Board logo

Sierra triangle steering column bearing
pekwah1 - 2/7/21 at 02:54 PM

Hi guys,

I have a Sierra triangle upper column and need to sort out the support.
It’s currently sat through a rose joint but doesn’t sit very well and just rubs round the hole.

I’m looking to replace this for a proper bearing that the triangle section would sit in nicely, anyone have any bright ideas as I can’t find anything.

Description
Description

Thanks
Andy

wonderfulweasel - 2/7/21 at 03:37 PM

I’ve used a pillow bearing with the same diameter as the original Sierra plastic bushing. I guess you may no longer have the plastic bushing though.

I think some companies do offer a bearing that has a similar diameter to the three points of the triangle, so that it sits snuggly inside. However, I may be wrong about this!

rusty nuts - 2/7/21 at 04:36 PM

There was a post on here somewhere suggesting a self aligning bearing which I have used on my car , helps considerably with self entering as well

pekwah1 - 2/7/21 at 05:19 PM

Hi yes I don’t have a bush for the column, was also looking for one of these thinking I’d just put that inside a bearing but can’t find the bushing either

big_wasa - 2/7/21 at 06:01 PM

The Sierra bush is available as part of a kit but it’s not cheap

eBay Item

The bearing is a 25mm self aligning pillow block bearing then you take a tiny bit of the bush for a nice snug fit.

[Edited on 2/7/21 by big_wasa]

procomp - 4/7/21 at 05:46 PM

Hi, i have loads of the bush kits ( i brought them when they where £1.50 ) give me address ill pop one in post FOC.

Cheers Matt

PS yes it is a 25mm or 1" bearing requires for the bush to fit in. 1" 25.4mm is perfect.

pekwah1 - 4/7/21 at 06:02 PM

Hi matt,

What a gent! Have sent a U2U