Board logo

Voting yes/no to AV?
morcus - 3/4/11 at 01:23 PM

Just curious given the posts in the other thread about the referendum.

David Jenkins - 3/4/11 at 02:15 PM

We'll be voting 'no' - the system they're pushing is just too complicated for the average bloke and his missus. The risk of dodgy candidates getting a seat are just too high for me.

I do believe in proportional representation - but not this way.

nitram38 - 3/4/11 at 02:23 PM

Oh dear looks like more tinkering!
No one voted for these buggers but somehow they got in!

What really needs to happen is to get people to vote in the first place!
People have just given up cos its SOS.........Same Old Sh*t !!!!!!!!

So if it does change and I don't agree with the new system I won't vote at all so yet another stupid division.

morcus - 3/4/11 at 02:53 PM

I don't agree with AV and plan on voting no but I don't think it's as complicated as alot of people think (Though I know in mnay ways I'm weird and think this about alot of other things) but all the info on it seems to make it seem much more complicated than it is. That said it seems to put people off so maybe it's intentional and if so I shouldn't mention it because I don't agree with AV.

Would it make a difference if the vote also gave the option of PR? Personally it wouldn't because I think PR is a stupid idea but alot of minor partys seem to be saying they're voting no because they want PR and not AV.

jimmyjoebob - 3/4/11 at 03:05 PM

Generally people keep blatting on about the theoretical advantage of AV.

It is only in use in three countries around the world currently, of which two (Ireland and Australia) are in the process of trying to get rid of it. The only remaining advocate of it (the ruling party in Papua New Guinea) clings to power because of AV's inability to allow decisive selection/deselection of a ruling party. Canada (or at least parts of it) formerly moved to AV as it seemed fairer but returned to first past the post.

Learn from the mistakes of others.

Guinness - 3/4/11 at 03:15 PM

I'm refusing to vote, as this poll isn't fair

I vote for Chris re-writing the whole site to allow for a fairer voting system for polls. That'll cure it.

Honestly, if politicians are doing anything to change the system, they'll be doing it for their advantage and not ours.

mookaloid - 3/4/11 at 03:18 PM

It seems to me that first past the post usually gives a clear majority result.

AV/PR will usually give coalitions.

Which is best? mmmmmmmmmmm As I get older I wonder ...............

morcus - 3/4/11 at 03:37 PM

It's odd that yes is currently winning yet done of the posts seem to suggest a deffinite yes but there are quite a few unambiguous no's?

coozer - 3/4/11 at 03:48 PM

Yes from me, hoping it will help UKIP.

NeilP - 3/4/11 at 04:52 PM

Yes it's complicated, yes it will risk more coalitions and yes SoS.

But it will stop the nonsense of tactical voting if people use their vote and vote on the basis of a party's policies rather than whether they 'like' the person who's their candidate and the vague local promises they make (we are run from a central government despite bold claims of localism and big society).

So a yes from me and maybe we'll see...