Board logo

brushing on spray paint
Miks15 - 31/3/14 at 12:29 PM

hey guys,

im rebuilding an old honda bike engine. I'm leaving the side case bare aluminium and have a paint crankcase, block and head. Now i want to put the black detailing on the honda writing on both sides of the engine. so I was going to get a little brush and fill them in by hand.

would there be any problem with spraying paint from a spray can in to a small tub so a small pool of paint builds up and using this with a brush? I don't want to have to buy a pot of paint just for the small detailing.

Cheers

mookaloid - 31/3/14 at 12:46 PM

Done that myself lots of times

Slimy38 - 31/3/14 at 12:49 PM

The only problem I found was that there is a whole lot more thinners in the spray can, so I had to spray a lot more than I thought I would, and had to go over the paint a few times to get a solid colour.

Miks15 - 31/3/14 at 12:53 PM

Thanks guys,

Yeah that was the sort of thing i was worried about slimy, wasnt sure how different the make up of the paint was. I might give it a go on a spare cover I have to see how it turns out first.

jossey - 31/3/14 at 01:13 PM

Spray into a big jug I bought come plastic ones from £1 shop this will enable you let the thinners disperse quicker.

Slimy38 - 31/3/14 at 01:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Spray into a big jug I bought come plastic ones from £1 shop this will enable you let the thinners disperse quicker.

This makes sense, I actually tried to stir the thinners back in which was probably the worst thing to do. It was also Halfords spray paint, so a better rattle can might actually have a bit more paint in it.

Miks15 - 31/3/14 at 01:29 PM

so when you say disperse, is is all of the aerosol type bit of the spray that has the thinners in it? so if its sprayed on to a large surface area and then angled to be allowed to form in a corner, this should work better than if just sprayed in to a small tub?

owelly - 31/3/14 at 02:13 PM

I've sprayed aerosols into the cap and used a tiny brush to touch in scratches. Just leave it a few minutes for the thinners to evsporate.

Davey D - 31/3/14 at 02:36 PM

At halfords they sell touch up pens for different colours. it has a metal nib one end, so you can use it a bit like a short fat pen, or unscrew the lid, and there is a very fine brush inside

Miks15 - 31/3/14 at 07:34 PM

cheers for the advice guys!

And thanks for the tip Davey, will have a look at them next time im in halfords

Peteff - 1/4/14 at 09:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I've sprayed aerosols into the cap and used a tiny brush to touch in scratches. Just leave it a few minutes for the thinners to evaporate.

That's the way I do it, there's a fine line between the thinners going and the paint setting. Touch up pens are expensive for what they are it would be cheaper to buy a Humbrol black and use an artist brush.