Board logo

Why?
designer - 13/12/11 at 01:18 PM

Why do people ask on here before they do the most basic search on the web?

Madinventions - 13/12/11 at 01:26 PM

Link

emsfactory - 13/12/11 at 01:27 PM

did you use the search function too see if there was allready an answer?

dinosaurjuice - 13/12/11 at 01:30 PM

in all fairness, theres vast amounts of rubbish floating around on the net, and this place is generally a trustworthy source.

steve m - 13/12/11 at 01:32 PM

"in all fairness, theres vast amounts of rubbish floating around on the net, and this place is generally a trustworthy source. "

some threads on here are the other way round, hahaha

Xtreme Kermit - 13/12/11 at 01:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
in all fairness, theres vast amounts of rubbish floating around on the net, and this place is generally a trustworthy source.

+1

r1_pete - 13/12/11 at 01:57 PM

Isn't that what a forum is for, ask questions, get opinions, generate discussion??

BigLee - 13/12/11 at 01:58 PM

Because it is a forum. That's what people do on forums. The Internet is full of wisdom, but hopefully by asking the friendly folk on here, that wisdom will come from like minded people.

jossey - 13/12/11 at 02:16 PM

have you searched using the search option on here......

jabbahutt - 13/12/11 at 03:11 PM

I'll admit to possibly falling foul of this but as stated I trust the answers I get here where it's much more of a gamble taking information as truth off an unknown website. Plus here not only will you get the answer to the question but other info relating to it such as best place to buy or price etc

scootz - 13/12/11 at 03:33 PM

I would far rather ask the question and have the discussion in 'real time' than rely on an old piece of information from some source that I know zip about!

God knows how many times I've read conflicting opinions (facts allegedly!) on the internet... and then it transpires that they were all wrong!

coyoteboy - 13/12/11 at 03:44 PM

The search on here is as diabolical as any other I've met, making searching a royal PITA. Included with that problem are the facts that it seems signatures are searchable and so related words are inserted into random unrelated threads which is a mess. Google searches are no better, these days filled with reciprocating spam sites that just stick your search word into their text and flash up adverts. Waste of time, better to speak to someone in person.

Lurch88 - 13/12/11 at 03:53 PM

What He said

theduck - 13/12/11 at 04:31 PM

I tend to search here for 5 minutes before posting a new thread and mine are probably questions mot people think are pretty basic!

whitestu - 13/12/11 at 04:34 PM

You can't stop people asking. There is nothing to make you answer if you don't want to.

Stu

mrwibble - 13/12/11 at 04:37 PM

if you had performed a search on here you would find the answer has already been discussed...

jollygreengiant - 13/12/11 at 05:22 PM

FORTY TWO

bi22le - 13/12/11 at 06:03 PM

I like the idea of clearing up all the basic stuff for a site like this. What some people find basic others may not be able to work out.

This site is unique in its topic and some of the subjects just would of not been discussed elsewhere with reference to our lightweight english only cars. Its not like this is another superbike forum or dedicated track day forum.

Plus once the silly question has been asked its archived. Next time it gets asked we can beat the newbie around the head with the search button!!!

thunderace - 13/12/11 at 06:24 PM

why do you give a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

theduck - 13/12/11 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I like the idea of clearing up all the basic stuff for a site like this. What some people find basic others may not be able to figure out

Plus once the silly question has been asked its archived. Next time it gets asked we can beat the newbie around the head with the search button!!!

I like this answer

Another thing is sometimes your issue isnt a text book example, or at least it doesn't seem to fit the 101 other threads and google results you found. So you ask for sake of clarity.

Stott - 13/12/11 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I would far rather ask the question and have the discussion in 'real time' than rely on an old piece of information from some source that I know zip about!

God knows how many times I've read conflicting opinions (facts allegedly!) on the internet... and then it transpires that they were all wrong!

"The trouble is with quotes and facts on internet forums is that they can never truly be relied upon" - Albert Einstein

adithorp - 13/12/11 at 07:32 PM

...and why do people put title s on their threads that give no clue to the content. A good title makes searching a lot easier.

Ninehigh - 13/12/11 at 07:56 PM

I've found searching to be pants... The more specific a thing I ask for the less relevant the results...

Also I've searched for something highly specific (on here) that I said and got nothing

You think it's bad here you should sit in an online game chatroom, you get the newbie questions time after time, and the arguments over it

RK - 13/12/11 at 08:10 PM

If you click "Match Exactly" prior to searching, you will likely find what you want. The other buttons, not so much.

scootz - 13/12/11 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
If you click "Match Exactly" prior to searching, you will likely find what you want. The other buttons, not so much.

That's what I've found!

Hammy360 - 13/12/11 at 09:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Xtreme Kermit
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice

+++ 1

+1

Hammy360 - 13/12/11 at 10:01 PM

just did a 'real basic search' of the word forum on the internet, this is what I found;

fo·rum (fôrm, fr-)
n. pl. fo·rums also fo·ra (fôr, fr)
a. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
b. A public meeting place for open discussion.
c. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

PSpirine - 13/12/11 at 10:03 PM

Can I offer a bit of advice as to how to search this forum quite effectively (given how awful the search function is)

Simply go to google and type (in this case searching for "wishbones":

site:locostbuilders.co.uk wishbones

It will search the whole site but with google's algorhythm with relevant searching and prioritising.

Might be worth stickying, as lots of people try to search using the forum facility and it rarely returns what you're looking for.

(Incidentally I'm all for posting again, even if stuff exists in the archives from a year before. The one great thing about a forum is that you can get UP-TO-DATE responses and information)

Hammy360 - 13/12/11 at 10:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Can I offer a bit of advice as to how to search this forum quite effectively (given how awful the search function is)

It will search the whole site but with google's algorhythm with relevant searching and prioritising.

Might be worth stickying, as lots of people try to search using the forum facility and it rarely returns what you're looking for.

(Incidentally I'm all for posting again, even if stuff exists in the archives from a year before. The one great thing about a forum is that you can get UP-TO-DATE responses and information)

+1

RK - 13/12/11 at 11:40 PM

Once again, Mr. Scootz and I agree. Life can be so difficult sometimes, but we endure.

mcerd1 - 14/12/11 at 08:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site:locostbuilders.co.uk wishbones