Board logo

Tell me what you think!
ChrisW - 16/10/01 at 11:51 PM

Ok guys - tell me what you think (good or bad) about this new system? In particular, any extra discussion areas I could add.

Cheers!

ChrisW (Webmaster)

Dave Gilbert - 16/10/01 at 11:58 PM

Chris - thanks for telling me about this site. I found the yahoo lists far too confusing and this is a lot better. Best of luck with it!

dave

Mike Henry - 17/10/01 at 07:04 AM

quote:
Chris - thanks for telling me about this site. I found the yahoo lists far too confusing and this is a lot better. Best of luck with it!

dave

Looks good , lets see what happens with volume,
Mike Henry

paulbeyer - 17/10/01 at 09:23 AM

Chris - this looks great. Much better than the Yahoo format. Lets hope more people jump across. I'm sold on the whole thing, well done.

Steve Bird - 17/10/01 at 09:51 AM

In my opinion it's a better layout than anything else I found so far
for locosts.
It look's like the same style board that I am a member of for my
other hobby - motorbike Trials.
Check out www.trials.co.uk/ubb/cgi/Ultimate.cgi
This board is excellent and is a great source of information for a
minority sport.

Ultimately though the board is only as good as the users. So lets spread the word.

Another point is how easy can people find the board through search
engines etc..

(copied from my reply on yahoo !!)

ewanspence - 17/10/01 at 10:22 AM

I would happily move is there were enough posts to make it worth while.

ChrisW - 17/10/01 at 02:21 PM

quote:

It look's like the same style board that I am a member of for my
other hobby - motorbike Trials.
Check out www.trials.co.uk/ubb/cgi/Ultimate.cgi
the word.

That board uses a system called UBB (Ultimate Bulletin board). The guys who wrote this one basically got fed up with the costs imposed by UBB to run their software that they made their own version and gave it away free. As you say, it is very similar.

ChrisW

alan wheeldon - 26/1/02 at 10:32 PM

ive been looking for a good site on locosts for ages, now ive found one.

keep up the good work, me and a friend are building our cars in about 2 weeks, cant wait.

oh ye, were from chesterfield as well.

bob - 27/1/02 at 10:18 PM

Chris
I've only just looked at the yahoo group this week,and i'd say your just in time as it looks like their just about to all fall out of bed.
I like this format,and so far i've met a couple of nice people.
Everybody seems helpfull which is what its all about.
Maybe we can get a meeting at one of the shows.

bigdaddyadd - 28/1/02 at 02:33 AM

I have just signed up to the Locost yahoo group and have to say this site knocks spots off it. I found it quite complicated to search and post end register and confirm emails etc. There is a lot of information there but some of the users seem to be less interested in helping out or sharing knowledge. Also when the posts are emailed to you they are massively repeated. You cant have too much access to material with locost building but if I can I will try to contain my knowledge quest to these boards

James - 28/1/02 at 02:03 PM

I think the yahoo site is really a victim of it's own success- ie. too many posts mixed together.
I've persevered with the yahoo site as there are many knwoledgeable people there who are willing to help others out but I've found it much better to stick with browsing the website as opposed to having the e-mail. There appears to be a big issue with viruses with the e-mails and far too much duplication. The key with that site is either to browse back until you find the beginning of a thread or just jump into a thread and use the 'up thread' button until you get to the beginning of it. You then end up with a list of all the replies to the original post and as you work down them and get diverted along other replies you can use the 'up threa' button again to get back to the last diversion point.
Or something.... :-)

I don't know why they don't use the old news groups system. That was great especially for a topic with the volume of traffic that they have. It's also text so easy to download on slow modem, you can kill threads you're not interested in and easily find new posts.
I've not set one up myself but from speaking to others it really isn't that hard. Oh well!

James

Jon Ison - 22/2/02 at 11:08 PM

tis ok. nuff said

bass - 16/4/02 at 09:53 PM

site is very good, but, you don't like free speech

bass - 16/4/02 at 10:46 PM

what happend to 16kw? he had a lot of replies, got a lot of people going

Metal Hippy™ - 17/4/02 at 11:06 AM

It's funny how a new member can say 'Hi guys I'm back' and then start on about kw like he knows something about it....

I'd set the record straight but I reckon you already know

ChrisW - 17/4/02 at 11:20 AM

16kw was being abusive to people on this site both publically and by using u2u. He was asked to explain himself, never replied and so was banned.

