Board logo

Stash in the attic
woodster - 30/12/13 at 10:44 PM

Just been reading about Den Tanner from Pilgrim cars, that's a head shocker , I spoke to him once on the phone seemed a top bloke with some good advice

[Edited on 30/12/13 by woodster]

clairetoo - 30/12/13 at 11:02 PM

?

Benzine - 30/12/13 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
?

link

[Edited on 30-12-2013 by Benzine]

blakep82 - 30/12/13 at 11:16 PM

Aw right, the title makes sense now

woodster - 30/12/13 at 11:19 PM

Thanks for the link I couldn't find it again, it seems he'd made one or two enemies

http://kitcarmagazines.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/dentanner-crook.html

This guy seems pretty happy he came to a bad end ...........

Agriv8 - 31/12/13 at 12:01 AM

Oh so it's not for charging a 10ner to camp at stoneleigh !

Strange what goes on behind closed doors, but if I was growing that amount of weed (I aren't ) you maybe don't want to rub 'LOTS' of people up the wrong way.

Still a big shock though.

agriv8

ReMan - 31/12/13 at 08:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by woodster
Thanks for the link I couldn't find it again, it seems he'd made one or two enemies

More than one or two I think!
But the Filby Tanner nonsense was going publicly in their respective (fairly crap in hindsight) magazines on as I got into the scene and it was nonsense enough to put fairer mortals off ever building a kit

MikeRJ - 31/12/13 at 11:06 AM

quote:

Have you read any other entries in that blog? The guy comes across as a total loony, angry at everyone and everything.

woodster - 31/12/13 at 11:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Have you read any other entries in that blog? The guy comes across as a total loony, angry at everyone and everything.

He seems to have a problem with ...

The Police
Asians
Women
Judges
Americans
The poor
Den Tanner
His mates
Social services

Hopefully some ones got him anger management classes for Christmas

ste - 31/12/13 at 12:40 PM

quote:

I find it a little hypocritical that he complains so much about someone copying something he has copied.

myke pocock - 31/12/13 at 02:45 PM

Wrote to Tanner once asking if he could keep his problems with other people out of his magazine as it was taking up valuable space and I bought the mag for kit cars not that kind of thing. All I got back was a load of abuse so I wont be crying into my beer for one.

rusty nuts - 31/12/13 at 03:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
Wrote to Tanner once asking if he could keep his problems with other people out of his magazine as it was taking up valuable space and I bought the mag for kit cars not that kind of thing. All I got back was a load of abuse so I wont be crying into my beer for one.

I once complained to him about recycled adverts for cars in his magazine after ringing to enquire about one only to be told the car had been sold something like 18months previously, He offered a free mag with no apology . He was told to stick it and I have never brought another since

franky - 2/1/14 at 08:26 AM

Its amazing the people who are trying to support him. He's a drug dealer with no respect or thought for his family. I also feel for owners of pilgrim cars.

jeffw - 2/1/14 at 09:00 AM

I find that odd as well....you don't get 4 years inside for growing a little personal weed.

JoelP - 2/1/14 at 09:03 AM

Let's keep it perspective though, its only weed. Hardly crime of the century. In fact they've just legalised it in colorado.

jeffw - 2/1/14 at 09:11 AM

Large scale production of an illegal substance.....for financial gain. Yes, lets keep it in perspective. 4years and 3 months seems about right.

franky - 2/1/14 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Let's keep it perspective though, its only weed. Hardly crime of the century. In fact they've just legalised it in colorado.

I'd call 1/2 a million £'s worth perspective. So yes very serious, IMO he got off lightly unlike his 'loved' ones.

StevieB - 2/1/14 at 10:22 AM

quote:

Should've grown it in Colorado then

It's all a bit of a sorry episode really, and casts a bit of a dark shadow on the kit car industry for me.

franky - 2/1/14 at 10:45 AM

It would have still been illegal

jeffw - 2/1/14 at 11:33 AM

Also....how long has he been doing it? Unlikely to be his first go at growing/distribution.

woodster - 2/1/14 at 01:02 PM

i should imagine it takes some setting up and quite a bit of cash growing that amount of weed, it doesn't say if he had any help or who he was growing it for but he must know some very dodgy people , something the other guy should but be mindful about when hes slagging him off

jeffw - 2/1/14 at 01:45 PM

quote:
i should imagine it takes some setting up and quite a bit of cash growing that amount of weed, it doesn't say if he had any help or who he was growing it for but he must know some very dodgy people , something the other guy should but be mindful about when hes slagging him off

Surely he classifies as a dodgy person....sent down for illegal drug production must count as being dodgy.

woodster - 2/1/14 at 02:11 PM

good point he does count as dodgy , i was just trying to say most normal people wouldn't know where to start with growing and distributing weed or who's toes they could be standing on, you need to know the right people for production, protection and distribution .... unless he just watched Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels and thought he could work as an independant trader

jeffw - 2/1/14 at 02:43 PM

And this will not be a new venture....you don't get into large scale production with no knowledge or experience.

woodster - 2/1/14 at 03:36 PM

very true i can't see it being his first time and somebody in the scene has helped him, if he'd of done it around here without the right business partners the old bill would have been the least of his problems.

