Board logo

Ford Puma camshaft advice
I predict a Riot - 18/5/13 at 07:59 PM

I recently acquired two sets of camshafts for a Ford Puma 1.7l Sigma engine.

One set is a standard ford unaltered set the other is, I have been assured, a re-profiled standard set ground to racing puma spec.

Now there are no numbers or distinguishing marks on either set except, what I assume, are casting numbers.

I believe that racing puma cams are only a very mild tune of the standard cams and I believe the exhaust cams are identical.

Visually I can't see any difference in the two sets.

So my questions are:-

Are the statements above correct,

Does anyone have the specifications for the racing puma cams.

How can I reliably tell the difference before, and if, I commit myself to installing the racing puma cams.

Thanks for any help.

Adrian.

will121 - 18/5/13 at 08:17 PM

do you have anything to measure the lift of the cams like micrometer or verniers to see any difference? if so measure the base circle then cam peak and subtract one from other. Best way though is to measure lift with a DTI against angle then can also see any cam duration diferances too

[Edited on 18/5/13 by will121]

snapper - 18/5/13 at 08:36 PM

Without the cam specifications and as it it a home garage fit
Don't do it
That said if it is just a base circle regrind the the lobe centres will be similar, there might be a reprofling of the lift ramp etc
It would worry me to just slap in some cams without knowing what the max valve lift is at tdc

johnH20 - 22/5/13 at 08:02 PM

FRP cams are listed on the Piper website. However it is very difficult to compare cam timing as different people have different ways of specifying it ie. at what checking clearance etc. I don't have the data to hand but on the basis that I have been able to establish FRP cams are different on both inlet and exhaust. There is also a timing difference, the FRP exhaust is advanced I think by 6 deg. There is a special cam checking tool for this, the std Puma will not do.
It is true that FRP cams are fairly mild ( I think they were emissions limited ) and there are other potentially better options available. Depends what you are looking for - if it was me though I would be wary of anything that is a regrind especially if I was not 100% confident of the source.