Board logo

Now I want it to rust - a bit!
v8kid - 2/6/12 at 02:07 PM

Took her indoors to Chelsea flower show and the trendy garden shed is all rusty and she wants one! Thing is I spent my life stopping rust and I 'aint a clue how to get a rusty appearance without it rusting through.

In particular she wants a shed with a rusty roof and glass walls just like the one she saw. Glass walls are no problem now I worked out the shed is a cantilever construction but the roof looks looks 2mm thick mild steel in 800mm wide panels with the upturned edges welded together. I don't think it would last more than 2 winters so how do I arrest the rust without changing the appearance?

I showed her a bit with Waxoil but it makes it too shiny - any suggestions?

Cheers

zilspeed - 2/6/12 at 02:28 PM

To use the vernacular.

Hell mend ye !!

Rusty shed indeed.

Mr C - 2/6/12 at 02:40 PM

The rat look in the garden, my neighbours is like that, a total sh!thole in other words.

violentblue - 2/6/12 at 03:08 PM

check out some of the rat rod forums, there are some decent how to articles on creating fake patina. layering the right colors of red and brown paint can make a very convincing rust look, that will never rust.

Peteff - 2/6/12 at 03:25 PM

Have a look on instructables for etching solutions, there will be recipes on there. Brick acid and descaler like Fernox might work as well.

[Edited on 2/6/12 by Peteff]

v8kid - 2/6/12 at 03:43 PM

Thanks guys but its the stopping bit I have trouble with. The rat rod connection was good but they spray it with clear sealer - don't believe that would work here it would just bubble through - alternative rat rodderrs use wd40 but that implies weekly coatings - can't be bothered with that

spiderman - 2/6/12 at 03:45 PM

Matt finish lacquer.

Plenty of sites like this to give you some ideas.

http://rat-look.com/rat-look-guides/how-to-get-that-rust-effect/

MakeEverything - 2/6/12 at 03:47 PM

lay some sacrificial thinner steel on top of the treated roof.

Chippy - 2/6/12 at 03:47 PM

Good god just man up and tell her its not going to happen, Cheers Ray

wylliezx9r - 2/6/12 at 03:55 PM

Might look good at a flower show but ask yourself the question : "do I really want a rusty fecking shed in my garden ? " I certainly wouldn't.

Mr C - 2/6/12 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Good god just man up and tell her its not going to happen, Cheers Ray

lol

v8kid - 2/6/12 at 05:11 PM

You tell her!!!!

maccmike - 2/6/12 at 05:22 PM

I wanted a garden ornament to look weathered, painted it in yoghurt, couple months later it looked great

v8kid - 2/6/12 at 05:50 PM

Now thats a great idea! I think I could sell that to her indoors. If you don't here from me in the next few hours you'll know how it was received...........

matt_gsxr - 2/6/12 at 06:20 PM

Why not go with copper instead. You will get the red effect straight away and hopefully you can get it to go nice and green.

Also shouldn't corrode through.

Copper oxide, its the new rust.

JoelP - 2/6/12 at 07:25 PM

Copper wouldnt last long enough - someone would nick it!

There is a huge rusty building in leeds, think its real, god knows what colour the pavements at the bottom must be now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-11606949

sky12042 - 2/6/12 at 08:13 PM

There is a type of steel that is designed to rust and be like that, it's used in art works and the like, it's called Corten, not sure where you get it from though.

MikeR - 2/6/12 at 08:32 PM

.6mm steel fake roof, replace every couple of years without the cost of worry of a proper roof sounds like a good plan to me.

theduck - 2/6/12 at 09:04 PM

http://www.cortenroofing.com/

Ninehigh - 3/6/12 at 07:43 AM

Could always explain that the shed's been designed to last this weekend and probably not much more... So if she really wants one it won't be there for years

Andybarbet - 3/6/12 at 10:36 PM

This could be the perfect answer to your question ??

RUSTY PAINT! VW CAMPERVAN T2 BAY SPLIT BEETLE RATLOOK HOODRIDE RUSTING PAINT!! | eBay

Nickp - 4/6/12 at 06:25 AM

Would your mower fit in a Lancia Beta?

snapper - 4/6/12 at 06:47 AM

I painted the roof with hammerite 20 years ago
Now it looks like this
Not one hole but rusty

v8kid - 4/6/12 at 07:09 AM

Cool shed! Thanks for all the info the Corten looks promising and I'll chase up on cost. Rusty paint looks ecpencive I wonder if I could use epoxy paint with iron filings mixed in? I've used a similar method to coat a boat hull with copper for anti fouling.

Cheers!

jacko - 4/6/12 at 07:00 PM

How about some rusty modern art like this
ps it looks cr*p in real life
http://hullvalley.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/rust-park.html

[Edited on 4/6/12 by jacko]

Stott - 4/6/12 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Thanks guys but its the stopping bit I have trouble with. The rat rod connection was good but they spray it with clear sealer - don't believe that would work here it would just bubble through - alternative rat rodderrs use wd40 but that implies weekly coatings - can't be bothered with that

What do you mean YOU can't be bothered with that, make the shed then hand HER the WD40, it's her shed!

v8kid - 5/6/12 at 06:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
How about some rusty modern art like this
ps it looks cr*p in real life
http://hullvalley.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/rust-park.html

[Edited on 4/6/12 by jacko]

Photo looks crap too

v8kid - 5/6/12 at 06:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stott
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid

What do you mean YOU can't be bothered with that, make the shed then hand HER the WD40, it's her shed!

I have never tried to extract a deeply embedded can of wd40 from where the sun never shines on me and do not really want to learn how to!

Nice suggestion though.

Have decided to recycle an old shed for the floor, back wall, front wall and floor
Corten roof and toughened glass walls. If it takes as long as the car will be ready in time for the next jubilee celebration