Board logo

BEC or CEC
Greenie - 24/5/14 at 11:34 AM

Looking at BEC's but heard so many conflicting stories against a CEC...... So what advice can any one give me, which in your professional opinions is the best variant to purchase?

Peter

carpmart - 24/5/14 at 11:52 AM

No no no!!!!!!!!!

kj - 24/5/14 at 11:52 AM

Try both then decide,what would you use it for.

Greenie - 24/5/14 at 11:55 AM

Not contemplating any track days just weekend use.........

Greenie - 24/5/14 at 11:56 AM

It's ok saying NO NO NO, but why?

jacko - 24/5/14 at 12:03 PM

For road use CEC for track BEC unless you want to thrash around roads and change gearboxes just search bec and gearboxes

Matt21 - 24/5/14 at 12:06 PM

I have a cbr900 mk indy

last year I did around 15k miles in it and had no issues with engine or gearbox

but..... for road use only, if i was to buy another it would be car engined

the bike engine is great, sounds awesome, revs forever and is surprisingly pokey and torquey, but when you're just cruising the revs are rather high (3.92 diff mind...)

either way i dont think youd be dissappointed

twybrow - 24/5/14 at 12:14 PM

Do a search. People will be reluctant to comment, as the same topic has been covered soooo many times before. As already said above, get a ride out in each, and decide. I mostly use my BEC on the road, and I bloody love it!

Do a search to see the usual discussion - and get yourself a BEC as you will realise they are better.

StrikerChris - 24/5/14 at 12:31 PM

I love the sound of a bec, and the sequential box,but wouldn't like to be stuck in a traffic jam in one.for me for everyday usability it would always be cec.but everyone is different

Chris

YQUSTA - 24/5/14 at 12:34 PM

I had a BEC, it was great but if I were to get another I would look at a CEC. The reason would be for touring my BEC was at high revs and loud.

Saying that I guess it would depend on what engine and diff combination you go for, as you could drop the revs down, mine was also carbs which increases the noise level.

As others have said get out in both, only you can decide on this one as it is dependant on how you will use it.

Both have there good and bad points.

Proby - 24/5/14 at 12:48 PM

Many many pros & cons of each. Its personal choice, get out and get a drive in both.

PS : BEC's rule!!!!!!!!!!

cerbera - 24/5/14 at 02:14 PM

Horses for courses really.
My first kit was ZX9R powered and I loved it and after five years of ownership sold it to buy a 2.0 zetec MNR. Only kept that for 18 months as I didn't get the same thrill from driving it. Got a R1 powered Phoenix now, they are noisier and can be tiring if driven a long way on the motorway/dual carriageway but get it on a twisty back road and I think it's the best way to travel.

troop - 24/5/14 at 03:09 PM

Bec all the way...a friend of mine and also forum member has a Hayabusa engined car he has broken a prop and destroyed his diff (completely shattered his mountings doing rather aggressive standing starts )
But his gearbox is still going strong!!!!
I've just finished my Hayabusa engined car and have no reservations as to the strength of the engine/gearbox )

Matt21 - 24/5/14 at 04:12 PM

I'd also like to add, mines mainly used on the road, and other than motorways ive never thought 'oh i wish i had a car engine'

on the windy roads its brilliant.

traffic is also no problem, other than selecting a gear its the same as any other car, you just either pull a paddle or push a stick or pull a stick to get a gear, the clutch etc is all the same
plus you can give the throttle a blip when you're sat in traffic and watch all the girls panties drop to the floor......

[Edited on 24/5/14 by Matt21]

mark chandler - 24/5/14 at 05:13 PM

If your running a 3.92 diff in a blade powered car it's not surprising that it's tiring on a run.

Mine would still hit max revs with a 3.62, I now have a 3.14 which is far more relaxing, pulling away still a doodle, 205/60/13 on the rear.

[Edited on 24/5/14 by mark chandler]

Digimon - 24/5/14 at 05:22 PM

For road use with the odd track day I'd go for a CEC because you can't bet having a reverse gear and my BEC (not sure if they are all like this but) doesn't do traffic very well, once the clutch gets hot its like an On/Off switch

I love my BEC but I mainly use my for track days and you can't beat getting a sequential gearbox for free

ReMan - 24/5/14 at 05:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
If your running a 3.92 diff in a blade powered car it's not surprising that it's tiring on a run.

Mine would still hit max revs with a 3.62, I now have a 3.14 which is far more relaxing, pulling away still a doodle, 205/60/13 on the rear.

[Edited on 24/5/14 by mark chandler]

Wot Mark said ^^^^

Im on a 3,38 now and 15" wheels and still think I could max out the revs in top even without a turbo.
Do your engine a favour and get at least a 3.6

adithorp - 24/5/14 at 05:47 PM

There's a few common reasons given (usually by people who have never tried) as to why you shouldn't choose a BEC

1 They're noisey... AND? To be fair at speed most noise is wind buffeting not engine.
2. The rev high... AND? Thats the way they're designed and it does them no harm. Odd that people complain about the current F1 cars not reving enough.
3. They aren't reliable. Only if you don't build them right. If you search then sure you'll find failures but there's plenty of CEC failures as well you could find if you look (and not very hard)
4.You can't drive far in one.
5. You can't tour in one.
6. You cant use them in traffic.

I'll answer 4/5/6 with a topical picture...

[Edited on 24/5/14 by adithorp]

Greenie - 24/5/14 at 06:13 PM

Well I would like to thank everyone for there valued opinions, which as from the posts are are very varied as to which to buy, I have had two CEC's of which I have just sold my very quick MK Indy running on a 2ltr Zetec Blacktop. Looking to move to a Westfield with BEC........

motorcycle_mayhem - 24/5/14 at 06:51 PM

BEC's, as everybody will tell you, are noisy, high revving, difficult in traffic, unreliable and pretty gutless. You need at least a hayabusa, preferably a high capacity one too (1585cc with a bore and crank). So, yep, go for a CEC.
A CEC is quiet, refined, easy to drive. Exactly what you need with a kit car. It's even more refined if you leave the engine in the donor car, since you then end up with a nice roof, air conditioning and cup holders too.

Ugg10 - 24/5/14 at 06:56 PM

A sort of hafway house is something like the ford sigma/zetec se designed by yamaha. The 1.6 with rod bolts, cam and throttle bodies plus exhaust will make 160+ bhp and rev all day to 8k with half decent torque. Or if you have deeper pockets and bonnet clearance there is the Honda s2000 engine, 240bhp and 9k revs with the vtec effect thrown in. And finally the 4age 20v is worth looking, comes with individual tbs as standard, raw do packages of these.

[Edited on 24/5/14 by Ugg10]