Board logo

Leaky sensor thread
karlak - 4/6/15 at 09:12 PM

Have finally got my car sorted. Well, I got it back home 7 weeks ago, but haven't been able to get it MOT'd as I buggered my back at work, disc problem, but that is mending as well

So, after a long time and lots of changes we are almost good to go.

However, I started her up yesterday and have a slight water leak form the coolant sensor which has been tapped into the Duratec water "block". Seems to only happen when at temperature. I didnt put this sensor in as part of the work done, so not sure if any sealant etc has has been used. I am going to drop some coolant out at the weekend and take a look.

As far as trying to seal it a bit better, can I just use PTFE tape (think thats what it is called). I have some white plumbers tape, is that the stuff ?

Also, the temperature of the coolant is being shown as between 96 - 99 degrees C. Too hot ? Altho, I can only take that as being correct from the ETB digidash readout. Again, any ideas how I can check it for real - I have bought a cheap thermal infrared temp thermometer, but not sure how accurate they are really.

I will start a new thread with some piccies of the car elsewhere with the changes I have done. Just cant wait to get her out on the road, as the short drive I have had to get her home felt a tad different from when she had the pinto

gremlin1234 - 4/6/15 at 09:23 PM

ptfe tape (yep plumbers white tape) should stop the leak, however it will stop the sensor working if it uses the block as the chassis connection.
in which case use a copper washer

ps: you can test a non contact thermometer by checking boiling (and frozen) water.

edit 'as' to 'a' typo.

[Edited on 4/6/15 by gremlin1234]