Board logo

Stop chairs sinking in gravel patio
number-1 - 12/4/24 at 05:50 PM

Can anyone give me some ideas for the following dilemma..

The missus has just installed a 20mm Cotswold gravel patio at a depth of 50mm. Her metal chairs are now sinking into it and probably damaging the weed membrane. The legs of the chairs are small rectangular ones. I think that they need some sort of wider load spreader added but a quick google doesn't bring much up. The legs are solid at the base so screwing something into it is a possibility. There are 24 legs hence the locost option. The table already has round wider feet as standard.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or any ideas for a home bodge job?

Cheers

N1

jacko - 12/4/24 at 06:36 PM

A square of 12mm plywood say 600mm square for each chair to to sit on

westf27 - 12/4/24 at 09:48 PM

Push legs through a cut hole into a tennis ball on all four legs.

Simon - 13/4/24 at 12:11 AM

Remove gravel, concrete 1" thick, spread gravel over concrete to 1" and you'll never notice sinkage.

cliftyhanger - 13/4/24 at 06:42 AM

https://camping-intl.com/products/accessories/furniture/chairs/kampa-universal-bigfoot-4pk

Or get some 3mm steel plate, holesaw 52mm rounds and drill/tap the legs, bolt in place

number-1 - 13/4/24 at 12:40 PM

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Cliftyhanger.....i went for that option but square ones. Top man.

I found some 50mm x 50mm square 3mm steel packing plates for £15 delivered for 24 of them.

coyoteboy - 15/4/24 at 08:19 AM

Gravel is the single worst patio/drive substance. Even with weed membrane you'll be weeding it throughout the year as wind-blown seeds get hold. Stuff sinks in. Gravel gets kicked about, and you need to modify you furniture to work on it. I feel for you!

nick205 - 15/4/24 at 09:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Gravel is the single worst patio/drive substance. Even with weed membrane you'll be weeding it throughout the year as wind-blown seeds get hold. Stuff sinks in. Gravel gets kicked about, and you need to modify you furniture to work on it. I feel for you!

Brother & sister in law have gravel area with BBQ and garden furniture. As you say it's a grade A PITA, constant weeding, gravel all over the lawn, rusty garden furniture legs, uncomfortable to walk on barefoot.