Board logo

How to kill a tree
splitrivet - 25/3/14 at 07:41 PM

Theres an empty property round the back of 2 of mine with a small courtyard in this courtyard are 3 trees which have begun to damage my roof are damaging a neighbours and have damaged the empty property's.
The guy who ones the property, an old fella by all accounts rarely shows up. When, the neighbour collared him on one occasion about the trees he said the tree's were there before the neighbour moved in so tough luck basically.
Contacted the council who wont give me his address (data protection bullshite) posted several notes telling him about the trees all to no avail.
So it looks like I'll have to do summat sneaky, any tree murderers on here if so how do you go about it.
Cheers,
Bob

maccmike - 25/3/14 at 07:45 PM

I have a chainsaw

BenB - 25/3/14 at 07:47 PM

I killed a tree when I was young (it was in our garden) by drilling a big old hole in the trunk, sticking a tube into it and in the other end attaching a bottle full of bleach and copper sulfate mixed. Did the job. Not sure what did it mind you, could have been the bleach, could have been the copper sulfate. All I know is it worked. Presumably got into the xylem and mucked that fella up good and proper But it was not a "perfect crime" lots of evidence, would be simpler to get a chainsaw and chop it down...

steve m - 25/3/14 at 07:49 PM

I am not sure of the actual rules, but when next doors tree flops over it branches into my garden I have chainsawd them off

Steve

cliftyhanger - 25/3/14 at 07:49 PM

Firstly you can cut anything that grows over your boundary. Obviously to the boundary and no more.

Now, as to killing stuff, I noticed that a patch of grass where I spilt some solvent based shed treatment (like cuprinol 5 star) still hasn't grown after 18 months. I have it on good authority that celly thinners is pretty good at killing stuff. Drill a deep hole, fill it up, and keep refilling it. I would drill the main trunk at a 45 degree angle, deep enoughbto reach the centre of the trunk. Well, theoretically of course as it would be naughty to kill a tree.

Agriv8 - 25/3/14 at 08:02 PM

Most trees are copper intolerant especially spruce. A line of copper carpet tacks. Main problem is if you kill it could the dead tree fall on you property ?

I also belive you can trim any tree branches in you boundary PROVIDING there is no tree preservation orders

ATB agriv8

Kev99 - 25/3/14 at 08:22 PM

quote:

cliftyhanger

Firstly you can cut anything that grows over your boundary. Obviously to the boundary and no more.

but i also believe u have to give the bits u cut off back to the owner other wise its classed as steeling there property

Kev

mark chandler - 25/3/14 at 08:53 PM

Unless it's got a TPO on it cut anything that overhangs your garden and throw it over the fence, otherwise it's classed as theft.

To kill I'd bore a 45 degree hole into the trunk and fill it with diesel

40inches - 25/3/14 at 08:53 PM

You can also cut the roots up to the boundary, just be careful nothing falls into the hole you dig. Like copper pipe.

perksy - 25/3/14 at 09:04 PM

As above, any branches overhanging your property you can cut them off but must give them to the neighbour.

I don't really like to see trees killed but either copper nails or i've heard central heating oil works well ?

strikerbird - 25/3/14 at 09:20 PM

I've heard diesel will do the job, I'm guessing 'round up' pored into a drilled hole wouldn't do it much good either.

theprisioner - 25/3/14 at 09:27 PM

Copper roof nail and a centre punch. Once they are countersunk you will never see them till you cut it down.

britishtrident - 25/3/14 at 09:36 PM

All you have to do is ring the bark. , ie. Cut a continuous band of bark right around the tree close to the ground.
It takes about 3 years to kill tree basically it cuts off the flow of sap in the outer layer and the rot gradually spreads inwards.
Initially they tree might look as if it is thriving and throw out new shoots and flower but this is a sign the tree is in distress.

Cutting through the roots unless you do truly massive damage to all the roots won't kill a tree it will only make the tree push out more roots more green growth and shoots. Brutal root pruning is a technique used to stimulate dormant fruit trees.

Copper it takes a fair amount of copper to kill a decent sized tree an odd nail or two isn't enouggh.

