Board logo

Stupid Oil Starvation!! AARGGGHHH
ashg - 1/7/11 at 08:53 AM

Ok as some of you know i stuck a saab turbo engine in my car. to get it in had to lop quite a bit off the sump to get the ground clearance. all seemed fine for about 1000miles or so until i realised that accelerating hard in a corner my oil light was coming on. everyone knows how that story ended. 4 dead big ends.

so rebuilt the engine (new short block old head) added extra baffles to the sump and put a windage tray over the top of the sump. got the car back on the road this morning, took it for a run to work and it still seems to be having oil starve issues although not quite as bad as it was.

i will put some pictures up tonight of the before and after the sump mods, im a bit hacked off as i really though the modifications would sort the issue and they haven't.

i am now at the point where i dont know what else to do, other than drysump the stupid thing and be done with it.

SeaBass - 1/7/11 at 09:06 AM

I presume you shortened the pickup pipe - are you sure it doesn't have any holes in it which would draw in air and cause issues. I was about to reinstall my Zetec blacktop pipe when I thought I should check the reweld I did with soapy water. Good job I did there were a few pinholes - I closed them and it has been no problems since on tracks etc etc.

StrikerChris - 1/7/11 at 09:17 AM

Have you replaced any of the lost oil capacity,as in with an extra oil cooler,or longer wider sump maybe?Its suprising how the level will drop when its running and all the galleries etc are full.

welderman - 1/7/11 at 10:08 AM

u2u

bilbo - 1/7/11 at 10:17 AM

Have you considered using an oil accumulator (e.g. Accusump)

Got one on mine and it seems to work very well.

ashg - 1/7/11 at 11:02 AM

i did think about an accusump but with all the extra turbo gubbins in the engine bay its going to be a tight fit.

ashg - 1/7/11 at 11:03 AM

yes i extended it to get the capacity back to 5l which is what it was in the beginning

franky - 1/7/11 at 11:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg
i did think about an accusump but with all the extra turbo gubbins in the engine bay its going to be a tight fit.

you could fit it in the passenger footwell. Easy to operate there too.

I hate oil pressure issues

MikeRJ - 1/7/11 at 11:23 AM

A friend of mine had oil surge issues with his Mi16 engined Pug 205 and no amount of baffling would fix the issue, even the official Peugeot Talbot baffled sump and windage tray was not up to the job. Even though if fitted a higher pressure oil warning switch and a big warning lamp on the dash he went through maybe 4 or 5 engines before going for a dry sump and had no oil surge problems since (though plenty of other problems!).

flibble - 1/7/11 at 11:30 AM

How much did you chop off the sump Ash? Just curious as to wether I'm going to have the same issues!
I think I took an inch out of mine, to be honest it looked a pretty small sump to begin with ... Hope you get yours sorted soon

[Edited on 1-7-11 by flibble]

ashg - 1/7/11 at 02:17 PM

its not very deep 4-4.5 inch max and it still hangs under the chassis rail by an inch.

NS Dev - 15/7/11 at 08:31 PM

I have a Caterham HPC genuine wet sump on my vauxhall XE engine, and I have no idea how the hpc's that you used to see lots of on track days managed, because I get oil surge on roundabouts!

I am dry sumping it as soon as I have the time, I have all the bits ready!