Board logo

robin hood s7
zzrpowerd-locost - 18/12/05 at 07:35 PM

Is it the S7 that has the horrible suspension setup???

steve m - 18/12/05 at 07:38 PM

nooooooo

its all robin hoods !!!!

zzrpowerd-locost - 18/12/05 at 07:40 PM

So steer clear then?

gary gsx - 18/12/05 at 07:42 PM

The one with the inboard shocks??

zzrpowerd-locost - 18/12/05 at 07:44 PM

Dont know, theres one on ebay, rolling chassis

gary gsx - 18/12/05 at 07:48 PM

Horrible i had one total poooooo, broke it in the death and made me money back + a bit more I said to the mrs never again and here i am building a locost

steve m - 18/12/05 at 07:54 PM

only my opinion, but why build a sportscar that is nearly as heavy as its donor

again my opinion, robin hoods,pig ugly
and to big

[Edited on 18/12/05 by steve m]

[Edited on 18/12/05 by steve m]

gary gsx - 18/12/05 at 07:59 PM

lol your right there, it was very cheap but the more i took of it the bigger the pile o shite got, didnt even enjoy working on it so bailed out, plus id done a ton of dosh on me bike and mrs was moaning (whats new ) reckon she done me a favour lol

andy d (rizla) - 18/12/05 at 08:03 PM

nowt wrong with a s7,i had one,very nippy(monocoque chassis inboard suspention)

more smiles pond for pound than other cars Rescued attachment 1a.jpg
Rescued attachment 1a.jpg

emsfactory - 18/12/05 at 08:16 PM

what about the new lightweight?
anyone any experience?

scotty g - 19/12/05 at 09:08 AM

The 2b weighs a bloody ton, its too big and too fugly. The lightweight has swung to the opposite end of the scale, its incredibly light, perfect size but is it strong enough?????
Loads of people are interested in it including myself but they are just too scared to spend the money incase it turns out to be a total dogs dinner of a car and fall apart at the first speed bump!!
The one on display at Exeter had a Duratec in it, damn tight fit though but must be quick.

ditchlewis - 19/12/05 at 09:58 AM

In my opinion, the ones i have seen are very crude and would take a lot of work to finish off to a realy high standard. i saw one at a garage being finished for someone and he had spent over 10k on somthing that looked... well very crude.

if you buy a "more expensive kit" it will turn out cheaper in the end.
but thats just my opinion.

Ditch

scotty g - 19/12/05 at 10:01 AM

God only knows how he managed to rack up £10K, the only one that costs anything even approaching that is the superspec which is basically just a posher 2b.

ditchlewis - 19/12/05 at 10:11 AM

Thats what i thought, it looked s**t with ply panels on the interior, and lots of sharp edges on the stainless panels.

they are not for me at all. the light weight is all panels which if the factory finish that i have seen on that 2B is repeatedit would take the first time builder much more to finish off, therefore less chance if a realy good finish.

Ditch

zzrpowerd-locost - 19/12/05 at 12:11 PM

Well i got a reply of the bloke selling the one on ebay, aparently it has the cortina suspension but will convert to wishbones

Sounds alot of work to me?

ditchlewis - 19/12/05 at 12:58 PM

using cortina wishbones would make it a very old kit would it not? they have been using a Sierra for a good few years now havent they?

Ditch

MikeRJ - 19/12/05 at 01:38 PM

The S7 had a whole range of suspension options, including the Cortina front subframe, which is the most hideous looking bit of scrap metal ever produced. It does mean that there is a set of Cortina uprights lurking under there though, so not all bad news

I still have a old S7 that I bought just as a donor! Need to get shot of it though.

ChrisGamlin - 20/12/05 at 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by emsfactory
what about the new lightweight?
anyone any experience?

Having seen a Lightweight chassis being built in the flesh, I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole, truly scarily unsafe and very poorly designed

If you look on the RHOC website under chassis, there are a few threads on the lightweight, and in one someone has cross posted a post I put on the Yahoo BEC list going into much more detail.