Board logo

Adverts That Do Your Nut In...
scootz - 13/8/10 at 07:00 AM

I know 'they' say that any advert you take notice of is a good advert, but some really get on my wick!

May I start with...

1. Go Compare
2. We Buy Any Car
3. The BT 'Couple'
4. Compare The Market

jabs - 13/8/10 at 07:03 AM

Our granddaughter thinks the go compare is "Cock a mare", well thats what she sings lol

scootz - 13/8/10 at 07:04 AM

That would definitely be an improvement over the original!

nitram38 - 13/8/10 at 07:21 AM

The thing is your remembered them above all others which in an advertisers eyes is a complete sucess!
So if you really want them to change them SAY NOTHING!

Daddylonglegs - 13/8/10 at 07:22 AM

And then there are the ones that you can't stop singing for ages afterwards,.

I apologise in advance.....

Boom de Yada

oooh, almost forgot...

Boom de yada 2

enjoy

MakeEverything - 13/8/10 at 07:31 AM

I quite like the BT couple. Probably because i'd give her one too.

Shame BT's service doesnt give me the same warm feeling.

McLannahan - 13/8/10 at 07:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
I quite like the BT couple. Probably because i'd give her one too.

Shame BT's service doesnt give me the same warm feeling.

Ahh bless!

Who says romance is dead?

dan8400 - 13/8/10 at 07:33 AM

I hate anything that is obviously dubbed over from a foreign ad. Really winds me up!!

Dan

MakeEverything - 13/8/10 at 07:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs

Boom de Yada

oooh, almost forgot...

Boom de yada 2

enjoy

I really like those.

smart51 - 13/8/10 at 07:41 AM

I mute the adverts when they come on, especially on channel 5 where the ads are twice as loud as the programme. Only one button to press for mute but 6 to turn it down enough.

I make a deliberate point not to buy stuff that has an annoying ad. That'll teach 'em.

Churchill, now that's all together different. I reckon they should cold call everyone asking the question "Do you want to buy insurance from a Yorkshire nodding dog?" Who could resist answering "Ooooooh Yes!"

MakeEverything - 13/8/10 at 07:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51

I make a deliberate point not to buy stuff that has an annoying ad. That'll teach 'em.

Churchill, now that's all together different. I reckon they should cold call everyone asking the question "Do you want to buy insurance from a Yorkshire nodding dog?" Who could resist answering "Ooooooh Yes!"

In this case, i would make a point of not buying anything from annoying people....

r1_pete - 13/8/10 at 07:59 AM

Can't remember what its advertising but the series with Iggy Pop and the doll sidekick.....

MakeEverything - 13/8/10 at 08:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Can't remember what its advertising but the series with Iggy Pop and the doll sidekick.....

Insurance. Something about saving time. Thats crap too.

balidey - 13/8/10 at 08:21 AM

I know there is meant to be a link between marketing (ie adverts) and us buying the products.... But, does this link really exist?
Insurance, I have never been with any of the insurers that advertise on telly.
I bought a mars bar a few days ago. Was I influenced by a TV advert? No.
Tesco value bog roll, no puppy dog in sight.
My car did not get bought because of toys, painted Ice rinks, Griff Rys Jones etc.

Need I go on?

Unfortunatly the people in marketing have done a brilliant job and made their own jobs seem more important than they really are. But thats where their talent ends. Can they make a good advert that makes us buy a product or service? NO. But they have fooled their clients into believing that a catchy advert is a good advert that works. Its not and it doesn't. Yet I'm sure there is a 'university study' that proves the opposite.

[Edited on 13/8/10 by balidey]

omega0684 - 13/8/10 at 08:26 AM

how about the dubbed crappy advert for 'Just for Men' where that little fat girl picks out tie for her dad when he is preparing for an interview!

Miks15 - 13/8/10 at 08:33 AM

tend to agree with you on most,

But the compare the market advert is genius! SCHIMPLES

Humbug - 13/8/10 at 08:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dan8400
I hate anything that is obviously dubbed over from a foreign ad. Really winds me up!!

