Board logo

Red Ants
liam.mccaffrey - 24/6/14 at 09:06 AM

I have a lot of red ants in my office and I can’t see where they are coming from, anyone have any advice about how to persuade them to bugger off ?

I've got loads of little red stains on paperwork etc

benchmark51 - 24/6/14 at 10:26 AM

Thats the trouble, you can't sack anyone these days. Tried a written warning?

fesycresy - 24/6/14 at 10:46 AM

Slater - 24/6/14 at 10:49 AM

When I was a kid, (30 + yrs ago), when we found some red ants, we'd put them in an old margarine tub, then add a load of regular black ants then watch them fight. Very cruel I know, but at least we were doing stuff outside.

Not much help to the OP, sorry...........

keithjardine - 24/6/14 at 10:56 AM

Used this recently
SET OF 2 NEW NIPPON ANT/INSECT KILLER LIQUID 25ml GEL

Put a few blobs in several bottle caps and left them sitting around the ant runs, no more ants welcoming me in the kitchen of a morning!

Took 4-5 days replenishing daily to have effect.

nick205 - 24/6/14 at 11:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy

Now that would be a cool addition to any office

Irony - 24/6/14 at 02:04 PM

Very little you can do against red ants. The traditional Ant Powder/nippon etc doesn't really have an effect on them as they don't eat it. For 8 years I battled red ants in my lawn. At one point I had 17 red ants nest in my smallish garden. I never found a decent solution. If possible boiling water and Jeyes Fluid but you have to watch the surround fixtures/fittings etc.

Not very helpful sorry.

matt_gsxr - 24/6/14 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Very little you can do against red ants. The traditional Ant Powder/nippon etc doesn't really have an effect on them as they don't eat it. For 8 years I battled red ants in my lawn. At one point I had 17 red ants nest in my smallish garden. I never found a decent solution. If possible boiling water and Jeyes Fluid but you have to watch the surround fixtures/fittings etc.

Not very helpful sorry.

Did you try the giant anteater (Vermilingua) option?

Norfolkluegojnr - 24/6/14 at 03:25 PM

Can of lynx and a lighter?

Andi - 24/6/14 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony

Not very helpful sorry.

Yup got the same thing in my lawn. And boy do they hurt, chilling on the lawn is a thing of the past now for nigh on 5 years.
Boiling water kills the grass and nothing else seems to work.

Andi

bi22le - 24/6/14 at 10:45 PM

Sounds silly but they are looking for food.

Many years ago my l old RE Teacher rod ants from his class by putting a whole bag of sugary sweets on the flour, one big pile. The ants built a little wall around it and journeyed no further. Try a packet of sweets.