Drilling a hole and injecting battery acid or similar works.

[Edited on 25/3/14 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 25/3/14 by britishtrident]

madteg - 25/3/14 at 09:42 PM

I had the same problem, i knocked 12x4" copper nails in 5 trees. they are still there after 58 years so poison would be better.
I would drill some holes ta 45 deg, fill with ? and then knock a dowel on top.

Slimy38 - 25/3/14 at 10:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Main problem is if you kill it could the dead tree fall on you property ?

I think this would be my worry, especially if it takes a while to die but we get a bout of strong winds like recently. Trim them to the boundary?

rdodger - 25/3/14 at 10:19 PM

As has already been posted

You can chop off anything over the boundary. I seem to be doing this every other year!

If the tree has fruit on it then that must be returned to the owner.

I would be a bit careful about trying to kill it. These days you could easily end up in court.

MP3C - 25/3/14 at 10:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Unless it's got a TPO on it cut anything that overhangs your garden and throw it over the fence, otherwise it's classed as theft.

To kill I'd bore a 45 degree hole into the trunk and fill it with diesel

This works very well, have got rid of a few trees using this method.

Matt

ashg - 25/3/14 at 11:21 PM

i have the same problem with neighbours trees overhanging my workshop roof. i chain saw them off then throw all the chopped off bits back over the fence, its his tree he can get rid of it.

and as for copper nails, thats a bad idea. if a tree surgeon spots them they will normally refuse to finish the job as they don't want their saw blade ruined

[Edited on 25/3/2014 by ashg]

splitrivet - 25/3/14 at 11:26 PM

One of the trees is growing about 12" from my wall and is about 9" thick likewise the neighbours so god knows what its doing to the foundations.
Its wrecking his property as well, the overhanging bit of his roof on the gable end has virtually gone, so if the roof starts leaking no doubt it will affect my property as well.
I have a chainsaw too Mike might just use it and worry about consequences later, Ive done my best to inform him.
Cheers,
Bob

coyoteboy - 26/3/14 at 12:11 AM

Bre wary, if you destabilise the tree by cutting off all one side and leaving it lop-sided you could well be classed as responsible for it falling back the other way too.

nick205 - 26/3/14 at 12:26 AM

As someone said to me once.... Seek forgiveness, don't ask permission.

ashg - 26/3/14 at 08:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
As someone said to me once.... Seek forgiveness, don't ask permission.

you mean sometimes its easier to seek forgiveness rather than ask permission :-)

Not Anumber - 26/3/14 at 08:34 AM

+1 for ringing.

Nip over the fence and cut or break off the bark in a complete ring round the trunk. Do it where it wont be obvious, where there are bushes and shrubs.

When the tree no longer produces leaves ring the council and report it as a hazard to property and life.

Unlike the other options it's always feasible this damage could have been caused by foxes or badgers.

designer - 26/3/14 at 08:49 AM

You have no right to damage the neighbours tree, but you do have the right to chop off anything over the boundary

iank - 26/3/14 at 09:02 AM

Just to be clear the law says you can cut anything off that over hangs your boundary and you must OFFER the cuttings to the owner. If he doesn't want them then I understand it's your responsibility to get rid of them (and strictly by the letter you could be considered to be fly tipping if you just chuck them over to his side - but he'd have to know the law to the letter, want to be especially arsey and have proof it was you to make trouble at that point).

If a tree is damaging property it doesn't matter that you're in a conservation area as you get pretty much automatic permission to work on it when you apply (unless it's very special) - make sure you get the formal permissions from the council (most allow you to apply on line - ours certainly does). and take photos before and after.

As I understand it if damage is being caused then you can claim against him/his insurers - if he refuses to do any work then his insurers (if he has any) won't be best pleased. Maybe suggesting that as an option to him might change his mind.

Irony - 26/3/14 at 09:14 AM

I am not sure the original poster is that interested in the letters of the law etc. I don't think he is planning on getting caught.

Irony - 26/3/14 at 09:19 AM

Hi-jacking this post a bit. I have a large Willow in my front yard that has been cut off at 10ft high. Now I have a 10ft tall Willow bush that on the inside has a 2ft diameter trunk. I need this tree dead NOW. Short of taking a chainsaw to it (which I don't have) what will kill a tree immediately?