Dan

Agreed. For me it's particularly the ones which are obviously American, so the lipsynch'ing is OK, but they leave the American wording like "It's a 19.99 value, but you can buy it for 15.99"

bilbo - 13/8/10 at 08:53 AM

Ooo, don't get me started on this - A lot of adverts really wind me up

What I really hate are the ones that use clever wording (well, they must think it's clever) to try and make out something it's not, but at the same time not fall foul of the advertising watch dog.
For example, they often like to say something like “No other of our old products ever performed better than this one!” So, basically, what your saying is this the new product works the same as all your old ones? And what's all this “better than half price?” What ever happened to “less than half price”? Do they mean it's in fact more than half price?
And then there is all the % off stuff. Have you seen the one where they say “You can have 50% off, followed by an additional 20%”? You can just see them gleefully rubbing their hands thinking that they will fool some people into thinking they'll get 70% off
(In case you are wondering, it's 20% of the 50%, which is only an extra 10% of the original price, and seeming at the first 50% off is nonsense anyway as that's the price they always do, you're real saving is just 10%. And as they are always seeming to do this offer anyway, I could be cynical and say your actually getting 0% off)

Rant over, I'm off to sit in a darkened room

nitram38 - 13/8/10 at 09:10 AM

That fact you are all talking about them, means they work!

donny - 13/8/10 at 09:15 AM

All car adverts and all of the above.^^
I would buy anything advertised by scantily clad busty girls.

'Put your head in between them and go blubble blubble blubble' with American Express.

For anyone under thirty, search youtube for 'not the 9 o'clock news'.

Donny

bilbo - 13/8/10 at 09:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
That fact you are all talking about them, means they work!

Hmmm, not sure I agree. Marketing people like to think this, but I make a point of avoiding companies who's adverts anoy me.

liam.mccaffrey - 13/8/10 at 09:18 AM

the meerkat is genius, I only wish he didn't do the little "chick" after the "shimples". It would be a lot funnier without.

There is a series of American adverts for an insurance company called Geico. They run a couple of really funny gimics but the best one is a british Gecko voiced by Max Branning from eastender. Its really funny. It actually influenced my decision and I ended up going with them. That being said they had the best customer service I have ever experienced. We have a lot to learn from the yanks in that respect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acCfnwTpdxU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIxuP4UJNUM

Irony - 13/8/10 at 09:24 AM

I hate the BT couple with a passion. Apparently you can help decide there fate if you go to the website. I bet 'they both get murdered' is not a option.

GMPMotorsport - 13/8/10 at 09:26 AM

I hate the Halifax ads all of them, they come on and I reach for the mute button

blakep82 - 13/8/10 at 10:07 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

Insurance. Something about saving time. Thats crap too.

yes, iggy pop says he gets insurance with a company which refuse to insure singers, and self employed people. work that out...

Macbeast - 13/8/10 at 10:07 AM

Matzuma dot com

Stupid little smirking orange animated phone and owners obviously seriously into happy pills aaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhh !!!!!

scootz - 13/8/10 at 10:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs

Boom de Yada

oooh, almost forgot...

Boom de yada 2

enjoy

Now that I like!

David Jenkins - 13/8/10 at 11:13 AM

We always mute adverts (except when there's a new Meercat one!).

It's interesting when you do that, 'cos you notice things that you may not when you're distracted by the annoying vocals and 'music' - particularly the small print that appears at the bottom of the screen. It's educational when you compare the upbeat audio meassages and the downbeat sub-titles.

As for me - if an advert annoys me I make a point of NOT using that product/company.

Simon - 13/8/10 at 11:43 AM

Adverts relating to "women's problems"

Aaarrrgghhhh

ATB

Simon

blakep82 - 13/8/10 at 12:15 PM

anything with an interest rate of over 2500%...

Jomibo - 13/8/10 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GMPMotorsport
I hate the Halifax ads all of them, they come on and I reach for the mute button

At least they got rid of that annoying howard!!

kipper - 13/8/10 at 12:59 PM

I really hate the CO-OP ad where the guy says gud with fud in that scots accent,,,,,,,,,GRRRR
I would also like to watch the Coast programe but cant because of that Scots guys accent.
Maybe they will dub it into English one day.
Sorry to our Scots builders.
Regards Denis.

Jomibo - 13/8/10 at 01:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kipper
I really hate the CO-OP ad where the guy says gud with fud in that scots accent,,,,,,,,,GRRRR

Isnt that John Hannah (the actor) ??

bob - 13/8/10 at 01:43 PM

I think companies should all employ the people who make these adverts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZZreXEqSY&NR=1

bob - 13/8/10 at 01:45 PM

Sorry for the hijack but....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk5JNs7KO30&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3kKA5-CXC0&feature=related

[Edited on 13/8/10 by bob]

bob - 13/8/10 at 01:55 PM

Anyway the comparison shops/website adverts are my gripe, its the crap you get via email and phone calls once youve used them as well.

