Board logo

Car Trailer - Size
Jeano - 2/2/22 at 08:55 AM

What are the width and length of a MK Indy/Locost?

Can you get away with a slightly smaller trailer than a car trailer?

Stuart Walker - 2/2/22 at 09:42 AM

My locost is...

Width (outside of tyre to outside of tyre): 1.5m
Length (front of front tyre to back of back tyre): 2.9m
Absolute length (Nose to tail): 3.2m

nick205 - 2/2/22 at 10:24 AM

Don't have my MK Indy any more so can't measure for you.

However, are there rules about overhanging the trailer to the front, sides and rear?

We've all seen builders and the like with maybe a scafold pole overhanging and some material tied to the end to warn other road users. I'd imagine overhaning the trailer (rear lights in particular) may be an issue though with a whold kit car/Locost.

indykid - 2/2/22 at 10:47 AM

An Indy has the same rear track as a Sierra

nick205 - 2/2/22 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by indykid
An Indy has the same rear track as a Sierra

Spot on - the Sierra diff and drive shafts are un-modified.

The front - the steering rack body is narrowed, but the track rods are fitted with extensions. That may mean the front track is the same as the Sierra as well.

Sanzomat - 2/2/22 at 03:15 PM

My Locost has MK Indy Classic front wishbones. It JUST fits on my trailer with a bed width of 1680mm. Literally a couple of mm spare each side. The rear on mine has Sierra IRS but shortened driveshafts (466 and 426 shafts in Lobro CVs) and the rear has a bit more spare, maybe 30mm each side so 1620 outside of tyre to outside of tyre. The rear arches are a bit wider but are above the bed side uprights so not an issue. My bed length is 3100. I roll the front wheels right up to the front cross beam so the nosecone overhangs the bed a little but the rear is well within the bed so no rear overhang. Hope this is useful.

Mike Wood - 2/2/22 at 05:32 PM

There are some small light single car trailers that weigh approx 300kg empty and can overall weigh 1300kg including payload that it might fit on if you are concerned about towing weight for your car; or do you have a small trailer in mind you want to see if it will squeak on?

Thanks
Mike

indykid - 2/2/22 at 07:54 PM

At least we all have full B+E without having to take a trailer test now, so that's one less headache

pewe - 3/2/22 at 01:01 PM

Mine has a 6' wide x 11' long bed which easily takes my Formula 27.
If your car weighs more than 750kg you need to have a braked trailer.
My twin axle one is for sale in RG1 but be aware it only has front axle (Mini) brakes which may or may not be a problem under current regulations.
However braking the rear axle shouldn't be a problem as they are old type Mini hubs.
Selling because it wont comfortably take my hairdressers.
Looking for £450 - buyer collects.

[Edited on 3/2/22 by pewe]

Sanzomat - 3/2/22 at 02:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
If your car weighs more than 750kg you need to have a braked trailer.
[Edited on 3/2/22 by pewe]

Just to clarify on that - the requirement for brakes on a trailer are if the combined weight of the trailer itself and whatever is on it exceed 750kg. So, if the trailer empty weighs 300kg the car on it can't be more than 450kg etc.

Partofthechaos - 3/2/22 at 02:42 PM

I got my Indy RX5 on a smaller car trailer, but it had 2 space saver wheels on one side and no bodywork. It wouldn't fit with normal wheels on both sides, and I am not sure if the rear arches could have caused an issue. If you make it fit the smaller trailers are much nicer to tow as they are narrower, but I suspect a fully built Indy would need to be on a normal trailer.

My local friendly trailer hire place let me go and look at the trailers first with some car measurements, I fond that really useful.

adampage - 3/2/22 at 05:33 PM

Hey Sanzomat - yeah 750kg total. So it's a bit borderline whether you'd get a kit car on most trailers.

There's one little company that makes a very light trailer specifically for people like us - www.allytrailer.co.uk - but I must admit i'd feel more confident with a braked trailer with my car on the back....

Quite expensive too! But I do like the idea and glad they've made a little business out of it.

Ad

Sanzomat - 4/2/22 at 08:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adampage
Hey Sanzomat - yeah 750kg total. So it's a bit borderline whether you'd get a kit car on most trailers.

There's one little company that makes a very light trailer specifically for people like us - www.allytrailer.co.uk - but I must admit i'd feel more confident with a braked trailer with my car on the back....

Quite expensive too! But I do like the idea and glad they've made a little business out of it.

Ad

Those ally trailers are great. The yellow Westy on their website belongs to a good mate of mine. I've towed it when his van broke down on the motorway and you barely notice its there, even with no brakes. When I first got my twin axle 1500kg max gross trailer the brakes didn't work (hadn't realised) and you could feel it pushing into the car with the GTM on it (probably over 1100kg gross) but after I fixed the brakes it is fine.

Jeano - 4/2/22 at 12:01 PM

Cheers everyone, just helps me to focus that it needs to be a full car trailer.

Mike Wood - 4/2/22 at 04:09 PM

Something like a secondhand Brian James Micro T maybe:
https://rmsmotoring.com/forum/threads/brian-james-micro-max-trailer.177973/

Or a secondhand single axle Brian James Clubman.

Or the similar Brian James Micro Max which was made later and had more of a flat top:
https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/123583-brian-james-micro-max-car-transporter-trailer/

Or something similar from Woodford Trailers or PRG Trailers.

If you fancy a 4 wheel version and with 10 inch wheels but otherwise similar the Brian James Minno may suit (although a bit old these days)

Some useful comments here: https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/78907-trailers-for-westfields/

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 4/2/22 by Mike Wood]

geedle - 15/2/22 at 07:21 PM

I have been pondering for a long time whether it would be possible to have a detachable third axle under the middle which would raise the front and rear axle off the ground and some kind of receiver on the front for a draw bar and hitch. Lighting would be simple. If it was less than 750kg, brakes would not be required (though I'd be inclined to choose my tow vehicle wisely).

It would need to go through the trailer IVA test, but cheaper than a trailer and no requirement to store said trailer.