Board logo

Turbo conversion oil return location?
fha772 - 30/1/17 at 03:55 PM

Hi all,

I just had a quick question, I'm getting things together for my turbo conversion, and I was wondering where is the best position for the oil return hole/fitting on the sump?

Is it better towards the bottom, so it's into the oil in the sump, or higher up, so that oil surge doesn't restrict the flow?

It's a winged sump and the turbo is going to be directly above 1 side of the wing, so I can either tap straight into the top of the wing, or run it down the side and put it into the bottom of the side of the sump pan.

Cheers Frank.

madteg - 30/1/17 at 04:26 PM

It has to be above the oil level, i have got mine 50mm bellow the top flange

Nickp - 30/1/17 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madteg
It has to be above the oil level, i have got mine 50mm bellow the top flange

I'd agree Frank, higher the better. Froggy will tell you best

fha772 - 30/1/17 at 05:37 PM

I thought that, but after doing a bit of googling (dangerous, I know), there seemed to be some people saying it was better returning to the bottom of the sump, which just didn't seem right to me.
So, I thought it was best to ask people who I trust.

Nickp - 30/1/17 at 05:49 PM

BTW- will you be OK with all that power mate? Or are you going to revert it back to just 4cyls again?

fha772 - 30/1/17 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
BTW- will you be OK with all that power mate? Or are you going to revert it back to just 4cyls again?

I might got to 2 cylinders to start with, just to be safe

fha772 - 30/1/17 at 06:03 PM

Nick, it's going to be long term, over the year, but I've got to drop the sump off to fit a new gasket so I thought it would be a good time to drill and fit the return fitting while it's off.
I'm also relocating the coilpack and some other bits and pieces to make the room for the turbo.

fha772 - 30/1/17 at 07:34 PM

What fittings does everyone use for the sump?

dave_424 - 30/1/17 at 07:45 PM

I have done a return below and above oil level, both worked fine. Just go as big as you reasonably can. I used AN10 teflon braided lines for mine

Ben_Copeland - 31/1/17 at 06:56 AM

My Vauxhall turbo OEM return is well above oil line and it which a large pipe internally. I'd say about 10mm