Board logo

Throttle body "socks"
Plunky - 15/4/15 at 02:27 PM

Hi,
Does anyone know where i can get some foam throttle body covers from for sensible money?

Thanks,
Liam

mcerd1 - 15/4/15 at 02:47 PM

Don't bother, they'll kill your power, get a sausage filter or an airbox instead!

karlak - 15/4/15 at 03:01 PM

Talking of sausage filters.

Do they need oiling ? If so, which oil is recommended please.

Ugg10 - 15/4/15 at 03:39 PM

Got these from Ramair off ebay, they often have some on buy-it-now but others on auction. Think I picked these up for £25 for the pair IIRC.

I am hoping these may be a bit better than the individual ones as there is a bit more space inside.

Example here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-RAMAIR-Carb-Sock-Air-Filters-Double-Trumpet-Weber-DCOE-Dellorto-DHLA-CS-901-/391111853956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash =item5b10154784

Hellfire - 15/4/15 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by karlak
Talking of sausage filters.

Do they need oiling ? If so, which oil is recommended please.

Yes they do. They need washing and oiling quite frequently, depending on the type & location of driving you do.

Filter oil is pretty good to use.

Phil

Jenko - 15/4/15 at 08:19 PM

I used the ram air from ebay, loads of different sizes, and fantastic value. Agree with advice though, try if possible to avoid the individual sock filters and try to squeeze on a sausage filter.

austin man - 15/4/15 at 08:52 PM

Use the Ramair on my zx9 carbs

Dopdog - 16/4/15 at 01:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
Don't bother, they'll kill your power, get a sausage filter or an airbox instead!

Or even better stick a dead chicken in the end of them and get a better airflow, do as above you know you want to.

Unless you love chickens of course😊

Plunky - 16/4/15 at 01:29 PM

thanks for the advice!

Will measure up and try and find one of the twin style filters to fit

Paul Turner - 20/4/15 at 10:15 AM

I used a Ram Air "sausage" filter over my twin Jenvey bodies to replace my 15 year old K & N's which were still in perfect condition but lacked the space for decent length trumpets (60mm max). Looked good and appeared to work OK, Plenty of space for decent sized trumpets (80mm). Kept it cleaned and oiled on a regular basis.

But after 3 years of summer use the foam started to crumble. Ram Air were not interested simply saying that the foam should not be exposed to sunlight.

The K & N's are back on now and with the help of some extension pieces I have pretty decent induction length (about 90mm from the end of the TB). Still look perfect and are now 22 years old.

So if your filter is exposed (like it is on many Sevens) IMHO forget foam.