Nothing to do with 'free speech' as you put it - everyone is welcome to an opinion. However I will not put up with someone being abusive to other members.

Chris

Dazza - 17/4/02 at 01:25 PM

WELL SAID, SO BE WARNED ANY "NEW COMERS!!!"
Chris will KICK ya out if you are an Idiot..

Paul_S - 17/4/02 at 05:10 PM

For a new comer the site is great and easy to navigate. When I ever get started on the car I hope to use it extensively. However, I can't get an answer to my first post, about an Irish SVA equivilant test. Do anyone have a URL for the Yahoo Locost site as someone there might be based in Ireland.

Cheers

Paul

bass - 17/4/02 at 06:35 PM

16kw wasn't abusive read what the others siad they were the ones being abusive. good site but i don't get the meaning of the stars

merlin - 17/4/02 at 07:59 PM

Site very good all round except the picture department Chris!! We need to show off our cars to get others interrested instead of just chat. Lets show them what you can build from the book aswell as talking about it??

andybuff - 17/4/02 at 09:25 PM

Excellent site a bunch of really helpful guys
would be handy if there was an area that we could up & download drawings and ideas that we have learned during our builds.The other site does have this.But this is the best site and no petty arguing.It a shame most of the active guys live oop north,is there anyone in the Kent area,if so mail me and we could arrange a meet

James - 18/4/02 at 08:57 AM

quote:

Do anyone have a URL for the Yahoo Locost site as someone there might be based in Ireland.
Cheers
Paul

Much as it grates to do so:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/locost/

Although things have improved there loads recently I'd still recommend lurking for awhile on the group before posting to get an idea of the style/tone. That way you're less likely to get flamed by some of the wonderful people there.

Good Luck,

James

chrisg - 18/4/02 at 07:51 PM

Andy,

The Conrod Kid, Dazza and Bob are southern softies, much like your self.

Cheers

Chris

James - 18/4/02 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Andy,

Cheers

Chris

Not, of course that you would forget ChrisW and also Merlin and myself!

Of the top 10 most frequent posters 5 are from down south!

What a lot of 'soft southern jessies' there are on this site!

James

bob - 18/4/02 at 10:08 PM

Thanks James you are now known as "stato"

stephen_gusterson - 19/4/02 at 10:39 PM

quote:
quote:
Andy,

Cheers

Chris

James

And if yer count the south Midlands as down saff (Im originally from Barnet, North London) and want to go a lowly 12th in the frequent posters, then its at least 6 outa 12!

ATB

Steve

Metal Hippy™ - 19/4/02 at 11:31 PM

I hope you're not suggesting that I'm a bloody Southerner.

North Notts here, almost exactly on the border with Lincolnshire and I take offense at being called Southern.

ps, this post should take me up to 3rd...

bob - 20/4/02 at 09:22 AM

Most people from the south emigrate to linconshire when they retire,this has been going on for years.
So think on rich,there could be some south in you

Metal Hippy™ - 22/4/02 at 11:19 AM

I hope that's not some kind of innuendo Mr Builder....

Anyway, I'm not from Lincolnshire, I'm in Nottinghamshire. Therefore I refuse to take any notice of that statement of yours...

bob - 22/4/02 at 11:44 AM

No rich,nothing meant by that just a larf.

I'll have to emigrate myself at retirement date,my pension will probably buy me one loaf of bread a week.

bob - 22/4/02 at 11:47 AM

Anyway,Nice one chris.

Just need one of those digital cameras now and i'll put some pics on.

Dazza that is a hint!!!

JohnFol - 22/4/02 at 01:10 PM

A few thoughts:

List of up and coming events ie autojumbles?

A compilation of FAQ's / build diaries.

Compilation of build lists, ie "you will need . . "

Review of 'the book' vs actuals, ie book says C is 123mm long. Should be 133 mm long

Indicator against posting to show the text relates to 750MC formulae rather than generic advice. ie "You can put a 1600 engine in . ." may mislead someone building a car for the formulae that this is legal.

Glossary: Trailing arms? Hub vs king pin vs upright?

Publish builders' status. ie I've just started welding and would like to find other in a similar state. I'm ready for test drive, who wants to book an airfield.

SVA section of what's covered, what's not and details of what is acceptable.

David Jenkins - 22/4/02 at 01:51 PM

Chris,

Is the clock right on your server?

