Board logo

I want to extend the radiator filler neck
nobrakes - 13/7/16 at 10:52 AM

As it says.
The cap is a bit awkward to use, if I could raise by 3" it'd be a lot easier to get to.
I've found alloy, brass, mild and stainless steel neck extenders, basically just a filler cap fitting on a longer tube that need to be welded/brazed/soldered to the existing radiator but I've got a plastic header tank with a moulded in cap fitting so unfortunately no good.
What I'd like is an extender that twists on in place of the existing cap. Does such a thing exist?

britishtrident - 13/7/16 at 11:26 AM

You could perhaps fit an inline filler with dumb blank cap into the top radiator hose.

What kind of rad, header tank and engine are running ? a picture says 1000 words.

hizzi - 13/7/16 at 05:45 PM

do you have or could you fit an expansion bottle elswhere and ignore the rad cap?

SteveWalker - 13/7/16 at 09:13 PM

How about fitting a flat faced flange to the extender, of a larger diameter than the existing filler; drilling 5 or 6 holes through the flange, with hex-head screws from the underside and the heads, with washers, clamping under the existing filler's edge?

Neville Jones - 14/7/16 at 08:56 AM

Take an old steel cap, remove the innards, drill a big hole in middle and weld/braze your extention that you've already sourced, to that.

nobrakes - 14/7/16 at 09:17 AM

Pic below, the cap only has to go up a few inches to around the level of the cross tube behind the side indicator.

quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Take an old steel cap, remove the innards, drill a big hole in middle and weld/braze your extention that you've already sourced, to that.

Cheers Neville, that's a good idea. I'll try making one that's cranked over to the offside and about level with the horn bracket so should be dead easy to use.

snowy2 - 14/7/16 at 12:11 PM

The hyundai i10 has a remote filler cap that connects to the top rad hose.....bolts to the landing pannel