Board logo

Coupling SWA cable to plastic conduit
Browser - 30/9/14 at 06:27 PM

I've replaced an existing power cable which went to my shed (moved the shed backwards 6ft, cable doesn't reach any more!) and I found the original (Wickes-supplied) 'weatherproof' junction box had signs of water ingress. I then discovered it was only IP44 so no suprise really. What I want is a box where I can have a glanded SWA cable coming in one side (I've got the outdoor glands already) and 20mm plastic conduit in the other. It's the end fitting for the conduit I was vexed about last time as I couldn't seem to find a purpose-made part with a compression fitting (or something similar) to seal around the condy and stop water getting in. Anyone?

SteveWalker - 30/9/14 at 06:43 PM

You can buy 20mm (or 25mm) threaded plastic fittings and nuts to go into your box, where the other end is a smooth tube for gluing to the conduit into. Just like using a solvent weld waste pipe joint.

Just had a look: http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-female-adaptors-20mm-black-pack-of-2/77225#product_additional_details_container

The other type has a male thread on the end and a female nut, but does the same job.

[Edited on 30/9/14 by SteveWalker]

DIY Si - 30/9/14 at 08:03 PM

I'd go for one of the threaded insert things glued into the conduit as above, with maybe a thin rubber washer under the head inside the box.

Failing that, thi s is IP56 rated.

samjc - 30/9/14 at 09:44 PM

As stated above with a threaded fitting connected to the box and the conduit glue to the fitting. I have done similar for work but company usualy supplies a metal connection and galvanised conduit but i still run glue round the or ptfe tape if the metal conuit is threaded.

Barlidge - 30/9/14 at 10:01 PM

Stuffing Gland?