Board logo

Cabin Motorcycle
jonititan - 21/5/21 at 07:22 AM

Has anyone considered building a cabin motorcycle?

I've been inspired by the Ecomobile

https://youtu.be/xT__fZYYxMI

nick205 - 21/5/21 at 09:26 AM

Slightly different style to the one in the video, but the was a member on here building a cabin scooter type thing a while back (can't recall who though). IIRC it was a bubble type thing with a scooter rear end and maybe two front wheels. It may even have been a side by side 2 seater.

nick205 - 21/5/21 at 09:28 AM

Member is

smart51

There's some photos of it in his picture archive.

russbost - 21/5/21 at 10:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Slightly different style to the one in the video, but the was a member on here building a cabin scooter type thing a while back (can't recall who though). IIRC it was a bubble type thing with a scooter rear end and maybe two front wheels. It may even have been a side by side 2 seater.

What you are describing is a reverse trike, which is quite different to an enclosed bike - funnily enough this was something I almost did prior to designing the Furore, but I was intending to have the "stabiliser wheels" operated by a foot pedal within the cabin - I never got around to doing it because I built the Furore & started a business I never intended to!

I still think an electric version of this would be a great alternative to a bike, if it has some built in side/roll protection would be massively safer than a motorcycle, plus more streamlined & therefore more efficient thro' the air, plus you're not sitting out in the elements - too many projects, not enough time!!! I still have a part built reverse trike sitting & going rusty cos I can't find the time to finish it!

steve m - 21/5/21 at 10:49 AM

https://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/quasar/Quasar-1976-CX-DSC-5070.htm

Ugly as poo though

jonititan - 21/5/21 at 10:52 AM

Yes exactly.

I think an electric version could be an ideal commuting solution. Combining lower frontal area(hence drag) and weight than a car with better protection and comfort than a bike.
Having the additional complexity of "landing gear" is well worth it in my opinion and the aerospace aesthetic is highly attractive to me anyway as an aerospace engineer.

I think if I can make some reversible moulds I could make a series of sandwich panels for each side.
However I think I should endeavour to find suitable glass and some components from an existing vehicle to make repairs and replacement possible as well as reducing custom work.
Perhaps taking elements from the Renault Twizzy though probably not the windscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utUd1LXdk_g

Mr Whippy - 21/5/21 at 11:23 AM

I was going down this route for some time to save money on fuel and to me an electric reverse trike would be fantastic, coupled with mental streamlining. However just about everything in the MSVA test was a huge barrier, especially trying to a electric one, their requirements were ridiculous. In fact it just felt like they didn't want you to even bother. So I gave up and just bought an EV instead and now there's no point in such machines. Although now I think I'd start with an electric motorcycle and then convert that to a reverse trike as that may be easier. So long as you don't modify the frame and don't bother telling the pencil pushing DVLA muppet show you should be fine.

I was going thinking along this kind of line - youtube linky

[Edited on 21/5/21 by Mr Whippy]

russbost - 21/5/21 at 01:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I was going down this route for some time to save money on fuel and to me an electric reverse trike would be fantastic, coupled with mental streamlining. However just about everything in the MSVA test was a huge barrier, especially trying to a electric one, their requirements were ridiculous. In fact it just felt like they didn't want you to even bother. So I gave up and just bought an EV instead and now there's no point in such machines. Although now I think I'd start with an electric motorcycle and then convert that to a reverse trike as that may be easier. So long as you don't modify the frame and don't bother telling the pencil pushing DVLA muppet show you should be fine.

We've had this discussion b4 - as soon as the no. of wheels change you need to notify DVLA & it needs MSVA - which really isn't that hard!

jonititan - 21/5/21 at 01:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Was there specific items in the MSVA that turned you off the idea?
I've done some skim reading of the car and motorcycle MSVA/IVA documents and they seemed mostly reasonable with the exception that the motorcycle one has little consideration for a cabin motorcycle.

I've no wish to wear a helmet so I'm sure there would be some calcs or tests I would need to show to get the exemption for having a fully enclosed cabin.

jonititan - 21/5/21 at 02:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
https://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/quasar/Quasar-1976-CX-DSC-5070.htm

Ugly as poo though

I definitely wouldn't go this route. I agree with your opinion of the aesthetics and it doesn't tick the main boxes in my opinion.
It's anti aerodynamics and you still have to wear a helmet in that I think. Also still get rained on so pointless in my view.

jonititan - 21/5/21 at 08:23 PM

Looks like I'm not the first person to have the idea of making my own version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oO5W1gaJlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiMy7wVbgFA&t=11s