Board logo

Oil Pressure Sender Testing & mounting remotely
bassett - 17/1/15 at 06:31 PM

Hi All, looking for a bit of help with my oil sender. I've got a smiths 10 bar telemetrix gauge and sender. The sender is directly screwed into a 1/8npt thread in my R1 engines oiler cooler which i imagine takes quite a bit of vibration when buzzing around the rev counter. Recently its been playing up and its gone from not always reading to not reading at all.we were pretty liberal with the PTFE tape but there is a good contact is there any way to test this at home before buying a replacement?

Whether or not it requires replacement how would i go about mounting it remotely i imagine it needs an oil line but where could i get a line with a 1/8npt male thread at one end and a femail 1/8npt thread for the sender from? and would i then have to earth this?

Thanks
Adam

daniel mason - 17/1/15 at 06:55 PM

You can get various adapters to suit jic hoses.
I have a 1/8 bspt - jic-3 adapter at engine end and. 1/8 npt to jic-3 at the gauge.
I then have a braided hose with jic-3 ends between the 2 and a mechanical stack gauge and job done. Mechanical gauges are very cheap and reliable!
In your case you could get a jic-3 to 1/8 female and screw the sensor in remotely and wire it up

[Edited on 17/1/15 by daniel mason]

HowardB - 17/1/15 at 09:16 PM

remote mounting of the pressure sender is common amongst the RGB race guys. I copied the same thing buying an adaptor hose from Merlin motorsport. I fitted the sender on the chassis, made a braket and plumbed it all together.

It was great and worked really well, until the coupling came loose and all the oil exited the engine......

It was my mistake and I have resolved the issue. The remote sender resolves the issue of the sender shaking itself apart...

HTH

The Black Flash - 19/1/15 at 10:13 AM

As above - you want something like this:

Oil Pressure Sensor / Sender 1/8 NPT Gauge Remote Adaptor Kit For Subaru Impreza

They come in a variety of fittings, and you can get adaptors for pretty much anything. Yes, you do need to earth it, well I did. They work very well, I was worried about air in the line, since it's a "dead end", but it doesn't seem to matter.

ETA - when I was having some pressure problems (fitted the relief spring wrong and the pressure was too high), I did a load of side-by-side tests with a mechanical test gauge in a different port, and they both agreed throughout - so pretty happy with this method.

[Edited on 19/1/15 by The Black Flash]

HowardB - 19/1/15 at 01:27 PM

I can take some pictures if you want?

remote_sender
remote_sender

ignore the unconventional wiring colours

hth

[Edited on 19/1/15 by HowardB]