners, the jk seats were too tight a fit to work with the runners directly on the ali floor, and the frames spread the load over the whole floorpan.

There's a few pics in the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rt12nga2zefy7t1/AAC8JKsgbb-3Xe1cfVAbZAmXa?dl=0

The original seats were non-moveable, and although ok were never really in the right place for me, they were bolted to the floor with ply spreading the load and leveling the base with the box section at the front of the seat.

Dave

Mr Whippy - 24/5/22 at 10:51 PM

The ones I bought from MK have captive nuts built into them which I just bolted the runners to. Most of the designs I've seen are the same.

loggyboy - 24/5/22 at 11:22 PM

http://www.jkcomposites.com/seat-fixtures/

Acac - 25/5/22 at 04:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
The ones I bought from MK have captive nuts built into them which I just bolted the runners to. Most of the designs I've seen are the same.

The seats I have bought have captive nuts fitted just wondered if people had bolted them straight through the floor or made frames attached to the chassis .

Acac - 25/5/22 at 04:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
I made frames so i could put the seats on runners, the jk seats were too tight a fit to work with the runners directly on the ali floor, and the frames spread the load over the whole floorpan.

There's a few pics in the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rt12nga2zefy7t1/AAC8JKsgbb-3Xe1cfVAbZAmXa?dl=0

The original seats were non-moveable, and although ok were never really in the right place for me, they were bolted to the floor with ply spreading the load and leveling the base with the box section at the front of the seat.

Dave

When I done a search I did read through your tread and seems like a good option but have trial fitted my seats and they are very tight so not sure it’s worth putting on runners and just fitting it to suit me .

Adam .

Mr Whippy - 25/5/22 at 06:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Acac
quote:

The seats I have bought have captive nuts fitted just wondered if people had bolted them straight through the floor or made frames attached to the chassis .

Oh right, depends on how thick your floor is, if it's 3mm and your using very large washers that should be fine but personally I find the flexing you still get quite distracting and spoils the feel of the car. On my current car (not finished) I added additional square tubing to the chassis and bolted the runners to that plus the ali floor. On my beach buggy with its flat sheet steel floor I had to weld in additional ribs to prevent seat flex. If your able to weld then I'd say go for a frame.

40inches - 25/5/22 at 08:07 AM

I welded 25mm box section across the chassis, fitted runners, but still had to lift the seats 40mm to see over the bonnet!!!!!
I'm 5' 10" not actually short.
Brake line
Brake line
Seat base runners
Seat base runners

SJ - 25/5/22 at 09:07 AM

quote:
quote:

Depends how high you want them. My Cobra Roadster 7s are bolted direct to the floor as I'd be sat too high if I had runners. With fibreglass seats it would probably be a different story though

[Edited on 25/5/22 by SJ]

obfripper - 25/5/22 at 10:31 AM

My original floor was 1.5mm ali, and was quite flexible partially due to thickness, and partially due to being attached by standard head rivets that had fretted into the floor panel. I replaced the floor with 3mm ali and flange head rivets about 15 years ago and have never had any issues since.

It did take ages to get the seat mocked up in a position where the runners would allow the seat to come all the way forward, the frames also allowed the original boltholes to be used as i didn't want the floor full of holes.

The jk seats do also come with captive nuts on the back so if you're solid mounting them you can brace the back to reduce flex, some of the other seats i have seen also do this.

Dave

nick205 - 25/5/22 at 10:36 AM

I made a frame for mine using 20mm steel box section and right angle.

I didn't have seat runners. Fitted the drivers seat in the right position for me and the passenger as far back as it would go.

BenB - 25/5/22 at 03:30 PM

I just used a length of 2mm thick ali bar (by about 2cm wide) (B+Q special) to act as a spreader plate- used some sika to bond and then threw some rivets at the edges to help fix it in place. It gave the ali sheet some localised ridigity and gave me a degree of confidence the bolts/washers won't pull through (even then used penny/repair washers under the nuts).

Acac - 25/5/22 at 07:47 PM

Thanks everybody for your replies , got a few ideas now but will be making a frame rather than just bolting through the floor .

Adam .

nick205 - 26/5/22 at 10:41 AM

quote:
Thanks everybody for your replies , got a few ideas now but will be making a frame rather than just bolting through the floor .

Adam .

That's why I made a frame - just didn't feel right (or trust it) bolting the seats to an Ally sheet floor. The MK Indy chassis featured to horizontal steel box sections, but they weren't in the right place to bolt to, hence making my own frame.