Board logo

laser cutting - multiple parts on one drawing
smart51 - 28/11/20 at 10:42 AM

I'm planning to get some parts laser cut. It turns out it is cheaper to put 8 of the same part on one drawing than have a single part and buy a quantity of 8. I suspect they price in a square of material around the part, so nesting 8 parts means you're paying for less material. Is there a problem doing it this way?

russbost - 28/11/20 at 10:57 AM

Hi John, can't see a problem, but normally with laser cutters I've used you just give them the drawing & tell them how many you want, they will then stick it into their CAD & juggle things to get the most out of a given size of plate. When doing small runs the biggest problem normally is minimum price which varies from one to another, I've seen as low as £50 & as high as £300

smart51 - 28/11/20 at 11:09 AM

I've previously used fractory.com. You upload the dxf file, select the material and quantity and the price is generated automatically. The price seems to be the square of material (un-nested) plus the length of cut. I'm certain they would nest them manually, but wouldn't refund the material saving.

russbost - 28/11/20 at 12:23 PM

I tried fractory b4, IIRC they either didn't come up with any quotes or got a stupidly expensive quote. Last time I had any stuff done I used LaserMaster - they were quick, reasonably priced & excellent quality - if donlaser/doncaster laser have started up again I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, they were going into administration during my last order, only ever got about half the order, couldn't get any response to emails & telephone calls never got the money back & quality wasn't great either!

www.lasermaster.co.uk

sales@lasermaster.co.uk

rf900rush - 28/11/20 at 04:54 PM

I have used this company
https://www.sorblasercutting.co.uk/

Uploaded drawing and got a quote on line.
The last order I added 2 just for spares and they also gave 2 spare on top in the quoted price.
From memory, it was about £120 for 12 off. Ali about 10"X5".

lsdweb - 28/11/20 at 07:27 PM

I had a pair of steering column brackets laser cut by a local company. I just sent the design and asked for 2.

He charged £15 incl posting but when I sent more stuff he never did them!

[Edited on 28/11/20 by lsdweb]

TimC - 29/11/20 at 11:44 PM

It’s water rather than laser but I can’t speak highly enough of https://www.octagonprecision.com/