Alan B - 13/8/10 at 02:17 PM

quote:
I quite like the BT couple. Probably because i'd give her one too.......

So would I and I haven't even seen the ad..

fha772 - 13/8/10 at 02:46 PM

I hate the Audi ad, with the white Audi amongst the Hotrods, am i the only 1 that would rather have the Hotrods over the German Techno cr@p.
(even though my daily is an A6!!)

Irony - 13/8/10 at 02:52 PM

What about the Apple or other smartphone ads that show you something really cool and then a little message says 'sequence shortened'.

chris mason - 13/8/10 at 02:58 PM

Thanks Bob for those links, very amusing, so much so i ended watching loads more, this one made me laugh a little

Appologies to the females if they are offended by this one

Heineken advert

Simon - 13/8/10 at 04:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fha772
I hate the Audi ad, with the white Audi amongst the Hotrods, am i the only 1 that would rather have the Hotrods over the German Techno cr@p.
(even though my daily is an A6!!)

I agree, but more strongly - any german bits I have will be from scrapped cars

Have you also see how they make R8's(?) with a rubic cube with all the bits in, have they not heard of shelving. Jeez.

As I said elsewhere, even with all the technoshite, they still lost a war (against men who build stuff in sheds, and design stuff on fag packets!)

ATB

Simon

Ninehigh - 13/8/10 at 08:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
What about the Apple or other smartphone ads that show you something really cool and then a little message says 'sequence shortened'.

Adverts that advertise anything with the small print saying it's BS, like mascara that lengthens your lashes, but only if you have false lashes. Or hair stuff but the model has extensions...

They should be banned from advertising BS, or go the whole thing:
"This water makes you lose all body fat (along with liposuction and a 500 mile run)"

Jomibo - 14/8/10 at 12:58 PM

How about any advert which is for aftershave/perfume?? hmm.. yeah interesting ad, but what does it chuffing smell like???

dinosaurjuice - 14/8/10 at 01:52 PM

I SAID YOU BUY ONE, YOU GET ONE FREE.

YOUTUBE LINKY

That guy needs to be shot

Jomibo - 14/8/10 at 04:17 PM

I want to know who told Barry Scott (off the cillit bang ad) to stop shouting? Didnt realise he could talk at a sensible level!

Peteff - 14/8/10 at 06:22 PM

Bud light or Hahn adverts are great, like beer needs humour to sell it. I hated the shouty mad fake Geordie bulling up big brother which I hated even more and now they think everyone should listen because it's a Geordie telling you how good it is.

scootz - 14/8/10 at 06:45 PM

Can I add the Crabbies adverts!?

mangogrooveworkshop - 15/8/10 at 09:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kipper
I would also like to watch the Coast programe but cant because of that Scots guys accent.
Maybe they will dub it into English one day.
Sorry to our Scots builders.
Regards Denis.

HELLO... WELCOME TO ALBA ...
WE SPEAK ENGLISH! Well sort of

[Edited on 15-8-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

richard thomas - 15/8/10 at 05:02 PM

The airfreshener advert that shows a kid having a crap then holding his nose...normally shown at tea time when I'm sat in front of the tv with my plate on my lap...

Or any of those that are for 'women's sanitary things' shown before the watershed...

bigpig - 17/8/10 at 08:13 PM

Pretty much can stand any of the "another bloody episode" adverts, tired band wagon following "lets use some vapid vainly whimsical singer" type song averts (a good portion seem to be like that at the moment).

The worst yet is the Megan experiment cack. I haven't even seen a full advert and I just thought contrived marketing gimmic for a hideous car.

Still they are just vapid and half hearted. At least they aren't for some firm that preys on the desperate & needy.

Jomibo - 23/8/10 at 07:21 AM

The Bing search engine ads do my nut in

Ninehigh - 23/8/10 at 11:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jomibo
The Bing search engine ads do my nut in

That's because it's a decision engine. No idea why anyone needs an engine to make our decisions...

Can I add to the list adverts that appear to send a message they might not have thought about.. Think of any aftershave advert:
"Aftershave, for men who run around naked chasing cars"

Or:
"Crunchy Nut, for complete lunatics"

probablyleon - 9/9/10 at 02:31 PM

Slightly disappointed that no-one's mentioned the irritating Anchor Butted ads (fuzzy felt cows). They even irritated me and I wrote the music