Not Anumber - 26/3/14 at 09:22 AM

a JCB

iank - 26/3/14 at 09:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I am not sure the original poster is that interested in the letters of the law etc. I don't think he is planning on getting caught.

Probably not best to post on a public forum then
Sounds like it'll be pretty obvious who dropped then tree if it came to it.

rdodger - 26/3/14 at 09:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Hi-jacking this post a bit. I have a large Willow in my front yard that has been cut off at 10ft high. Now I have a 10ft tall Willow bush that on the inside has a 2ft diameter trunk. I need this tree dead NOW. Short of taking a chainsaw to it (which I don't have) what will kill a tree immediately?

Hire a chain saw and sell the logs to cover the cost :-)

Peteff - 26/3/14 at 10:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
Copper roof nail and a centre punch. Once they are countersunk you will never see them till you cut it down.

Then hit it with a chainsaw and knacker the chain The copper tack and piping trick is an old wives tale, ring barking will kill trees but it shows on the outside. Diesel or old fashioned creosote, strong weed killer will do it but what you are suggesting is trespass and malicious damage so get a good solicitor to defend you. He is not liable for any damage caused by the tree it is up to your insurance to cover that and possibly claim their costs back from him. Cut back to his boundary and keep offering him the cuttings, don't just throw them back over as this is an offence as well. If he is only refusing to do it because of the cost (tree work is expensive) yourself and your neighbours could offer to have it done if you are really concerned.
Irony, Willow is almost impossible to kill by cutting, if you cut off a stick and poke it in the ground it will root in weeks. You would have to get it cut right down and hire a stump grinder or get someone with one to take it below ground level then use Sodium Chlorate or similar weed killer

[Edited on 26/3/14 by Peteff]

SteveWalker - 26/3/14 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
He is not liable for any damage caused by the tree it is up to your insurance to cover that and possibly claim their costs back from him.

It is my understanding that hHe is not liable for any damage prior to him being advised that damage is likely (unless it would have been very obvious to him), but if he then ignores that advice, he becomes liable for any further damage caused.

iank - 26/3/14 at 12:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
quote:
He is not liable for any damage caused by the tree it is up to your insurance to cover that and possibly claim their costs back from him.

It is my understanding that hHe is not liable for any damage prior to him being advised that damage is likely (unless it would have been very obvious to him), but if he then ignores that advice, he becomes liable for any further damage caused.

Really, so hypotethically if your neighbours tree falls in the wind and crushes your car you have no claim against his insurance? Genuinely interested to see if that's true (having just had a tree fall and miss my neighbours property by inches - I'd assumed I'd have been liable for his new chimney and car if it had gone 10 degrees to the left)

Peteff - 27/3/14 at 09:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iankReally, so hypotethically if your neighbours tree falls in the wind and crushes your car you have no claim against his insurance? Genuinely interested to see if that's true (having just had a tree fall and miss my neighbours property by inches - I'd assumed I'd have been liable for his new chimney and car if it had gone 10 degrees to the left)

Your insurance covers damage to your property, his insurance covers his however it is caused.

907 - 27/3/14 at 01:38 PM

The "solution" is a four letter word.

Salt

SteveWalker - 27/3/14 at 02:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
quote:

Really, so hypotethically if your neighbours tree falls in the wind and crushes your car you have no claim against his insurance? Genuinely interested to see if that's true (having just had a tree fall and miss my neighbours property by inches - I'd assumed I'd have been liable for his new chimney and car if it had gone 10 degrees to the left)

From what I have read, normally there is no liability without negligence. If your neighbour knew (or it should have been obvious) that the tree was in a bad state, then you have a claim against him, otherwise not and you must claim on your own insurance.

JoelP - 27/3/14 at 07:41 PM

'being obvious who did it' and 'proving who did it' are two different matters. Id cut it down to the ground, either leave it in a pile or sell it. You can get a chainsaw quite cheaply.

Peteff - 28/3/14 at 10:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 907
The "solution" is a four letter word.
Salt

Or beer