Board logo

Freesat and running cables
cliftyhanger - 14/12/16 at 10:32 AM

I am renovating a flat for my parents to go and live in. Currently doing a rewire, but had a thought. Can I run all the cables for freesat (poor aerial reception in the area) and leave them ready for a dish to he fitted. Thinking of a point in all rooms, but I have no idea. Neither does the sparky. But don't want a retrofit with cables tacked around skirtings/doors like it is usually done.
Or any pointers to where I can get the info(working off phone atm, so searching is a nightmare)
Tia
Clive

[Edited on 14/12/16 by cliftyhanger]

ianm67 - 14/12/16 at 11:59 AM

I'm no expert but I don't see why not? You'd need to determine where the dish would be mounted (neighbouring properties may provide a clue here) and run your cables back from your Freesat boxes to this point. One thing to bear in mind is the number of connections provided by the LNB on the dish. The biggest that I've seen has 8 connections. If you have a recording Freesat box it'll need two connections, if it's view only then only a single connection required.

ianhurley20 - 14/12/16 at 12:13 PM

Yes its not a problem at all, have a look around http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm , Martin, who runs the company, has posted a tremendous amount of information on this site as well as selling quality products. You may need to run more than one cable if you have a sky+ setup with more than one lead to the LNB in which case you can get 'shotgun' cable which is two much smaller cables that take less room up. Have a look at the sections on distribution as well as it is very helpful

[Edited on 14/12/16 by ianhurley20]

[Edited on 14/12/16 by ianhurley20]

cliftyhanger - 14/12/16 at 12:21 PM

Lovely! Ta.

SteveWalker - 14/12/16 at 07:19 PM

If you want to be able to have point in each room and use more than one at a time, you can use an LNB with multiple outputs, but depending how many locations you want, it may be worth bring 4 cables to a central location and then using a satellite multi-switch to distribute them. We have three boxes, each needing two feeds, running from a single quad LNB and with spare capacity to feed another box at a later date.