JoelP - 2/1/14 at 04:18 PM

It can be assumed he smokes weed, and thus knows a dealer. Homegrown is in demand these days because you can get a better quality than mass produced vacuum packed imported weed. He could easily start growing it and selling it at a trade price to his usual supplier. There is plenty of information on the net about how to grow a decent crop, your first attempt would be passable and your second better.

If you are growing it, you aren't going to grow just one plant. You'd have at least 10 incase you messed up. So when you get nicked, and they chop down whole plants and weigh it wet, you have a large weight of material, which they then price at maximum street value as if it was all bud. Thus you end up with figures like half a million quid, when in fact there might only have been 9oz to be had.

Smoking weed is a mugs game as you waste your life, but it doesn't make you a bad person. I've seen sexual offenses result in less jail time than that, so yes, let's keep it in perspective.

jeffw - 2/1/14 at 05:12 PM

Your perspective is different from mine....

franky - 2/1/14 at 05:14 PM

Smoking it doesn't make you a bad person, producing it knowing it'll go to kids/teenagers etc etc does. I wonder if he's going to fit 22" wheels to his cars now like all drug dealers do

nick205 - 2/1/14 at 05:22 PM

quote:
It can be assumed he smokes weed, and thus knows a dealer. Homegrown is in demand these days because you can get a better quality than mass produced vacuum packed imported weed. He could easily start growing it and selling it at a trade price to his usual supplier. There is plenty of information on the net about how to grow a decent crop, your first attempt would be passable and your second better.

If you are growing it, you aren't going to grow just one plant. You'd have at least 10 incase you messed up. So when you get nicked, and they chop down whole plants and weigh it wet, you have a large weight of material, which they then price at maximum street value as if it was all bud. Thus you end up with figures like half a million quid, when in fact there might only have been 9oz to be had.

Smoking weed is a mugs game as you waste your life, but it doesn't make you a bad person. I've seen sexual offenses result in less jail time than that, so yes, let's keep it in perspective.

Some truth here IMHO, although I suspect he'd moved on from "a few" plants over time.

jeffw - 2/1/14 at 05:27 PM

You don't get 4 years in HMP for a 'few' plants. This was not for personal consumption, this was to make money selling illegal drugs. Man is a convicted drug dealer....you can dress it up like you want but that is what the courts decided and what he pleaded guilty too. Presumable that was done to reduce the sentence !

[Edited on 2/1/14 by jeffw]

yellowcab - 2/1/14 at 05:41 PM

May I be totally ignorant and ask who this fella is?

I feel mildly left out with being the only one without an opinion, and not knowing who he is?

Dopdog - 2/1/14 at 05:50 PM

Filby must be wetting himself laughing

fesycresy - 2/1/14 at 06:13 PM

He used to own Pilgrim Cars and was a kit car magazine owner.

He and Peter Filby (another magazine owner) kept on slagging each other off through their mags.

I remember laughing at him at the Exeter show when he asked would I subscribe, told him I only needed one copy.

quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
May I be totally ignorant and ask who this fella is?

I feel mildly left out with being the only one without an opinion, and not knowing who he is?

myke pocock - 2/1/14 at 10:57 PM

Hes a gob on legs who has been done for growing substantial quantities of weed. Nuf said.

Agriv8 - 2/1/14 at 11:13 PM

1/2 a million quid worth is not a personal amount in my view it's production line amounts

agriv8

snakebelly - 3/1/14 at 08:09 AM

Of course the other option could be that it wasnt him actually growing it but he was renting the space to a growing organisation, once nicked hie may have thought it a healthier option to take the wrap rather than dob in the guys he was renting the space to, either way hes a pillock. Personally dont have a problem with a few plants for home consumption but this was, by all accounts, a professional setup. As already saif i bet Filby has had the best Christmas in years!

twybrow - 4/1/14 at 07:46 PM

"It was the best Christmas present I could have asked for!" - This was Peter Filby's reaction (I am very close friends with his daughter and son-in law).

I don't know Tanner, but from what I have heard, he is a nasty piece of work.

Peteff - 5/1/14 at 10:45 AM

I thought Den Tanner was a detective in Vegas, that's what comes of watching too much telly. There was a case in Derby where the illegal immigrant tending the crop was jailed for one year and the electricity they are using is usually stolen, it's not a victimless crime. Next street a bloke was growing some in his loft a couple of years ago and the neighbour shopped him. The police beat the door in and took five plants away but he was not prosecuted. The landlord of the house ended up with a £4000 bill for repairs when he moved out as the place was full of soil and damp.