Board logo

What Is It With Cooker Hood Bulbs!!!!
Surrey Dave - 5/3/14 at 07:15 PM

They seem to blow about once a month and take the 3 amp fuse with them.

I blame Poundland!!!

I've been told that if you fit the bulbs that have a halogen built inside they are not affected by the heat so much?

True /False ....Any offers!

[Edited on 5/3/14 by Surrey Dave]

Smoking Frog - 5/3/14 at 07:22 PM

I don't know about the halogen ones but I've changed mine twice in the past month, must be poor quality batch.

T66 - 5/3/14 at 07:24 PM

New kitchen recently , new oven ......

oven bulb lasted 3 days

steve m - 5/3/14 at 07:34 PM

mine is still fine after 10 years,

so not sure what you lot are doing wrong

whitestu - 5/3/14 at 07:35 PM

I changed mine for low energy ones in our old hood and they were still working when we binned it.

gremlin1234 - 5/3/14 at 07:36 PM

quote:
I've been told that if you fit the bulbs that have a halogen built inside they are not affected by the heat so much?
True /False ....Any offers!

False, cooker hoods don't run hot,
they may have some vibration from a fan which would shorten the life of any bulb,
but bulb quality is the primary suspect here.

ReMan - 5/3/14 at 07:52 PM

Same problem, fit a low energy, sorted

Surrey Dave - 5/3/14 at 08:03 PM

I was talking about the heat from cooking not the cooker hood itself.

Perhaps the halogen looking ones are sturdier in construction?

Anyway I'll give the low energy bulbs a go , but they probably won't reach full brightness until I've finished cooking

Cheers Chaps

mcerd1 - 5/3/14 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
I was talking about the heat from cooking not the cooker hood itself.

its still not that hot - if it was you would be getting cooked while you stirred your dinner

McLannahan - 5/3/14 at 08:55 PM

I fitted GU10 LED versions in our old hood. Lasted at least two years and were still working when we moved out! Just cheap ones of eBay, nothing fancy!

jossey - 5/3/14 at 08:55 PM

Get an led bulb I put a strip led light in mine after similar issues

Surrey Dave - 5/3/14 at 09:10 PM

This really is a topic involving modern men, cooker hood bulbs!!!

I'll be starting a poll next to see what the favourite oil is for stir fry!!!

I use Morrison's stir fry oil + a bit of toasted sesame seed oil & soy sauce.................................

loggyboy - 5/3/14 at 09:21 PM

I went for some cheap led ones ftom ebay, but the standard transformer didnt like them. I could replace the transformer, but I just put 1 standard bulb and 1 led in, which added enough load to make the leds work.

steve m - 5/3/14 at 09:36 PM

Modern Man

This really is a topic involving modern men, cooker hood bulbs!!!

I'll be starting a poll next to see what the favourite oil is for stir fry!!!

I use Morrison's stir fry oil + a bit of toasted sesame seed oil & soy sauce.................................

I will ask the WIFE

hang on...........

Scuzzle - 5/3/14 at 09:43 PM

Are you remembering to wipe your fingerprints off the bulb after you have fitted them, the oil left by your fingertips blows halogen bulbs prematurely so I usually grab a bit of kitchen roll and grasp the bulb through this when fitting.

Poundland bulbs are OK, I have 4x GU10 bulbs in my bathroom ceiling that have lasted years and was £1 for a pair when Homebase was nearer £6 a pair.

coyoteboy - 5/3/14 at 11:03 PM

No point wiping them, it still leaves the residue, you need to put them in using gloved or cloth covered fingers. That said, wouldn't expect a cooler hood to use bulbs that high tech temp as its sat in the greasiest place in the kitchen. I'd suggest a dodgy set of cheap bulbs, followed by dodgy connectors/connection, followed by excessive vibration from the fan. I've replaced one of the 2 bulbs in 5 years at our house and we have shocking voltage control locally (voltage varies from 210-255v several times daily.

Peteff - 6/3/14 at 04:10 PM

You need to wipe halogen bulbs with some meths to clean them. Our cooker hood bulb went 10 years ago and you soon get used to not having one.