Board logo

Kitchen door hinge adustment
number-1 - 3/12/23 at 05:48 PM

Does anyone know if these hinges can be adjusted? They are on an internal kitchen door. The bottom is catching and preventing it closing

Thanks in advance

N1

[Edited on 3/12/23 by number-1]

Slimy38 - 3/12/23 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by number-1
Does anyone know if these hinges can be adjusted? They are on an internal kitchen door. The top is catching and preventing it closing

Thanks in advance

N1

They're bog standard door hinges, the only 'adjustment' is to pack them out with some cardboard. A layer of carboard behind the top hinge should drop the far edge so it doesn't catch.

tegwin - 3/12/23 at 06:12 PM

Nope, those hinges are not adjustable. You could fill in the old holes and move the hinge and re-drill them or plane a bit off the top of the door to stop it catching?

JoelP - 3/12/23 at 06:20 PM

Nice ball bearing hinges, but not adjustable. Shims may work if there's space to try, but it's not too hard to remove it and trim the top. Circular saw on a guide rail is best, but a planner would do too.

JoelP - 3/12/23 at 06:22 PM

It does look like the recess in the frame would allow the door to be dropped slightly, if you drill new holes?

number-1 - 3/12/23 at 07:07 PM

Thanks for the quick replies chaps. I’ve edited the original post as it’s the bottom not top that catches

The door was closing fine until a few months ago. Now the bottom is catching on the latch side but can’t work out why.

Slimy38 - 3/12/23 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by number-1
Thanks for the quick replies chaps. I’ve edited the original post as it’s the bottom not top that catches

The door was closing fine until a few months ago. Now the bottom is catching on the latch side but can’t work out why.

I'd have a go at tightening the top screws, it might be that it's just come a bit loose.

nick205 - 4/12/23 at 08:31 AM

These are what I've always known as kitchen door hinges...

kitchen-door-hinge
kitchen-door-hinge

...and they give ample adjustment in pretty much all directions so you can get the doors straight.

The doors and cupboard bodies need the correct recesses to allow them to fit though.