Board logo

which sump for mid engined track car?
daniel mason - 20/7/13 at 04:22 PM

hi all. my 06 gsxr 1000 motor arrives tomorrow and am wondering which sump an baffle kit to go for?
if i was to use the extreme engines baffle plate,could i run the standard sump with an accusump? or would i still need a swinging pickup as well? or swinging sump and baffle with no accusump? cheers

JimSpencer - 20/7/13 at 04:37 PM

Hi

now where's that special measure for string...

This could be tricky as we're all bound to say different things, GSXR's in their normal left/right orientation seem to be quite happy with a good baffle plate and with a swinging pickup in a Jedi or similar.

And I was told exactly the same for the ZX10R that's in the back of my Reynard
- But -
I opted for a baffle and an accusump - as sprint slicks and big hillclimb wings don't half generate some cornering force, and the accusump can kick in several times a lap at somewhere like Anglesey or Pembrey, so I'm very glad I did.

So I would say that normal left/right install on anything less than soft slicks or with little / no downforce then baffle & swinging pickup would be fine.

But

Your engine is the 'wrong' way round so at this point all of the above goes totally out of the window!

Me, i'd go for all three and know I hadn't got an issue

The other option is dry sump it, but I've seen one of those fail this season too, gear failure and..

daniel mason - 20/7/13 at 04:41 PM

the dry sump is circa £1600 so out of budget but a baffle and accusump not too badly priced. and is im a novice driver i wont be able to push anywhere near as hard as you guys do! thanks

Dopdog - 20/7/13 at 05:28 PM

you will surprise yourself Daniel, once in the car you will feel how good it is an push hard. Go for the best you can afford, it makes it future proof.

INDY BIRD - 20/7/13 at 05:42 PM

Speak to danny at mk I know he had a supplier for gixxer swing sumps and not to mad on price I think?

And I would put and accusump in aswell, a 2 quarts one,

I always ran a manual valve on mine and was ok on a zx12 and a blackbird,

Or keep an eye in fro 2nd hand dry sump kit they don't come along that often,

Ps there was a thread on a dominator ts 400 here I think he had a dry sump kit but may be upgrading his engine, worth a u2u even if he decided not too,

Good luck

Sean

daniel mason - 20/7/13 at 05:47 PM

spoke to danny mate. hes been really helpful as he always is. and has just blown his gsxr up with a swing sump! as i believe have mnr in their race car

eddie99 - 20/7/13 at 05:56 PM

Hi Dan,

From a fair bit of experience in sucessfully blowing up various bike engines r1's and zx10. Admitedlly no GSXRs but..

Buy the best you can afford, because its much cheaper to buy a dry sump kit now rather than a swinging pickup, blow and engine up and have to replace it and still put a dry sump on.

The engines arent meant to be kept in the one orientation, i do believe you can get away with only baffles on treaded tyres etc... but not in a car with slicks and wings.

In our delta, we learnt it needed a billet sump, baffle plate and accusump... And guess what... still managed to blow an engine up due to oil pressure....

daniel mason - 20/7/13 at 06:57 PM

seems like holeshot do a dry sump at £700 but there is no pics or details on the web site
also doesnt say whats included in the kit? i have loads of proper braided hoses and anodised jic fittings ive accumilated over the years!
£700 seems cheap but if its for the pan and pump its worth considering,as tanks are not overly expensive!

marc n - 21/7/13 at 08:04 AM

quote:

seems like holeshot do a dry sump at £700 but there is no pics or details on the web site also doesnt say whats included in the kit? i have loads of proper braided hoses and anodised jic fittings ive accumilated over the years! £700 seems cheap but if its for the pan and pump its worth considering,as tanks are not overly expensive!

hi dan
i asked jack and they dont offer the dry sump anymore, the remaining option i found was jedi who make one that is good but expensive.
i used a swinging sump and baffle on mine about £400 from memory ( i have just blown an engine but that was headgasket failure ) ive been running constantly watching oil pressure and havent seen any problems so far, however i have now changed to a rilltech sump here i believe this is what paul rodgers in rgb also runs, it is worth mentioning though that my car and pauls and indeed the rilltech cars all run mounted in their standard orientation, so im not sure how effective the sumps will be with the engine turned the other way

cheers

marc

[Edited on 21/7/13 by marc n]

daniel mason - 21/7/13 at 08:27 AM

thanks marc. how busy are you guys at the moment as i would like you to do my engine cradle on the ADR? cheers

marc n - 21/7/13 at 08:40 AM

hi mate sure we can manage to squeeze you in mate, give us a bell on monday having looked at your blog do you know ratio of your diff ?? if you are after a rilltech sump we have an account set up with them so can help on price etc

cheers

marc

daniel mason - 21/7/13 at 08:55 AM

ive been searching on line regarding the diff and with this morris axle it seems a 3.7;1 is the lowest they do
might be ok for sprinting but not on fast circuits!
does the riltech sump have a swinging pickup or just modified standard setup? i read somewhere they moved it from the back of the pan to the front which in my case would be the left side!
ill call you monday mate! any idea of price of riltech sump? cant find any details? cheers marc

marc n - 21/7/13 at 09:01 AM

quote:

ive been searching on line regarding the diff and with this morris axle it seems a 3.7;1 is the lowest they do might be ok for sprinting but not on fast circuits! does the riltech sump have a swinging pickup or just modified standard setup? i read somewhere they moved it from the back of the pan to the front which in my case would be the left side! ill call you monday mate! any idea of price of riltech sump? cant find any details? cheers marc

is it possible to put a different axle in ???? or convert to chain ??? rilltech is fixed pickup just going to try and upload some pics now of the sump and plate, cant remember price but can let you know monday :-) my other sump only swung 90 degrees which was fine for how mine is mounted but extreme do a 360 swinging sump which will be better for the way your engine is mounted
hope fully pics to follow......

cheers
marc

marc n - 21/7/13 at 09:10 AM

[img][/img]

marc n - 21/7/13 at 09:13 AM

[img][/img]

marc n - 21/7/13 at 09:14 AM

apologies for size of images

daniel mason - 21/7/13 at 04:34 PM

thanks marc!