Board logo

Which Zetec throttle body for GBS plenum
Hammy360 - 28/9/16 at 11:45 AM

Hi
I tried to fit the one from the 2 litre mondeo but the backing plate is too thick. I've heard it mentioned that you need one from a Focus but which one? I assume a 2 litre Focus blacktop? Also do I need to retain my current TPS to match my Oem loom and ecu?

Cheers guys

mcerd1 - 28/9/16 at 12:31 PM

I've no idea which one fits the GBS plenum, but as far as I know all the mk1 focus's (98-04) use the same version of the 1.8/2.0 zetec's (i.e. the last version aka: blacktop or Zetec-R or focus zetec)

if the 2.0 is anything like my 1.8 its a nasty cheap lump of plastic

[Edited on 28/9/2016 by mcerd1]

SteveRST - 28/9/16 at 02:27 PM

If OEM ecu then I guess it will be expecting the TPS to be outputting resistance values within a certain range as you open/close the throttle. I *think* it's likely that the silver-top TPS would output same values as a Focus one, but test it with a multimeter on the bench to be sure though.

Yeah Focus/Blacktop throttle body is what is intended. As you say, it has a thinner mounting base.

I used a 2.0 Mk1 Mondeo one though. Drilled the holes bigger and then used 4 sleeve nuts to secure the throttle body to the screw threads on GBS plenum.

Steve

Hammy360 - 28/9/16 at 04:43 PM

Good shout on the sleeved nuts! Btw its a blacktop I have. Thanks for the tip and photos! Gotta love this site!

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRST
If OEM ecu then I guess it will be expecting the TPS to be outputting resistance values within a certain range as you open/close the throttle. I *think* it's likely that the silver-top TPS would output same values as a Focus one, but test it with a multimeter on the bench to be sure though.

Yeah Focus/Blacktop throttle body is what is intended. As you say, it has a thinner mounting base.

Steve

AndyW - 28/9/16 at 04:45 PM

hammy

I have a blacktop Tb the plastic one, let me know if its any use. I'm still in Belgium so will sort pics of exhaust when back

Ta

Andy

Hammy360 - 28/9/16 at 04:48 PM

OK mate, give us a shout when you are back Andy

Hammy360 - 6/10/16 at 06:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRST

I used a 2.0 Mk1 Mondeo one though. Drilled the holes bigger and then used 4 sleeve nuts to secure the throttle body to the screw threads on GBS plenum.

Steve

Thanks mate,
I am doing the same as you and have ordered the sleeves. Cheers for the tip!