Everytime a new post arrives, the time shown is about an hour earlier. Did you adjust for summertime?

cheers,

David

James - 23/4/02 at 03:13 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Andy,

Cheers

Chris

James

And if yer count the south Midlands as down saff (Im originally from Barnet, North London) and want to go a lowly 12th in the frequent posters, then its at least 6 outa 12!

ATB

Steve

With Merlin (13th) it's 7/13 which being more than 50% means this is really a "soft southern jessie's" sport. Or do I mean hobby? Or perhaps I mean art!

James

James - 23/4/02 at 03:16 PM

quote:
Thanks James you are now known as "stato"

Thanks! Well, I guess that's better than 'Soft Southern Jessie' as my tagline now reads.

Thanks Chris! You wait till I see you, I'll f'ing well...

...weep uncontrollably in true Soft Southern Jessie manner!

Just to add to the factual minefield that is this site: the top 12 posters to this site (no.12 has twice as many as no.13) have twice as many posts between them as every other member put together.

What that really tells me is that there's 12 people here who're spending far too much time on the internet when they could be building their cars!
And yes, that definately does include me! But atleast I only browse when I'm at work! And therefore have nothing worthwhile to do anyway.
Even I've not yet convinced my boss that if I brought a pile of metal and some welding gear into the office it constitutes work!

James

P.S. It's really, really sad that I worked that out isn't it?!!!
Wouldn't want anyone to think I'm bored at work or anything.

theconrodkid - 23/4/02 at 04:25 PM

You could make tea at my place,thats a hectic job,ask Bob or Merlin!

bob - 23/4/02 at 07:51 PM

Anyway Chris
What are the chances of making the e-mail addresses on this site web based, cos unless i leave aol i cant use the one you made for me.
cheers

James - 24/4/02 at 04:05 PM

quote:
Anyway Chris
What are the chances of making the e-mail addresses on this site web based, cos unless i leave aol i cant use the one you made for me.
cheers

Chris,

Is the mail system POP3/IMAP4 based?

Bob, If Chris's reply is yes then you can use: http://www.mail2web.com

to access any POP3/IMAP4 mail system anywhere.
If Chris says it's POP3 then all you need is your mail address and your password. If it's IMAP4 then you need a server name, logon name and password.
With this info you can access any of your mail accounts from anywhere in the world- for free!

Hope that helps- depends on what system the mail server uses though.

James

ChrisW - 24/4/02 at 06:15 PM

Bob/James

I know the server supports POP3 - pretty sure I installed an IMAP daemon aswell but don't quote me on that one. I'm hoping to integrate email with the u2u system in the near future so everyone will have an email address automatically.

Chris

bob - 17/5/02 at 07:49 PM

Still enjoying the site "chris"

But too much talk about the other list,who cares.

Its made my build much easier and enjoyable here,and i've met some great people on my travels too.

Cheers

Liam - 17/5/02 at 11:26 PM

I lov eyour site and i love you.

Can i hav ethay web space for my site.

Its gonna kick monkey.

Byeeee

Love liam

xxxx

stephen_gusterson - 17/5/02 at 11:35 PM

quote:
I lov eyour site and i love you.

Can i hav ethay web space for my site.

Its gonna kick monkey.

Byeeee

Love liam

xxxx

11.30 post....

pubs in Bedford just closed then Liam

ATB

Steve

Dazza - 18/5/02 at 02:33 PM

haha, i agree, bet he only had 3 beers to!!!!!!

ChrisW - 18/5/02 at 03:55 PM

What do you mean 3 beers? He could still type so it can't have been that many!

Actually, judging by that photo, he was probably drinking bacardi breezers or something similar!

Chris

Hellfire - 17/12/05 at 11:19 PM

Yeah, much better than the Yahoo list!!

Sorry it's taken a while to respond

steve_gus - 17/12/05 at 11:33 PM

WTF!

I was thinking, what new system?

then i noted its 2001!

could be a trend..... bring back retro threads from the past

where's that one about wishbone bushes and wether they should be clamped or rotate on the bolt?

atb

steve

blakep82 - 20/5/09 at 02:16 PM

seems to be working well chris. well, 8 years on and still going. must be doing something right

mangogrooveworkshop - 20/5/09 at 02:29 PM

hellbent345 - 20/5/09 at 03:07 PM

haha resurrected thread! its a good site, different to any others i am a member off, but works well,

chrisg - 20/5/09 at 04:07 PM

Eeeeeee it were all fields, far as the eye could see in them days!

I've wasted my life

Cheers

Chris